E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

12.3" Android Head Unit Upgrade (NO SOUND SOLVED)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 11:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500 4Matic w211
12.3" Android Head Unit Upgrade (NO SOUND SOLVED)

I just wanted to post and hopefully will help out someone out there thinking about upgrading to a 12.3" Android Head Unit, having issues with NO sounds. There are a few videos on Youtube installing which does help out removal of panels and all the Torque Bits Screw needed to be remove. But unfortunately, of all video's out there all only has the 10" Android, which has different settings and features. To make things less complicated, its actually pretty simple to do without any wires needed to plug into the AUX Port, to have sounds as indicated. You don't need 3mm Head Phone jack, The Mini Cable wires and the cable wires came with the unit when purchased didn't even plug into the port, which I had to purchased on Amazon. But at the end, I didn't needed the cable or anything. So I just upgraded my 2012 E350 W212 Sedan 4Matic to a 12.3" which I purchased from Aliexpress and arrived amazingly quick and the cost was only $500 free shipping. So to have sound without going through headache trying to figured why after installing there's no sound! When you unplug the original harness plug for your (Command Head Unit) which will be the only thing you will be unplugging form the unit. remove the AUX Wire from the Harness Plug, Which is basically a plug with two wires together. Using a small flat head screw driver or a plastic pry, lift the clip holding and the plug should slide out easily. the plug should be corner on the harness which has a special protection around the wires. Once removed just switch to the harness that came with the Android Head Unit making sure going into the same position as you removed from original. Now just plug all your connection and before sliding the Command Head Unit Back test your sound and you should be good to go! After almost two weeks installed my unit didn't have sound I was frustrated, bought all type cable thinking there was an issue. But it was something simple! Well I hope this helps out someone, thinking or trying to installed a 12.3" Android Head Unit and having no sounds. Thanks.

I do needed help if anyone knows how to get Sirus Radio Back! I deleted by mistake when I went into (Engineer Mode) Flowing someone procedure trying to ensure my AUX PORT was activated. But ended deleted the Sirus Radio. As I indicated I tried everything trying to have sound, when it was something simple. But if anyone out there knows how to go back into Engineer Mode and know the steps to activate it back, would truly appreciate it. Thanks
The following 3 users liked this post by Tamseng6864:
Aussie_E350_Wag (07-30-2022), S-Vibes (11-22-2023), squantum1 (09-23-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e320 CDI
Wondering if this is my issue with the 10.5 model will have to check it I moved that cable.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:19 AM

2006 e320 CDI
Wondering if this is my issue with the 10.5 model will have to check it I moved that cable.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:08 PM

W207 E350 CDI
I’ve got the 12.3 inch model too but don’t have audio. Are there additional settings I need to configure in the screen’s factory settings?
Old 09-23-2021, 09:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
100% dead on! Thanks so much Tamseng6864. I was about to pull my hair out with this issue until I came across your thread. Awesome!
Old 09-30-2021, 08:16 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 W212
To get Sirius, the setting is in the 7.5 TGW Parameter SDARS. Set it to INSTALLED, then reboot. It gets disabled when you turn off MOST (which allows you to enable the AUX setting). When MOST is turned back on, it doesn't add back the installed devices by default.

Also, for those who come here in 3 years looking to solve an audio problem, a problem I had was no audio from leaving the MMI cable plugged in. Even though I didn't have my iPod plugged it, simply having my MMI cable left in the socket killed the android AUX audio.

I had a 10" and the 12.3" but was frustrated with the problems. 4G would constantly get dropped and I would also lose wireless carplay frequently. Finally gave up and went back to the OEM screen with an iSMART box and like it much better.

Last edited by Skeechan; 09-30-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes E350 4Matic
Currently dealing with this - do you have pictures at all of how the set up looks when changing out that AUX cable, I’m not tech savvy and I don’t wanna break anything.

my original Bluetooth sound works, however when switching to the CarPlay app, it just turns off and I get no sound. I switch back and I get sound on. My Bluetooth, and sat radio and everything. Just no sound when I play any application on the android 10in radio.

issues: no sound from android programs
Yes sound from OEM unit when switching back on the android screen.

does not even let me connect to the Bluetooth in the android app selection which I find odd.

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2022, 02:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500 4Matic w211
Aftermarket Android

Originally Posted by NaughtyPanda
Currently dealing with this - do you have pictures at all of how the set up looks when changing out that AUX cable, I’m not tech savvy and I don’t wanna break anything.

my original Bluetooth sound works, however when switching to the CarPlay app, it just turns off and I get no sound. I switch back and I get sound on. My Bluetooth, and sat radio and everything. Just no sound when I play any application on the android 10in radio.

issues: no sound from android programs
Yes sound from OEM unit when switching back on the android screen.

does not even let me connect to the Bluetooth in the android app selection which I find odd.
If you have Messenger i can walk you through...its absolutely pretty simple...basically change the adapter from the original harness plug..lete know.. thanks. 802 829 9225 if you want to contact me..
Old 07-30-2022, 11:33 PM

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts
2013 E350 Facelift (Japan Import) 2007 E350 Elegance Wagon, 2014 E350 Wagon facelift model Jap Model
Just a FYI those 2 'cables' are the fibre optic audio leads, and YES!!!!! I now too have sound!!

Thanks a MILLION man!!!

My biggest issue is the stupid NTG 4.5 keeps switching off the Aux setting in the Audio menu, by the time I get the old screen unplugged and the new 12" connected the ******* has switched Aux audio off again!!! GRRRRRR!!!!!

I've seen a video a yank made that showed that inside the Android unit under Factory there is a setting that disables the Auto switching of the Aux and makes it manual so it will stay on....now I cannot find the password PIN for the unit so i can access the Factory menu to change this setting!!!!

I have tried about 50 different PINs others have posted all over the place!
Old 08-22-2022, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 e350 W212
Just installed a 12.3 screen in my 2016 E350 with NTG 5. I purchased it through 4X4 shop which I can say has outstanding support. Had no issue with my install but I ran into an issue with the AUX converted box that plugs into the USB port in the center storage compartment. I emailed them with my issue and they provided me with simple instructions to connect the AUX box to my PC and provided me a bin file to add to the box. It's been a week now and have had no connectivity or sound issues. Very happy with my upgrade!
Old 08-09-2023, 04:43 PM

Mercedes glk 220 cdi 2014
No sound issue

Originally Posted by Tamseng6864
I just wanted to post and hopefully will help out someone out there thinking about upgrading to a 12.3" Android Head Unit, having issues with NO sounds. There are a few videos on Youtube installing which does help out removal of panels and all the Torque Bits Screw needed to be remove. But unfortunately, of all video's out there all only has the 10" Android, which has different settings and features. To make things less complicated, its actually pretty simple to do without any wires needed to plug into the AUX Port, to have sounds as indicated. You don't need 3mm Head Phone jack, The Mini Cable wires and the cable wires came with the unit when purchased didn't even plug into the port, which I had to purchased on Amazon. But at the end, I didn't needed the cable or anything. So I just upgraded my 2012 E350 W212 Sedan 4Matic to a 12.3" which I purchased from Aliexpress and arrived amazingly quick and the cost was only $500 free shipping. So to have sound without going through headache trying to figured why after installing there's no sound! When you unplug the original harness plug for your (Command Head Unit) which will be the only thing you will be unplugging form the unit. remove the AUX Wire from the Harness Plug, Which is basically a plug with two wires together. Using a small flat head screw driver or a plastic pry, lift the clip holding and the plug should slide out easily. the plug should be corner on the harness which has a special protection around the wires. Once removed just switch to the harness that came with the Android Head Unit making sure going into the same position as you removed from original. Now just plug all your connection and before sliding the Command Head Unit Back test your sound and you should be good to go! After almost two weeks installed my unit didn't have sound I was frustrated, bought all type cable thinking there was an issue. But it was something simple! Well I hope this helps out someone, thinking or trying to installed a 12.3" Android Head Unit and having no sounds. Thanks.

I do needed help if anyone knows how to get Sirus Radio Back! I deleted by mistake when I went into (Engineer Mode) Flowing someone procedure trying to ensure my AUX PORT was activated. But ended deleted the Sirus Radio. As I indicated I tried everything trying to have sound, when it was something simple. But if anyone out there knows how to go back into Engineer Mode and know the steps to activate it back, would truly appreciate it. Thanks
Hello sir , i have the same problems after upgrading my ntg 4.5 system to 10.25 headunit , no sound come from the unit , only Bluetooth and radio sound come out , but from the headunit or YouTube i have no sound, in my x204 2014 i didn't have aux port , only usb in the storage console, there's a little cable adapter came whith the headunit kit , one side looks like female headphones and the other side looks like port /slot didn't know what is it , i didn't found where to connect it 😔 attached picture for the adapter, i well be happy if u can help whith this

Old 11-10-2023, 03:51 AM

c204
Originally Posted by Tamseng6864

is there anyway you could show me a picture of what is done here I think I’m having the same issue please
Old 11-10-2023, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by caymanjey
is there anyway you could show me a picture of what is done here I think I’m having the same issue please
Hello
I slove the issue whith no need to connect nothing, just was need to add aux input option from the screen (from settings) and then chose the aux input from the ntg screen and then you can play YouTube or music from the android screen .
What is your problem? Maybe i can help
Old 11-11-2023, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GL 550 + 2010 GLK 350
Exact same issue here, please please please someone help.
I did transfer the two wires (fiber optic leads) to the new harness. So I have sound from the original head unit (radio, sirius etc. working fine, as usual).
I do have AMI and USB sockets in the armrest and I do have not one but two AMI to 3.5mm aux input adapters. Didn't work when I plugged the 3.5mm audio output cable to these.

I did get a speaker with a 3.5mm input, connected it to the android head unit, sound was coming fine so I don't think the issue is with the 3.5mm output.

Either my android unit is not outputting sound through the other channels whatever they are OR if the only way to send sound signals is via 3.5mm audio output, then my 3.5mm aux input (through AMI port with help of adapters) is not working.
I still couldn't get a device to check if my port is not working but I'm fairly certain that it will be the case.

is there no way to connect to the head unit without that AMI port? (I obviously don't want FM transmitter or bluetooth)

This is the unit I got:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...76ea1802qvOcqj
I got the 12 inch version with the most bells and whistles. It basically has one main cable that you connect to the head unit (transferring the fiber optical cables of course), two usb inputs, one mic input and one audio output. The rest are optional things like gsm antenna, gps, external mic etc.
​​​​​​
Old 11-11-2023, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Samsea
Hello
I slove the issue whith no need to connect nothing, just was need to add aux input option from the screen (from settings) and then chose the aux input from the ntg screen and then you can play YouTube or music from the android screen .
What is your problem? Maybe i can help
My aux was enabled by default. I do select it. I did check the engineering menu as well but no sound from my aux port.
I will try with a different device like an mp3 player and see if aux is working that way and will report back asap.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:47 PM

As suspected, the problem is my AMI and the aux input through AMI.
I did try two different AMI to 3.5mm adapters with different devices that I'm sure that output correctly.
I did connect an external speaker to the audio out cable of the android unit - working fine
I did connect multiple devices to AMI input, none worked (even though the devices are known to be working fine)
My head unit still works just fine, radio bluetooth audio all good.

Any suggestions, I'm about to burn the car
Old 11-11-2023, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ignorant
As suspected, the problem is my AMI and the aux input through AMI.
I did try two different AMI to 3.5mm adapters with different devices that I'm sure that output correctly.
I did connect an external speaker to the audio out cable of the android unit - working fine
I did connect multiple devices to AMI input, none worked (even though the devices are known to be working fine)
My head unit still works just fine, radio bluetooth audio all good.

Any suggestions, I'm about to burn the car
IN my case , i replace the screen to 10.25" android screen from AliExpress, received the ami/aux adapter on the kit but don't found where to connect in the car , i haven't ami or aux input in my Mercedes, only usb on the center console, after many searches on the web/YouTube , nothing help , connect the seller and the engeniring and they say that no need to connect the aux output to the car , just need to add the aux option on the ntg screen, set it in auto from the settings and then everything work , its look like the sound output connected as a default to the main harness as a bypass, try to disconnect the aux cable and try to play music or YouTube after choosing aux option maybe it's work for you .
I hope its can help , and try to connect the seller they really can help .
good luck , and don't givup , its worth it , im very happy with the system
​​​​​
Old 11-11-2023, 02:50 PM

IN my case , i replace the screen to 10.25" android screen from AliExpress, received the ami/aux adapter on the kit but don't found where to connect in the car , i haven't ami or aux input in my Mercedes, only usb on the center console, after many searches on the web/YouTube , nothing help , connect the seller and the engeniring and they say that no need to connect the aux output to the car , just need to add the aux option on the ntg screen, set it in auto from the settings and then everything work , its look like the sound output connected as a default to the main harness as a bypass, try to disconnect the aux cable and try to play music or YouTube after choosing aux option maybe it's work for you .
I hope its can help , and try to connect the seller they really can help .
good luck , and don't givup , its worth it , im very happy with the system
​​​​​
Thank you, completely understand what you are saying but unfortunately that seems to not work in my case.
Weird things is my car's aux input is not working independently from the android unit.
Old 11-11-2023, 02:53 PM

Thank you, completely understand what you are saying but unfortunately that seems to not work in my case.
Weird things is my car's aux input is not working independently from the android unit.
Did you try to connect mp3 to your car AMI and see if the sound coming out?
Old 11-11-2023, 03:03 PM

Did you try to connect mp3 to your car AMI and see if the sound coming out?
I did try and no sound unfortunately. That is the weird part. The usb port seems to power my phone but the AMI interface is not working for some reason.
Old 11-11-2023, 03:16 PM

I did try and no sound unfortunately. That is the weird part. The usb port seems to power my phone but the AMI interface is not working for some reason.
Go through this thread, it seems that this is the situation you describe, he uploaded an explanatory video for the solution as well
Attached link
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...-no-sound.html
Old 11-11-2023, 03:22 PM

Go through this thread, it seems that this is the situation you describe, he uploaded an explanatory video for the solution as well
Attached link
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...-no-sound.html
I did. That's how I found out about the fiber optical cable transfer to the new harness.
I think if I hadn't done that, I'd hear no sound from the speakers in the first place. I did that step and I am able to get sound from the original head unit's radio.
Old 11-11-2023, 03:27 PM

I did. That's how I found out about the fiber optical cable transfer to the new harness.
I think if I hadn't done that, I'd hear no sound from the speakers in the first place. I did that step and I am able to get sound from the original head unit's radio.
I think that also , but they say that cd / radio / Bluetooth work fine before swiping the fiber optic cable , very weird , did you use the AMI port before? Did they work before installing the new unit ?
Old 11-11-2023, 03:28 PM

I think that also , but they say that cd / radio / Bluetooth work fine before swiping the fiber optic cable , very weird , did you use the AMI port before? Did they work before installing the new unit ?
I did not. Just got the car used and I was doing an overall update, replacing some of the old stuff and wanted to have a modern display with carplay.
Old 11-11-2023, 03:34 PM

I did not. Just got the car used and I was doing an overall update, replacing some of the old stuff and wanted to have a modern display with carplay.
I would recommend you to return the original screen, and try to connect something to the AMI port and see if it responds at all, in order to leave a starting point. True, it's annoying but you have to isolate the problem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 12.3" Android Head Unit Upgrade (NO SOUND SOLVED)