Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,622 Likes on 2,715 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Heat protection

Gang,

Its been a year since I experimented with DIY heat shielding on the turbo coolant pipe/hose and 1/2 year for the transmission computer cable assy. So far so good. So I want to share .

My engine has turbos, so that is one bad heat generator.
Turbo has heat shield, the metal one, but it is not the greatest.
Above the turbine/hot side heatshield, my turbo coolant line runs there and for certain bends, MB uses EPDM ( 150C max if special blend ) rubber hose and not all are alunimum tubes. Perhaps also for vibration control.

My coolant pipe/hose bend is different from above photo, but above is a good visual tool.

It is very hot that location. This is engine cooling down photo of after about 3 minutes after a fun drive at a 2.8KM ish circuit. When running hard it is a typical 900C exhaust temperature, according to OBD2 calculated Lambda sensor reading.
Below unit is Celsius.

So I bought a heat shield fiberglass cloth based and protect those hoses. Below is Bank 2 ( left side ).

Below is Bank 1 ( right side )

MB HEAT SHIELDING
This is how MB applies a thin round alu heat shield for steering shaft into the rack (A).
That grey cup (B) rubber like boot with yellowish heat trace, I inspected that yellowish heat trace and it is like some sort of lube/grease. I think that is protection heat grease... sort of.

I am still not successful in doing a DIY heat shielding here, coz the steering shaft is a spinning mechanism.

MB heatshielding for engine mounts

Right side, Bank 1. RHD car. Left side has the same heat shield too

TRANSMISSION CABLE ASSY. Right side of transmission.

2 fingers distance, is too close for my liking.

DIY heat shield is a few layers of woven roving fiberglass, I believed a 800 grams density. The alu foil is 3M one with its own adhesive. Few layers of alu foil too, so that it can be stiff and maintain while following contours.

MB own cable shielding, the left side and rubber like, that is a high temp shield.

I also wanted to protect the Start Stop auxillary trans oil pump ( electric type) and its oil cooler pipe from heat.

Left side of transmission is not bad. So no need heat shield here.

Hope this info comes handy for those who wants to heat protect some components on their cars.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Nice wok

Thanks for documenting this.

I guess it's something I should look into ...