E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Local mechanic says it’s impossible to open a stuck hood without taking it to dealer.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
I just took a quick look at my hood LOCKING ASSYand the pull cable system.
It is different to Arrie's photo or the video posted by J40.
Mine is sort of tamper-proof. The lever, which the pull cable pull upon..... is hidden inside the LOCK ASSY and it has a steel plate covering any means to use a screwdriver to "pull" that lever.

Using a mirror. Right side LOCK ASSY

Wide angle view

The Y joint will probably will be the weak link in the long run, as the single cable plastic stopper mechanism two protruding DOTs may break. It serves double load, 2 of LOCK ASSY.

If not the double DOTs will break, it may be the long rectangular plastic casing "ears" holding the 2 DOTs.

Tomorrow I will undo the hood LOCK ASSY and see if I can use the string as back-up...somehow
Strange difference as in my car the hood lock sensor is in driver side only and that is where the hood lock is exactly like yours. The lock is tamper proof with that plastic cover that houses the lock sensor like in your lock and also provides means for the cable not to be able to fall down. On the passenger side my lock is open from the other side as the cover is not needed due to no lock sensor. It would be nice to have that cover just to keep cable from falling.

Your car may have the lock sensor on both sides?
Old 09-21-2021, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,296 Likes on 886 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
2014 is the first year facelifted 212, while 2013 or 2011 is the original. they made a LOT of changes with that facelift, it probably should be called a 212.5 or something. 212A ?
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (07-30-2022)
Old 09-21-2021, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Same version for mine, for LEFT hood lock assy.

CaliBenzDriver (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,297 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Nice 👏

I just took a quick look at my hood LOCKING ASSYand the pull cable system.
It is different to Arrie's photo or the video posted by J40.
Mine is sort of tamper-proof. The lever, which the pull cable pull upon..... is hidden inside the LOCK ASSY and it has a steel plate covering any means to use a screwdriver to "pull" that lever.

Using a mirror. Right side LOCK ASSY

Wide angle view

The Y joint will probably will be the weak link in the long run, as the single cable plastic stopper mechanism two protruding DOTs may break. It serves double load, 2 of LOCK ASSY.

If not the double DOTs will break, it may be the long rectangular plastic casing "ears" holding the 2 DOTs.

Tomorrow I will undo the hood LOCK ASSY and see if I can use the string as back-up...somehow
Thank you Surya for putting on your thinking cap over these engineered... locks.

Every Benz mechanism I have seen had a built-in weakness to rope in troubles as soon as the amazin' grease formula gets evaporated.

Starting with my dry front caliper slides at 10kMi... dealer kept on expecting my complete my brake job that never came.

Knowing this... if you provide proper lubrication to the locks friction surfaces, the efforts exerted on the underdized plastics ears are kept in check.

These hood latches exemplify what engineered for high maintenance means. Every system lubricated ​​​​​with grease in this car is subject to this milking game:
  1. doors hinges,
  2. jamed rollup blinds,
  3. brakes caliper sliders,
  4. trunk/door/hood latches,
  5. sunroof track/motor,
  6. WIPERS gearbox,
  7. trunk lid puller,
  8. Pkg brakes pedal... LoL!
  9. electric steering rack,
  10. seats motorized screw tracks...
  11. clunky reverse mirror...
  12. windows track pivots
  13. famous cup-holder sliding cover
  14. dry swaybar bushings
  15. "Could not reproduce"... really??

I am reviewing all electronic modules, perhaps ALL THESE LUBRICATED SYSTEMS SHOULD BE REVIEWED as well in a thread.... that would be a positive step for "the best or nothing" -

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 09-21-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

there's this synthetic grease they have at the dealers called something like Gleitzpaste (I know thats wrong, but its something like that), which works really well on things like sunroof sliders, various plastic sliding parts, convertible top latches and hinges. its almost unobtanium commercially except in a ridiculously large tub that costs a fortune and would last a amateur 5 lifetimes. its a very clean grease, that goes on thin, and doesn't attract dirt, most applications you use just the tiniest dab and rub it in until its almost all gone.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do lubricate these hood lock and door hinges with CRC dry type silicone spray grease. Rubber/plastic Safe.
I like it, as it does not attract dust/dirt like those wet kind of lubricant, say a WD-40.

Surely this hood lock assy will work better and it is good NOT to apply extra resistance to pull cable if all sliding/friction parts is nice and slippery...including inside the push-pull cable to its jacket.
If you take a notice on the LEFT hood Lock Assy, MB placed a plastic guide, that bend L shape plastic... that is important and I am glad they thought of it.
The L shaped plastic guide will make pull steel cable to cable's internal plastic jacket less prone to collapse and smoother pull too.

What I worry is the quality of the plastic used.
I have damaged 4 plastic components on my car.
1st is the U shaped clip, which is part of the radiator plastic top cover towards bumper assy, 2 clips holding that hood pull cable, I broke it. Its too weak.

2nd is the hood "spring assy" of the hood. I forgot which side. It broke during cleaning ....LOL. Inside it there is a few "claws".
One or 2 claws cracked and broke. Probably heat damaged.

The trunk plastic liner. This is a PULL and PUSH to install/remove. One of the holding hole for the plastic clip somehow broke its 4 baby claws ..... on 1st time removal.
The plastic material is so bad here, perhaps this is recyced plastic. MB has to abide certain EU rules where recycled plastic must be used to certain % level in the car production. I read it somewhere.

Last one, this is my fault. I tightened the spare wheel plastic hub so much, hoping to reduce rattling sound...if any... I did not realized I cracked the base which holds the plastic male screw thread.
However, I seen this kind of engineering plastic used on my diving hardcase and they wont break that easy like in the car. If you buy PELICAN brand hardcase, my late 80s version is so awesome to today.
I usually stand on my Pelican hardcase or diving tank fell on it and I abuse it so badly for 30 years..... it never failed me...never.

The same worry I have for plastic parts : It is the engine to HVAC heater core.. coolant PLASTIC pipe.
I really really really fear this plastic pipe will break a big opening and not micro cracks where coolant level sensor can do early detect.
This plastic pipe cost is cheap, but the labor to replace it is going to a nightmare for my W212 with M276 3.0 TT. There is no space for hands to access the plastic pipe, the aluminum heat shield/firewall is there.
Worst of all, lousy work angle or working space, usually produce BAD job/result.

CaliBenzDriver (07-29-2022)
Old 09-21-2021, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
there's this synthetic grease they have at the dealers called something like Gleitzpaste (I know thats wrong, but its something like that), which works really well on things like sunroof sliders, various plastic sliding parts, convertible top latches and hinges. its almost unobtanium commercially except in a ridiculously large tub that costs a fortune and would last a amateur 5 lifetimes. its a very clean grease, that goes on thin, and doesn't attract dirt, most applications you use just the tiniest dab and rub it in until its almost all gone.
Got these 2 combo from USA 2 years ago, before Covid.
I use it for my Pano Roof.
MB Indonesia does not even stock these

Old 09-21-2021, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do lubricate these hood lock and door hinges with CRC dry type silicone spray grease. Rubber/plastic Safe.
I like it, as it does not attract dust/dirt like those wet kind of lubricant, say a WD-40....
WD40 really isn't a lube. its great for cleaning stuff (its mostly kerosene), and a spray of it will keep moisture at bay for a little while.

you have to be careful with silicone to never get it on a painted surface as its really really hard to clean off so you can properly wax or polymer seal, or so you can repaint. white lithium grease applied just where it needs to be (and wipe off any excess immediiately when spraying) is pretty good about not attracting too much dirt, and does a great job of lubricating hinges, latches, that sort of thing for a long time. if it does get dirty, it will be very obvious since the clean grease is white.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Benz amazin' plastics

I like it, as it does not attract dust/dirt like those wet kind of lubricant, say a WD-40.

Surely this hood lock assy will work better and it is good NOT to apply extra resistance to pull cable if all sliding/friction parts is nice and slippery...including inside the push-pull cable to its jacket.
If you take a notice on the LEFT hood Lock Assy, MB placed a plastic guide, that bend L shape plastic... that is important and I am glad they thought of it.
The L shaped plastic guide will make pull steel cable to cable's internal plastic jacket less prone to collapse and smoother pull too.

What I worry is the quality of the plastic used.
I have damaged 4 plastic components on my car.
1st is the U shaped clip, which is part of the radiator plastic top cover towards bumper assy, 2 clips holding that hood pull cable, I broke it. Its too weak.

2nd is the hood "spring assy" of the hood. I forgot which side. It broke during cleaning ....LOL. Inside it there is a few "claws".
One or 2 claws cracked and broke. Probably heat damaged.

The trunk plastic liner. This is a PULL and PUSH to install/remove. One of the holding hole for the plastic clip somehow broke its 4 baby claws ..... on 1st time removal.
The plastic material is so bad here, perhaps this is recyced plastic. MB has to abide certain EU rules where recycled plastic must be used to certain % level in the car production. I read it somewhere.

Last one, this is my fault. I tightened the spare wheel plastic hub so much, hoping to reduce rattling sound...if any... I did not realized I cracked the base which holds the plastic male screw thread.
However, I seen this kind of engineering plastic used on my diving hardcase and they wont break that easy like in the car. If you buy PELICAN brand hardcase, my late 80s version is so awesome to today.
I usually stand on my Pelican hardcase or diving tank fell on it and I abuse it so badly for 30 years..... it never failed me...never.

The same worry I have for plastic parts : It is the engine to HVAC heater core.. coolant PLASTIC pipe.
I really really really fear this plastic pipe will break a big opening and not micro cracks where coolant level sensor can do early detect.
This plastic pipe cost is cheap, but the labor to replace it is going to a nightmare for my W212 with M276 3.0 TT. There is no space for hands to access the plastic pipe, the aluminum heat shield/firewall is there.
Worst of all, lousy work angle or working space, usually produce BAD job/result.
yep very clear voyant with these platics heater pipes. I guess they get brittle and the first time you deal with them is when you'll need an OEM part replacement - When the engine starts rocking on failed rubbee mounts, coolant plastics lines get torqued repeatedly...

Like the PCV plastic vent pipes they use to feed quarts of engine oil back in the intake, perfectly brittle. FCP has kits to refresh the whole system.

Brake flex lines (4pcs)... good for how long before the swelling begins ? 😂

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 09-21-2021 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ugh, the air plumbing plastics and stuff on our 250000+ mile 1993 and 94 Mercedes' were still 100% when we parked them. the dark car's clearcoat had failed, the seat springs were getting tired, but the cars still drove just fine, except mine was due for brakes and tires when it was parked. the 94 wagon was still her daily driver, but has been sitting on under a tree since Christmas and now we can't even find the key, hah hah.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got these 2 combo from USA 2 years ago, before Covid.
I use it for my Pano Roof.
MB Indonesia does not even stock these...
yes, that stuff! those are like 500ml cans, right? those cans are $94 in the US.

hah, ok, there's guys on fleabay selling half ounce (14g) little plastic jars of it for $12.

not sure I've seen that little oil bottle before. (googles), k, thats repackaged Krytox GPL 105 perflourinated oil. its for rubber seals, like door seals, window, sunroof seals (not sliders). wipe onto the rubber very sparingly, don't get it anywhere else.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the older MB uses virgin engineering plastic source. So hold up better.

My Ford Fiesta coolant bottle small venting plastic hose simply snap with ease by 9 years old. The rubber hose engine to HVAC heater core, torn like 4cm wide, by 9 years old. 27,000KM only...Yep, garbage.

Perhaps those with hot coolant and its related pressure will live a shorter life compared to air/vaccum lines.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, that stuff! those are like 500ml cans, right? those cans are $94 in the US.

hah, ok, there's guys on fleabay selling half ounce (14g) little plastic jars of it for $12.

not sure I've seen that little oil bottle before. (googles), k, thats repackaged Krytox GPL 105 perflourinated oil. its for rubber seals, like door seals, window, sunroof seals (not sliders). wipe onto the rubber very sparingly, don't get it anywhere else.
Yes, 500cc/ml size for the steel can grease.
That small baby bottle lube is what MB reccomend for the "hairy" slider area. See arrow :

Old 09-21-2021, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 994 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 Sport (W212 @96K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @92K)

Just in case, the paste is "on sale"

https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...ste-0019894651

not sure I've seen that little oil bottle before. (googles), k, thats repackaged Krytox GPL 105 perflourinated oil. its for rubber seals, like door seals, window, sunroof seals (not sliders). wipe onto the rubber very sparingly, don't get it anywhere else
Wow. I had never read about the Krytox line of lubricants. Those are on the upper end of technology and price

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=Krytox&sort=price_high

For a glimpse of the applications.
https://miller-stephenson.com/chemic...ox-283-series/

Last edited by juanmor40; 09-21-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Same version for mine, for LEFT hood lock assy.

So you have the hood lock sensor on both sides.

I would not be surprised if you had the brake wear sensors in both sides too. Both my E550 and S550 have these both items on one side only. Not really that big of a deal but it shows how MB has stripped some items for the U.S. marked cars. One big one that I don't like at all is the noise isolation. My S550 especially shows this as I know how quiet S-Class is in Europe and I'm seriously thinking of installing lots of material in the car for this.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NO...my car only has 1 sided brake wear sensors.
Usually Indonesian version they cut here n there...aka El-Cheapo.
I think US version would be one of the best if not the best ...based on what they sell as base model before options.
I got no GPS MAP. No rear reverse camera.
Surely heaters I do not need. ... I am sure US version is loaded with heaters, a MUST
Old 09-21-2021, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic

You can also get it from ECSTuning for $10, but free shipping kicks in when it's over $49. I got some years ago and still have plenty left. I'm just surprised no one has jumped in to part it out, has about 35 1/2 ounce servings in a tub.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-.../0019894651~a/

https://www.mercedespartscenter.com/...ste-0019894651

Old 09-21-2021, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 994 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 Sport (W212 @96K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @92K)
Originally Posted by Arrie
Strange difference as in my car the hood lock sensor is in driver side only and that is where the hood lock is exactly like yours. The lock is tamper proof with that plastic cover that houses the lock sensor like in your lock and also provides means for the cable not to be able to fall down. On the passenger side my lock is open from the other side as the cover is not needed due to no lock sensor. It would be nice to have that cover just to keep cable from falling.

Your car may have the lock sensor on both sides?
Arrie, I just looked at my 2014 E350, and it has the same arrangement as Surya's, i.e. both locks are encased and both locks seem to have sensors (both have an electrical connection). Even the color differences, the right side lock case is gray, and the left side is black. Surya's has the splitter on the right side (his driver's side) while NA cars have it on the left side (our driver's side)

I would check for the brake sensors at a different time. Never changed brakes on this vehicle, i.e. 75K and still original pads.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by juanmor40
Arrie, I just looked at my 2014 E350, and it has the same arrangement as Surya's, i.e. both locks are encased and both locks seem to have sensors (both have an electrical connection). Even the color differences, the right side lock case is gray, and the left side is black. Surya's has the splitter on the right side (his driver's side) while NA cars have it on the left side (our driver's side)

I would check for the brake sensors at a different time. Never changed brakes on this vehicle, i.e. 75K and still original pads.
So MB added the locks to be on both sides since my 2010 model. Well, I have had the passenger side lock open once after service at the dealer. It is not very obvious unless you really look at it. The hood stayed closed at 75 MPH speed, no problem and it has that "wind hook" as a back-up anyway.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 513 Likes on 346 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
Ya'll know you can delete the pics in a quote response, right?

Just a PSA.

Last edited by Senecat; 09-25-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bumping up/ refreshing old fav...

44 posts... great body of knowledge stabing this problem back and forth - Thanks @juanmor40 for fishing this

Have we learned anything new since then ??
I fixed that 6Mo ago and weatherized the sensors wiring while I was there.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-29-2022 at 03:53 PM.