E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Front suspension Knocking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 01:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic
Post Front suspension Knocking

So Ive been having a suspension knock issue that I can not pin point. Last week I got under the car again and noticed that my outer Tie-rods are very easy to move at the ball joint (video attached ). The video doesn't show it , but I did jack up the the front suspension while checking the control arms. Both forward and rear control arms are tight. Can someone let me know if this is my issue?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2020, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
That’s normal, to be able to rotate... the issue is if there’s play in the ball joint. To check for play in ball joints, generally you grab a long prybar, and apply pressure to either compress or separate the ball joint. You’ll feel play or hear clicking and sometimes it helps to put your fingers on the joint feel it better.

I would focus on all the ball joints connected to knuckle (especially lower ones). Then check sway bar end links and body side bushings for lower control arms. The strut mounts are another component that can go...
Old 12-03-2020, 11:51 PM

2014 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
That’s normal, to be able to rotate... the issue is if there’s play in the ball joint. To check for play in ball joints, generally you grab a long prybar, and apply pressure to either compress or separate the ball joint. You’ll feel play or hear clicking and sometimes it helps to put your fingers on the joint feel it better.

I would focus on all the ball joints connected to knuckle (especially lower ones). Then check sway bar end links and body side bushings for lower control arms. The strut mounts are another component that can go...

Thanks for the reply. So I forgot to mention that my swaybar links, struts, strut mounts, were all replaced. The noise persisted before and after those parts were swapped. I tried to put pressure on the control arm ball joints with pliers no movement at all
Old 12-04-2020, 02:13 AM

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550 - 4Matic, 2008 ML550
Do you have Airmatic?
I had a clunking noise too - which i could not pin-point, Finally got the entire strut replaced under warranty.
But it was hard to get it to replicate - but it was most notable when going over speed bumps that were the long ones you get on 25mph streets...

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:24 AM

2014 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Quattrodude
Do you have Airmatic?
I had a clunking noise too - which i could not pin-point, Finally got the entire strut replaced under warranty.
But it was hard to get it to replicate - but it was most notable when going over speed bumps that were the long ones you get on 25mph streets...

Good luck.
No airmatic , but my struts, mounts and bearings were replaced when lowering the car on vogtland springs. I've since went back in and out the stock springs back on. Lol. Too much of a headache with getting the camber corrected, with zero benefit (to me) other than looks

Old 12-04-2020, 05:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
e350 ML350
That seems pretty easy play on the tie-rod ends to me. Replacements are inexpensive, though you'll probably need an alignment as a result.

I'll also second the sway bar links. I was able to diagnose mine in my driveway by finding a little bump that triggered the noise consistently, then had one of the kids bounce the suspension up and down, repeating the clunk while I simply held on to the various parts tie-rods, control arms, sway bar links. Sway bar links it was!