E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 4Matic H or X? (Not what you think..)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 02:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 E550 4matic
E550 4Matic H or X? (Not what you think..)

Before everyone starts warming up their fingers and preparing to type their own opinion about when you should use which setup and when its irrelevant, let me preface my question by stating: I already have a pretty solid idea on what the differences are and what performance gains, or lack thereof, that each provide. Now, onto the entrée.

Lots of threads I see about X pipe or H pipe or Straight pipe. Thing is, 98% of the time, they are in AMG forums. Non AMG here with Stock exhaust. After having my larger resonator removed last week and replacing it with two straight pipes, I noticed it added just a smidge of sound. I like it. However, I wouldnt say Id like a bit more sound but more that Id like a bit deeper rumble. Check some videos on youtube of a regular Charger or Challenger RT with stock exhaust, NO MODS and listen to that idle. Just a low, non obnoxious rumble. I started looking into it and havent found many posting videos or sound clips of H pipes/Xpipes. Not doing a muffler delete and not looking for performance. Nor am I doing any form of cat delete. Just wondering if anyone has any videos of just resonator delete + H pipe, and Resonator delete + X pipe. Wanting to hear differences in these two setups even though they may be minor. Also, for our cars, there are two resonators. From front to back there is a smaller normal muffler looking resonator and then after about a 10in or so, theres another much much larger resonator. Wondering if removing both and having one large H/X pipe will alter the sound much more than just removing the larger resonator and replacing it with an H/X pipe. No need to really debate on which is better, just simply looking for a more apples to apples comparison. Videos seem to work best. Trying to put together a setup that gives me a deep rumble that isnt really all that loud. Opinions are appreciated. Experiences are appreciated even more.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
I’d be interested as well. OP, which E550 are we talking, 5.5 NA or 4.7 TT? Seems like there’s a lot more info and videos on the 4.7 TT.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
14 polar white E550
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
I’d be interested as well. OP, which E550 are we talking, 5.5 NA or 4.7 TT? Seems like there’s a lot more info and videos on the 4.7 TT.
Sig says 12 E550 so 4.7tt . I have a 2014 E550 with Downpipes and i used an X-pipe with E63s muffler and the sound is awesome . H-Pipe does not have good scavenging characteristic vs the X-pipe . Yes we have have turbos and it does not mean much but i feel like H pipes are more for old school applications .
Old 01-20-2021, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Originally Posted by Amr_c63
Sig says 12 E550 so 4.7tt . I have a 2014 E550 with Downpipes and i used an X-pipe with E63s muffler and the sound is awesome . H-Pipe does not have good scavenging characteristic vs the X-pipe . Yes we have have turbos and it does not mean much but i feel like H pipes are more for old school applications .
Thanks, looking on mobile it cuts that info out.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 01:03 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 341 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Amr_c63
I think the OP posed an interesting question with reasonable expectations. Just the V6 here, no plans for any changes but I got to thinking about the H vs X setups. I tend to agree with scavenging comment above, I think all you see on later (ECU controlled) vehicles is the X setup. I think the flow characteristics are better. I wondered how it affects 02 sensor reporting since it's behind the downstream sensors, can't say offhand. I'm guessing that the only delta may be back pressure.

My 57 Chevy is built old school with a 454, and it has the H pipe with 3" exhaust/ headers. I noticed that the sound was definitely better balanced with a slightly deeper tone. In my case the H pipe was installed for tone/balance - I have never dyno'd before and after, wasn't too important.

Curious to see the results here.

VW2MB (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 01:18 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
deleting either resonator by itself will give you about the same sound, a nice low, quiet rumble. Removing both resonators will provide the same sound, simply louder. I have an X-Pipe and have in several configurations. 2.5" with no mufflers and both resonators, then I removed the larger resonator and replaced with an x-pipe. then I had the other resonator removed. Then i went 3' catless, etc...

I like the x-pipe, but it does tend to add some raspy-harshness, almost tin-y sound, little "TINK-TINK-TINK's" in there at high revs. I too am curious about how the H-pipe would sound, but I've never heard one. Maybe I'll do it sometime just to see, been thinking about changing things up again...

X-pipe vs H-pipe, power wise, the difference is negligible. From what I remember from old engine dyno articles, X-pipe had a few more HP with a little less torque, where the H-pipe setup made a touch more torque and less HP.

Last edited by nota_amg; 01-20-2021 at 01:21 PM.
VW2MB (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 01:41 PM

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Originally Posted by nota_amg
deleting either resonator by itself will give you about the same sound, a nice low, quiet rumble.
Does this impact SMOGing the car at all? Cali SMOG requirements are nutso, so I'm always paranoid about doing anything to my car.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:46 PM

2012 E550 4matic
deleting either resonator by itself will give you about the same sound, a nice low, quiet rumble. Removing both resonators will provide the same sound, simply louder. I have an X-Pipe and have in several configurations. 2.5" with no mufflers and both resonators, then I removed the larger resonator and replaced with an x-pipe. then I had the other resonator removed. Then i went 3' catless, etc...

I like the x-pipe, but it does tend to add some raspy-harshness, almost tin-y sound, little "TINK-TINK-TINK's" in there at high revs. I too am curious about how the H-pipe would sound, but I've never heard one. Maybe I'll do it sometime just to see, been thinking about changing things up again...

X-pipe vs H-pipe, power wise, the difference is negligible. From what I remember from old engine dyno articles, X-pipe had a few more HP with a little less torque, where the H-pipe setup made a touch more torque and less HP.
Yeah that's my thing. I've heard that the X pipe adds some raspyness to the tone. Whether I like that or not, I have a tough time finding a video comparison with the H pipe. And yes TT E550. As I said yeah I know about the performance gains or lack thereof. But I suppose I'm looking for purely sound related differences. I thought about saying screw it myself and getting an H pipe put on I just wasn't sure of the configuration. I'm currently left with just the smaller resonator and stock mufflers. Wondering if I should have them make one large H pipe setup, or should I just replace the two straight pipe setup I have after the resonator with an H pipe? Can't decide.

I've heard some.video comparisons on different cars, but never on ours. Mainly mustangs and challengers and camaros. The big 3 obviously and the difference is definitely pronounced. However with firing order and different engine characteristics, I assume our engines won't sound anything like that. You wouldn't have happened to take any videos or sound clips of your car as you removed certain exhaust pieces would you?
Old 01-20-2021, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E550
Deleting both resonators and adding an X-Pipe will barely make a difference (sound wise). I had it done and wasn't happy with it so I removed it (wasn't loud enough). You need to mod your mufflers or replace them with AMG ones to get a nice sound similar to the amg cars. I got a shop to fit the C63 Performance exhaust with the H-Pipe and now I love it.

Muffler mod option that you could do:

My old X-Pipe set up
retna7 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 02:12 PM

2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by E550Amg
Deleting both resonators and adding an X-Pipe will barely make a difference (sound wise). I had it done and wasn't happy with it so I removed it (wasn't loud enough). You need to mod your mufflers or replace them with AMG ones to get a nice sound similar to the amg cars. I got a shop to fit the C63 Performance exhaust with the H-Pipe and now I love it.

Muffler mod option that you could do:

My old X-Pipe set up
Nice. And while I respect that, I don't want my car as loud as an AMG. That's a bit excessive for me. Considering how often I drive my car, removing one resonator may not have made a big difference...but it's very very noticeable...to me. I notice a bit of a rumble on takeoff and on startup. To another rider, they wouldn't notice but I definitely do. I like the sound honestly. It's enough for me. I'd just rather have a deeper bassy tone to it. Doesn't necessarily have to be louder. I plan on keeping stock mufflers.

Something I had just thought of however, what if someone replaced the smaller resonator with a sound altering muffler? Flowmaster/Borla/Magnaflow things of that nature. Sound would be altered but it'd be so far back in the chain that maybe the sound won't be obnoxious. Obviously that would be far less than ideal for performance gains. But speaking strictly on sound, maybe that would be an incredible difference?
Old 01-20-2021, 06:41 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Originally Posted by TeeEl
Does this impact SMOGing the car at all? Cali SMOG requirements are nutso, so I'm always paranoid about doing anything to my car.
ooph! I have no idea what the laws are, but it is possible it might fail a visual test if you remove them. It will not cause a CEL of increase emissions any though, just be louder.
TeeEl (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 06:48 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Originally Posted by E550Amg
Deleting both resonators and adding an X-Pipe will barely make a difference (sound wise). I had it done and wasn't happy with it so I removed it (wasn't loud enough).
This is true. Removing both resonators and leaving the mufflers will not be as loud as removing the mufflers and leaving the resonators in place. Honestly, because of the turbos, having the car straight-piped is the best "budget" option. It's loud, but not near as loud as you would expect...as long as you leave the cats in place...
Old 01-20-2021, 06:52 PM

2012 E550 4matic
This is true. Removing both resonators and leaving the mufflers will not be as loud as removing the mufflers and leaving the resonators in place. Honestly, because of the turbos, having the car straight-piped is the best "budget" option. It's loud, but not near as loud as you would expect...as long as you leave the cats in place...
​​​​​​That's true. I do agree that is the best budget option. In my area that can be done for about $100. Thing is, I don't particularly like the tone that comes out of the mufflers at that point. I fancy a lower pitch tone with current volume or lower. Definitely hate rasp also, so it sounds like H pipe is what I would want. However no one seems to have performed said setup. Maybe I'll have to be the first to post about it
Old 01-20-2021, 06:57 PM

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
ooph! I have no idea what the laws are, but it is possible it might fail a visual test if you remove them. It will not cause a CEL of increase emissions any though, just be louder.
Thanks! Usually no visual inspection beyond the CEL. If it won't increase emissions I might look at a resonator delete for a little extra growl when I stomp on it.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:58 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Originally Posted by VW2MB
​​​​​​That's true. I do agree that is the best budget option. In my area that can be done for about $100. Thing is, I don't particularly like the tone that comes out of the mufflers at that point. I fancy a lower pitch tone with current volume or lower. Definitely hate rasp also, so it sounds like H pipe is what I would want. However no one seems to have performed said setup. Maybe I'll have to be the first to post about it

If that is what you want, I'd go straight-piped with and H-Pipe and some nice turbo-style mufflers, like a magnaflow. That style muffler will dampen the sound so it's not raspy, but allow some of the volume to come thru. I suggest the Magnaflows because they are reversible and come in a center/offset oval muffler, which will make your install MUCH easier. I suggest using the center position as the intake, and the offset as the outlet, to be able to tuck the mufflers up inside the fender-well and out of sight.

Last edited by nota_amg; 01-20-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:06 PM

2012 E550 4matic
If that is what you want, I'd go straight-piped with and H-Pipe and some nice turbo-style mufflers, like a magnaflow. That style muffler will dampen the sound so it's not raspy, but allow some of the volume to come thru. I suggest the Magnaflows because they are reversible and come in a center/offset oval muffler, which will make your install MUCH easier. I suggest using the center position as the intake, and the offset as the outlet, to be able to tuck the mufflers up inside the fender-well and out of sight.
Now that is definitely something I've never heard of before. First things first though, you said straight pipe with an H pipe. Meaning remove both resonators and h pipe the whole thing? Or straight pipe the front resy and Hpipe the second? Just wanna make sure I'm clear on it that's all. As I've heard different placement of pipes in the same exhaust can greatly affect the sound.

Turbo style mufflers. I'll have to research that. You lost me on those lol And obviously everything else after that was a blur, but I'm trying to understand.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:17 AM

2012 E550 4matic

After more reading, your post makes sense. So you are saying go completely straight pipe from front to back but throw in an Hpipe and some turbo Magnaflow oval mufflers? Wouldn't you think that would be a tad loud?

As it stands from what videos I've seen and experiences I've heard from others...

From Quietest to Loudest...
​​​​E550 stock->E550 Resonator delete(1x) + Xpipe->E550 resonator delete(1x) + Hpipe->E550 Resonator delete(2x)->E63 Stock->E550 Resonator delete(2x) + Muffler delete->E550 Cat Delete + Resonator Delete(2x) + Muffler delete

Believe I got that right. And from what I've seen. And there's literally only one video on youtube I've seen of a CLS550 with an H pipe but unfortunately also has downpipes so it's really loud. However the tone, not the volume, I kinda like.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:41 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
After more reading, your post makes sense. So you are saying go completely straight pipe from front to back but throw in an Hpipe and some turbo Magnaflow oval mufflers? Wouldn't you think that would be a tad loud?

As it stands from what videos I've seen and experiences I've heard from others...

From Quietest to Loudest...
​​​​E550 stock->E550 Resonator delete(1x) + Xpipe->E550 resonator delete(1x) + Hpipe->E550 Resonator delete(2x)->E63 Stock->E550 Resonator delete(2x) + Muffler delete->E550 Cat Delete + Resonator Delete(2x) + Muffler delete

Believe I got that right. And from what I've seen. And there's literally only one video on youtube I've seen of a CLS550 with an H pipe but unfortunately also has downpipes so it's really loud. However the tone, not the volume, I kinda like.
Yeah, you got it!
I think I saw the CLS550 video, the white one? I like that sound, sounds totally different than mine. If that is what you're after, go for it. Just try the 2.5" pipe/h-pipe(replacing both resonators) with the stock mufflers. If it's not loud enough, get some other mufflers. Aftermarket if you don't want to spend a lot of cash, and E63 mufflers if you feel like dropping $600-800 on used mufflers...
Old 02-12-2021, 04:41 AM

2012 E550 4matic
Well guys, I did it. About a week or so ago. And must I say? I love it. H pipe sounds great on startup and no drone as well as toned down once warm. However when pushing it moderately, maybe 2500rpm+, you hear the slight deep gurgle as you move forward. Perfect sound. I wouldn't want it any louder. Definitely better than stock and tons better than res delete alone.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:05 AM

2012 E550 4matic
Since we love sound clips...don't mind the shoddy quality. Shot it last minute on a phone..
E550Amg (02-13-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 05:09 AM

2012 E550 4matic

E550Amg (02-13-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,283 Likes on 878 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
Well guys, I did it. About a week or so ago. And must I say? I love it. H pipe sounds great on startup and no drone as well as toned down once warm. However when pushing it moderately, maybe 2500rpm+, you hear the slight deep gurgle as you move forward. Perfect sound. I wouldn't want it any louder. Definitely better than stock and tons better than res delete alone.
I'd suggest having someone else drive your car, and follow in another vehicle with the window open, see how loud it is from outside while accelerating, going up a grade, etc.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:50 PM

2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
I'd suggest having someone else drive your car, and follow in another vehicle with the window open, see how loud it is from outside while accelerating, going up a grade, etc.
Possibly. Thing is once it's warmed...it almost sounds stock. Almost.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:53 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2011 Mercedes-Benz E550 4Matic
I was actually speaking to a mercedes technician from a performance shop in my area. He highly suggested the x-pipe for a resonator delete because it properly manages back pressure. I’m having my resonator and secondary cats delete this tuesday on my 11’ e550
Old 02-13-2021, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,283 Likes on 878 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
just sayin.... louder ain't necessarily faster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E550 4Matic H or X? (Not what you think..)