persistent alignment issues w212 airmaric 4matic 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 w212 350d airmatic 4matic bluefficency
persistent alignment issues w212 airmaric 4matic 2012

Hello,

I own an 2012 w212 4matic airmatic 350d bluefficency.

Bought the car 5 months ago and I can't figure out why the steering isn't functioning properly.

I noticed that when turning to the left the steering wheel is heavier to steer and the feedback is greater than steerig to the right. Did a couple of wheel adjustments, the car was almost fine, after 100km the issue reapeared.

2 benz shop said it's the steering rack. Change it, did the alignment, everything ok, after 100km the issue is there.

Went to a private service that had Hunter alingment tool, aligned again, all cool, yet again loses.

The car drives straight and the steering is straight.

3 days ago we changed the front bushings and the arms, thinking that it will help. After 200km the steering started to lose thr anglr and wasn't straigt at all. Went to a service strait away and the back right wheel had the toe out so extreme it was visible with the naked eye!

I really don't know what to do and all mechanics had their own opinion but after 8,000 nothing helped.

Right now I was thinking that all along the right back wheel had the problem and that's why the steering is uneven.

Did any of you guys had the same issue? Should I try to change the bushings / arms at the back?

Im newbie in mecanics but I try to figure it out because is driving me crazy...

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-10-2022, 05:52 PM

W212
Originally Posted by Ionut Catalin
Hello,

I own an 2012 w212 4matic airmatic 350d bluefficency.

Bought the car 5 months ago and I can't figure out why the steering isn't functioning properly.

I noticed that when turning to the left the steering wheel is heavier to steer and the feedback is greater than steerig to the right. Did a couple of wheel adjustments, the car was almost fine, after 100km the issue reapeared.

2 benz shop said it's the steering rack. Change it, did the alignment, everything ok, after 100km the issue is there.

Went to a private service that had Hunter alingment tool, aligned again, all cool, yet again loses.

The car drives straight and the steering is straight.

3 days ago we changed the front bushings and the arms, thinking that it will help. After 200km the steering started to lose thr anglr and wasn't straigt at all. Went to a service strait away and the back right wheel had the toe out so extreme it was visible with the naked eye!

I really don't know what to do and all mechanics had their own opinion but after 8,000 nothing helped.

Right now I was thinking that all along the right back wheel had the problem and that's why the steering is uneven.

Did any of you guys had the same issue? Should I try to change the bushings / arms at the back?

Im newbie in mecanics but I try to figure it out because is driving me crazy...

Thank you in advance!
Hi @Ionut Catalin ,

I saw your post and wanted to ask if you have had any luck with solving the problem?

I have a W212 with both 4matic and Airmatic and I am having very similar symptoms with the car and it is driving me crazy.

Thank you in advance for the answer.

Old 04-26-2022, 11:26 AM

2012 w212 350d airmatic 4matic bluefficency
Unfortunately I haven't fixed the problem and drove me INSANE as well. Gave the car to my girlfriend that drives it in the city and bought a GLC for myself.

The last operation that I did and improved somehow the steering, was changing the two screws that link the back arms to the chassis.

Some technicians told me that maybe the chassis isn't straight and that's why it loses the geometry.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:36 PM

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
W212 E350
Originally Posted by Ionut Catalin
Unfortunately I haven't fixed the problem and drove me INSANE as well. Gave the car to my girlfriend that drives it in the city and bought a GLC for myself.

The last operation that I did and improved somehow the steering, was changing the two screws that link the back arms to the chassis.

Some technicians told me that maybe the chassis isn't straight and that's why it loses the geometry.
Was it previously in an accident and/or salvage/rebuilt? If its the latter, google the vin and see if you can find salvage pictures. If its the former, buy a carfax and check it out. May help you reveal other problems aswell.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
MB has chassis alignment capability and the jig. VERY Proper MB workshop that is.
Did they measure chassis alignment ? attached

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Chassis Alignment.zip (1.05 MB, 16 views)