E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Question on MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 11:01 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan
Question Question on MAF sensor

I viewed several videos and tutorials on spark plug and air filter replacement. One of the videos suggested that it would be a good time to clean the MAF sensor. I don't remember which one. A search only shows a total clean out of the mass air flow meter and throttle body. But., I think there was one suggestion where you could just take the sensor out of it's path of the air flow and spray it with CRC MAF cleaner.
This question is for engine 276 in a W 212 Model year 2016

Thanks in advance.
BTW the removal of the connector on the top of the coils is quite difficult, maybe the hardest part of the job on the right side of the motor.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
if you dont have a maf fault you are better off mowing your girlfriends yard vs so called maf cleaner application
where do you read this giberish
Old 02-08-2021, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,296 Likes on 886 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
indeed, MAF cleaner often does more harm than good. as long as you have been using proper OEM style air filters (either Mercedes or Mann), and the filter has been replaced prior to it completely failing, the MAF will never get dirty.

the one dirty MAF I'm aware of was on a Volvo where the previous owner had been using K&N filters and over-oiling them. If I see a K&N sticker on a car that I'm looking at, I walk away.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by Plutoe
if you dont have a maf fault you are better off mowing your girlfriends yard vs so called maf cleaner application
where do you read this giberish
Thanks for the advice.
BTW I read the giberish as you call it on this forum and other sites on the intergoogle
Old 02-08-2021, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
indeed, MAF cleaner often does more harm than good. as long as you have been using proper OEM style air filters (either Mercedes or Mann), and the filter has been replaced prior to it completely failing, the MAF will never get dirty.
I agree you can get into real trouble trying to fix a problem that isn't there. I've ruined a MAF on my older MB trying to clean it
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if you actually DO have a dirty MAF, for instance from oil based air filters, remove the MAF entirely from the car, hold it horizontally, with the electronics module ON TOP and one side tipped slightly down, and spray the cleaner at the hot wire or hot film element in the middle, letting the cleaner drain out the downhill side, this way the cleaner doesn't run down the wires and get into the electronic module. make sure its completely dry before reinstalling.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C180 K
MAF Sensor PID readings not upto 'Spec'

Originally Posted by Alandf
I viewed several videos and tutorials on spark plug and air filter replacement. One of the videos suggested that it would be a good time to clean the MAF sensor. I don't remember which one. A search only shows a total clean out of the mass air flow meter and throttle body. But., I think there was one suggestion where you could just take the sensor out of it's path of the air flow and spray it with CRC MAF cleaner.
This question is for engine 276 in a W 212 Model year 2016

Thanks in advance.
BTW the removal of the connector on the top of the coils is quite difficult, maybe the hardest part of the job on the right side of the motor.
Hi All,
I am new to this forum, so please let me know if I am doing anything wrong. I have an old 2004 (I think ) C180 Kompressor. The old lady has never failed me and is a genuine work horse, but I am trying to troubleshoot some acceleration problems (Focussing on MAF) . I hooked it up to the OBD reader, and the MAF PID shows ~2Gms/Sec at idle (which I believe is ok), But at 2600 RPM it only shows 8Gms/Sec . (I have been led to believe that it should be in the vicinity of 15G/S ). Should I replace or Clean, Or is my MAF good? No Fault codes except an old code for misfire in Cyl 4 which was when I replaced the ignition coil for 4. Nothing Since. Thanks a ton in advance. Appreciate your inputs.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by piyush.bish
Hi All,
I am new to this forum, so please let me know if I am doing anything wrong. I have an old 2004 (I think ) C180 Kompressor. The old lady has never failed me and is a genuine work horse, but I am trying to troubleshoot some acceleration problems (Focussing on MAF) . I hooked it up to the OBD reader, and the MAF PID shows ~2Gms/Sec at idle (which I believe is ok), But at 2600 RPM it only shows 8Gms/Sec . (I have been led to believe that it should be in the vicinity of 15G/S ). Should I replace or Clean, Or is my MAF good? No Fault codes except an old code for misfire in Cyl 4 which was when I replaced the ignition coil for 4. Nothing Since. Thanks a ton in advance. Appreciate your inputs.

you probably want to post that in the appropriate section for your C, as its not a W212, which is a 2011-2016 E class. Guessing its a W202 or 203 family.... yeah, 203, which is 2000-2007 C class. your engine is quite a few generations behind whats current. but in general, what I said about cleaning MAF's applies to everything, its rarely needed unless something bad has happened to the intake air path, like using an oiled air filter, or driving on very dusty roads with a perforated/failed air filter, and its a lot easier to do harm than good, regardless of what some random internet site says.