E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Resonator Delete + Straight pipe (No crossover)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4Matic
Resonator Delete + Straight pipe (No crossover)

I've read some posts about resonator delete and most of people seems to go for X-pipe but it dampens the sound a lot and give some raspy-ness to it.
I have came across to either H-Pipe or just straight pipe in place of resonators.

Apparently, AMG Performance Exhaust has H-pipe in where resonators supposed to be (Picture below)

So H-pipe is one of my consideration but I've heard some people say just beacuse there's crossover, it will dampen the sound a lot and won't growl/bark as much as putting just straight pipes.

I have found the picture of inside of stock resonator (picture below)

Found out that it is already sort of X-pipe inside the resonator ! or maybe it's H pipe? Seems more like X pipe to me.

So I was wondering if putting the H pipe will give more growl tone into the exhaust ?
As I said some suggested to put straight pipes (no crossover) for the actual growl/bark tone in the exhaust but would it be noticeably different in H-pipe and Straight pipe? and wouldn't it effect the performance if there aren't any crossover in where resonators are?
Old 09-16-2020, 12:36 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
You'll want some sort of crossover, be it X-pipe or H-pipe. If you go "true-duals" you will loose exhaust scavenging, plus it sounds like hot garbage...just my personal taste/opinion, but I couldn't stand it so I added an x-pipe
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (09-17-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 06:41 PM

2014 W212 E350 4Matic
No True duals

Originally Posted by nota_amg
You'll want some sort of crossover, be it X-pipe or H-pipe. If you go "true-duals" you will loose exhaust scavenging, plus it sounds like hot garbage...just my personal taste/opinion, but I couldn't stand it so I added an x-pipe
I just had some people told me to straight pipe out all the way without crossover but I wasn't sure if it will sound like what I intend to be
I think I will def use either x or h pipe for it.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 4Matic
In general, an H-pipe will give more of a classic "muscle-car" type of rumble, versus an X-pipe that gives a raspy growl. (Think a classic Mustang vs a NASCAR race car.)

DON'T put in duals without a cross-over of some sort -- you will leave power on the table and as @nota_amg said -- it'll sound like crap.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 08:34 AM

2014 W212 E350 4Matic
Pop and Burble

Originally Posted by CmdrKeen
In general, an H-pipe will give more of a classic "muscle-car" type of rumble, versus an X-pipe that gives a raspy growl. (Think a classic Mustang vs a NASCAR race car.)

DON'T put in duals without a cross-over of some sort -- you will leave power on the table and as @nota_amg said -- it'll sound like crap.
My main goal is to increase pop and burbles. I've seen some posts saying X-pipe dampens the sound a lot that H pipe will give more pop and burbles while x pipe loses those sound
I'm still deciding what to put but since Mercedes AMG are for muscle sound than raspy nascar like bmw's, I'm more leaning towards H-pipe

Old 09-19-2020, 02:25 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Originally Posted by Lensar
My main goal is to increase pop and burbles. I've seen some posts saying X-pipe dampens the sound a lot that H pipe will give more pop and burbles while x pipe loses those sound
I'm still deciding what to put but since Mercedes AMG are for muscle sound than raspy nascar like bmw's, I'm more leaning towards H-pipe
Not sure on that, but mine pops and burbles, and I don't have a burble tune, but I do have an X-Pipe.