E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Front driveshaft issue….again.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 07:35 AM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
12' E559
Front driveshaft issue….again.

So my car initially started to make some metal to metal noise tracked it down to the front driveshaft it eventually did snap at the CV joint. Replaced it using a Dorman brand (never again) in dry conditions it seemed fine but about two weeks or so later driving in heavy rain the same vibration could be heard and felt in the cabin.

so I returned it and went with a factory shaft. It’s been in the car for a couple months now driving through all sorts of rainy conditions no problem.

today the first amount of snow same exact fuking thing. Violent vibration can be heard and felt.

just put it on the lift visually everything looks fine using a prybar nothing is giving away. Whether at the CV joint or at the rear at the spline Drive.

so wtf is causing this issue to happen again?

if you’re in the car you can hear it basically at the front of the passenger seat to give you an idea of the general area. During my drive today it seem to come and go if I was driving through a heavy amount of snow it would do that vibration under load. But if I was driving through a clear patch of road it would dissipate.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:38 AM

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
You could ask my mechanic at @ Mercedes of Gainsville. I went in for driver CV boot swap, when an engine mount gave way, and tore it. Came out of the dealership with a vibration that would shake your teeth fillings under acceleration. They swapped the axle at their cost, and it's been alright. How are your engine/trans mounts?
Old 01-07-2022, 11:17 AM

12' E559
will have to check engine mounts. The trans mount is fine. When we took it out to install the front shaft all appeared good.

where was the vibration coming from when driving the car?

mine is literally right above the front shaft so the area in front of the passenger seat right side of the center console.

about to mount my GoPro under the car lol

Originally Posted by S. Madman
You could ask my mechanic at @ Mercedes of Gainsville. I went in for driver CV boot swap, when an engine mount gave way, and tore it. Came out of the dealership with a vibration that would shake your teeth fillings under acceleration. They swapped the axle at their cost, and it's been alright. How are your engine/trans mounts?
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (01-07-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 529 Likes on 354 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
Wet ABS/wheel speed sensor.f
Old 01-08-2022, 08:01 AM

12' E559
what would that do? I’m no mechanic but I cant see that effecting the front shaft. I don’t have any errors in the ABS system.

thebshaft actually made a noise this morning for about 3 seconds then nothing the entire way into work.

it sounds like the spline drive is moving around in the shaft.while that makes no sense that’s what it sounds like.

are there any bearings that sit within the transfer case that could cause the shaft to become loose when it’s wet?

Originally Posted by Senecat
Wet ABS/wheel speed sensor.f
Old 01-08-2022, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 529 Likes on 354 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
Was hoping to provide an easier, more optimistic possible solution. If you're describing trans bearing issues, you have way bigger problems. Tough to tell without looking at the car. Get it up in the air and give it a looksy.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,666 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Any drive shaft, be it short ones like the front axle shaft for front wheel on a 4matic or for rear wheel of a RWD.... or those long ones we call propeller shaft for trans to rear DIFF or trans to front DIFF for a 4 matic....
will only work and last decently long, if they are within "alignment" spec. Those are rotating shafts. No need to discuss lubrication.

Yes, axle or drive shafts are more forgiving towards mis-alignment because of their unique bearing design, but don't take that for granted.

There are causes and there are result/effects.
You keep getting the effects, but have not cure the causes.

The front DIFF position is managed by engine mount and trans mount .
The front wheel assy or knuckle or spindle, whatever it is called : are held in position ( XYZ axis ) by caster arm + camber arm + suspension strut.
Steering link and stabilizer link also assist, but not as the prime XYZ coordinate positioner.

Mercedes is smart, they have inclinometer called Romess ( it is the brand ) which can be used to give early warning related to alignment issue.
Every component in the car, assuming at static position and with known cargo load, has the XYZ cordinate.
Allowable play and angle ( when car moving + loaded ) is designed into it and when all values are good, it will be good.

Also do not forget to check the true straightness of the drive shaft itself too.

Good luck....

The following 3 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
badbenz94 (01-10-2022), CaliBenzDriver (01-09-2022), pierrejoliat (01-09-2022)