E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Engine Rumble Low RPM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2021 | 12:12 AM

2014 Mercedes E-350 Sport
Engine Rumble Low RPM

So i purchased an e350 last week 90,500 miles on the clock. Has a loud vibration/rolling shudder type noise. Research and a few youtube videos later, Im convinced engine mounts are bad. Ordered some SKP brand engine mounts from rockauto and installed them. I didnt change the transmission mount since i figured the noise wasnt coming center way it seemed moreseo on one side. Literally made no Difference. So im snooping around the engine bay ear down with the engine idling trying to pin point the noise. Had a friend lightly stab the gas to induce the noise. he verified the same sound from the passenger floor area. So i end up checking the oil level wondering if the noise is pressure related. NO OIL ON THE DIPSTICK. Added some oil, a quart or 2. STILL NO READING ON THE STICK! In my mind im thinking youve got to be sh*ting me this car was at a dealer wit no engine oil??? i added a total of 5 quarts and still got bare minimum reading on the dipstick. Took it around and what do you know, THE NOISE IS COMPLETELY GONE. Here i am thinking i figured it out and as im taking a spirited drive off of the stop light and in my rear view i see PLUMES of thin blue smoke!!! TOO MUCH OIL!!!. i get to the garage and drop the oil. It was about 9 quarts at least so here i am again scratching my head. NoT only was the engine full of oil when i filled it but the dipstick never gave me an oil reading! to add insult to injury i fill it up with yet again a case of mobil 1 oil and THE ENGINE VIBRATION IS BACK 🤬🤬🤬. The hotter the engine gets to operating temp thE smoother and less pronounced the noise. so now im leaning moreso toward it being a pressure/oiling issue? engine oil and filter have been changed aside from 2 front engine mounts. HELP!
Old 02-08-2021 | 08:23 AM

2019 E300 4matic
Originally Posted by AC Automotive
So i purchased an e350 last week 90,500 miles on the clock. Has a loud vibration/rolling shudder type noise. Research and a few youtube videos later, Im convinced engine mounts are bad. Ordered some SKP brand engine mounts from rockauto and installed them. I didnt change the transmission mount since i figured the noise wasnt coming center way it seemed moreseo on one side. Literally made no Difference. So im snooping around the engine bay ear down with the engine idling trying to pin point the noise. Had a friend lightly stab the gas to induce the noise. he verified the same sound from the passenger floor area. So i end up checking the oil level wondering if the noise is pressure related. NO OIL ON THE DIPSTICK. Added some oil, a quart or 2. STILL NO READING ON THE STICK! In my mind im thinking youve got to be sh*ting me this car was at a dealer wit no engine oil??? i added a total of 5 quarts and still got bare minimum reading on the dipstick. Took it around and what do you know, THE NOISE IS COMPLETELY GONE. Here i am thinking i figured it out and as im taking a spirited drive off of the stop light and in my rear view i see PLUMES of thin blue smoke!!! TOO MUCH OIL!!!. i get to the garage and drop the oil. It was about 9 quarts at least so here i am again scratching my head. NoT only was the engine full of oil when i filled it but the dipstick never gave me an oil reading! to add insult to injury i fill it up with yet again a case of mobil 1 oil and THE ENGINE VIBRATION IS BACK 🤬🤬🤬. The hotter the engine gets to operating temp thE smoother and less pronounced the noise. so now im leaning moreso toward it being a pressure/oiling issue? engine oil and filter have been changed aside from 2 front engine mounts. HELP!
on the 276 engine you have to pull the dipstick out about an inch and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Because of the vacuum in the engine it takes a little while for the oil to drain back down into the crankcase. 7 liters not 9 is the Max for me when I change the oil.

Last edited by DeutscheBenz726; 02-08-2021 at 08:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AC Automotive (02-10-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
I would replace those SKP motor mounts, with known good OEM ones... Lemforder https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2042404317 and might as well do the transmission given the mileage: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2122400418

Is it a noise or vibration? Usually engine noises, you don't feel such as lifter tick, injector tick, timing chain/tensioner, misfires, rod knock, etc... If you have one or more cylinders severely misfiring or not operating (no combustion) you could feel a vibration as the engine would shake and not operate smoothly.
The following 2 users liked this post by bmwpowere36m3:
AC Automotive (02-08-2021), KEY08 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
I would replace those SKP motor mounts, with known good OEM ones... Lemforder https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2042404317 and might as well do the transmission given the mileage: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2122400418

Is it a noise or vibration? Usually engine noises, you don't feel such as lifter tick, injector tick, timing chain/tensioner, misfires, rod knock, etc... If you have one or more cylinders severely misfiring or not operating (no combustion) you could feel a vibration as the engine would shake and not operate smoothly.

sounds like a rotational vibration will post a video in a few
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:25 PM

Heres a Video of what it sounds like

Old 02-09-2021 | 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
yeah, noise while stopped, I would be checking the motor mounts. if its making vibration/noise while driving that is speed dependent, then I'd be looking at the drive shaft bearing and flex disks. those should be maintained proactively, a failed front flex disk can turn into a major catastrophe, but they normally don't fail until they are 20 years and/or 250000 miles old if my experience with older Mercedes is applicable.

i can barely tell my e350 M276 engine is running, and the car is very quiet at all speeds. its certainly a more engaging driving experience than something completely numb like a Camry or a Lexus ES but its much less than a BMW or whatever.

Last edited by Left Coast Geek; 02-09-2021 at 04:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AC Automotive (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021 | 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Hi AC,
Check the 4 units of exhaust rubber mounts. are they rubbing to body or worn/damage or overall condition ?
also there are 4 bolts securing each cat-converter , check if those are loose
last check is observe the air flow/pressure existing both end mufflers, are they the same ?

good luck
The following 3 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
AC Automotive (02-10-2021), KEY08 (02-10-2021), pierrejoliat (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021 | 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Hi AC,
Check the 4 units of exhaust rubber mounts. are they rubbing to body or worn/damage or overall condition ?
also there are 4 bolts securing each cat-converter , check if those are loose
last check is observe the air flow/pressure existing both end mufflers, are they the same ?

good luck
Thanks for the info going to get on those inspection points next