E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Does keyless-GO only work if you're outside the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Interesting situation we ran into one night: Stopped for gas on the way home from a friend's house (rural area) - before we turned into the station we were at a stop sign and across from us rolled up a 4 door beat up Jetta, with 20-something-ish young men in all seats, they went on down the road...

I have the FOB in my pocket at this: Pumps Only open all night gas station - because the fuel door knows you are there so it will open...

Just a few gallons in and guess what pulls in? The Jetta, but at least 2 bays over... Knocked on the passenger window and said: Start the car, to my wife; which of course she could not do - need to have a foot on the brake pedal... All four doors of the Jetta open and as they are getting out I ram the fuel nozzle back in the pump and the cap in and fuel filler door closed - quick trot around the car and I'm in and lock doors first and punch start button next. And we are so out of there...

Would have been nice for the engine to have been running, or have had a permit to carry, or my Wife driving. But Keyless Go was not our friend that night... Folks that drive nice cars are targets...

My $.02 on one of the downsides of Keyless Go
The fuel filler door is unlocked with the driver's door in my car. I can leave the key in and fill up.

I understand that the car can be started up with the key without pressing on brake if you use the key in the ignition instead of the button. I have not tested for this but someone mentioned it somewhere here in the forums.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by Arrie
I understand that the car can be started up with the key without pressing on brake if you use the key in the ignition instead of the button. I have not tested for this but someone mentioned it somewhere here in the forums.
This is correct. No need to press the brake if using the key in the ignition.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 02:47 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
2013 E550 sedan
Originally Posted by Arrie
The fuel filler door is unlocked with the driver's door in my car. I can leave the key in and fill up.

I didn't know that - thanks! I see the 2nd scenario playing out worse: tap on passenger window and tell wife: Hey pop the start/stop button off and put the key in and start the car. About then is when the 4 guys would be standing around me...

It will require some advance planning to ditch the button for the key - just in case... Think I'll try to avoid any bad parts of town - then again in the situation I mentioned, it is rural, not a criminal hangout. Just one of those crimes-of-opportunity things, that fortunately did not progress...
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (02-07-2021)