E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Clunking Noise Driver side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 12:40 AM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
thats great! Yeah per that same Youtube video you posted my sway bar links were original at 110k and out, but it was a bunch of things that made their own clunks too and it was ultimately my mounts making the biggest clunk. go enjoy your car now!
Old 05-22-2021, 04:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself
thats great! Yeah per that same Youtube video you posted my sway bar links were original at 110k and out, but it was a bunch of things that made their own clunks too and it was ultimately my mounts making the biggest clunk. go enjoy your car now!
Thanks! I definitely will
Old 05-24-2021, 04:55 PM

2012 E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Azhy
Another Update:

I swapped my 2 front sway bar links and that seemed to have fixed the issue! No more noise! Ride seems smoother too or that could just be in my head since I don't hear a rattle lol.

I spoke too soon Noise came back after a few days. Not sure what made it go away and come back, but I'm going to have to look around
Old 06-09-2021, 08:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Azhy
I spoke too soon Noise came back after a few days. Not sure what made it go away and come back, but I'm going to have to look around
I had a similar clunk that I chased down for 1.5 years. One shop even swapped out my swab links that I put in a month before. It ended you being one of my front control arms. At your milage, your front controls should be swapped anyway. I ended up ordering all 4 arms (Lemforder) from autodoc in Germany. Was hundreds of dollars less than getting them in the states.

Also when I took the car to Mercedes for an alignment, there was a recall for a steering rack bolt. This recall required an alignment so I left the Stealer-ship without paying a dollar. They also re-torqued the bolt for the bushings.. torquing those bolt with the car on ramps was hell
The following users liked this post:
Azhy (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 06:54 PM

2012 E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by KillBillz
I had a similar clunk that I chased down for 1.5 years. One shop even swapped out my swab links that I put in a month before. It ended you being one of my front control arms. At your milage, your front controls should be swapped anyway. I ended up ordering all 4 arms (Lemforder) from autodoc in Germany. Was hundreds of dollars less than getting them in the states.

Also when I took the car to Mercedes for an alignment, there was a recall for a steering rack bolt. This recall required an alignment so I left the Stealer-ship without paying a dollar. They also re-torqued the bolt for the bushings.. torquing those bolt with the car on ramps was hell
I suppose it is possible, though I didn't find any issues when inspecting them. I talked to the guy who's video I posted and he said it is possible that the installation was wrong on the links and that they needed to be preloaded for proper install. If that does not work out I will be going for those control arms next.