E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Distronic plus retrofit w212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 06:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe W207
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Would it be too much to ask if you can share with us more about MB coding/programming for dummies ?
I don't mean the complete 101, but the why and how it effects other modules.
Thanks
Programming on Mercedes is very much like selecting options for apps on an iPhone.

Each ECU in the car, is like an App.
If you go into settings, by connecting through your car's OBD port - you can see the entire list of ECUs (Apps)
You then connect to an ECU (app) and see the different menus and options you have.
Programming is selecting the options for that module.

In OPs post - he purchased a camera for the windshield. If you log into the camera, it has different options for different windshields that help calibrate it. You "code" the option to say what model of windshield you have and this helps the camera, which was made for many cars, now suitable for the car you are installing in.

All the modules talk to each other, the camera tells multiple other computers in the car what it sees. If it sees you are quickly driving towards another vehicle and not stopping, The braking system perhaps can get ready to stop, or the seatbelt can start to hug you tighter in case of an accident. In this way, all the computers are connected and talk to each other.

If you replace the seats on your car, the side airbag is not detected - other modules may or may not be able to function without the data from this airbag. For sure, your instrument cluster would show an error, sensing that the airbag is missing - so you could get it fixed. Perhaps there is an option somewhere in the ABS computer that says "I don't have a side airbag". If this was the case, you could "delete" the warning.

TLDR - coding is more about choosing the way things will talk to each other, more than actually creating brand new things for them to say.
The following 2 users liked this post by o_Rage_o:
biker349 (08-25-2022), S-Prihadi (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,374 Likes on 2,564 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Thank you O,
Old 07-07-2022, 03:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG IWC, 2016 E250
Absolutely stunning what some can achieve on this forum. If only I had the knowledge and tools to do this. I have a 2016 E250 which already has the Distroinic Plus with Steering Assist and lane keep assist. But mine has some issues right now and will not turn on and giving me faults. And I cant figure out what it is so hopefully I can figure out how to troubleshoot it and solve it following some of your steps.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:32 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes 2014 E350 Estate (S212)
Originally Posted by o_Rage_o
OP - This is nothing short of amazing! Thank you so much for your photos - and if you have more, I would love to see them - they are already so very helpful as I mentally plan this retrofit as well.

I'm trying to put together a parts list for 2015 Facelift E400 Coupe (C207/W207) and it looks like the install should be similar to yours.

Goal: Distronic Plus
Stretch Goal: Full Driver Assistance P23 Package

Currently on Car:
- Distronic
- Mono Multifunction Camera
- Parktronic
- 234 Blind Spot Assistant (with B29/4 and B29/5 Intelligent Radar In left and right rear)
- 258 Collision Warning w/Active Brake

Questions:
1) I've updated my shopping list below - do you see anything glaringly missing, or incorrect? would it be ok to send you my VIN?
2) I noticed you said the Stereo Camera is a must for Distronic Plus - is there any way you are aware to do this without a windshield replacement? will it activate partially with Mono Camera?
3) For Steering, I saw the Full Switch set, is it possible to get just the single stalk, or perhaps upgrade the steering wheel to the touch sensitive-distronic controls instead? I have a contact plate that showed up on EPC - thoughts?
4) I saw you changed out the ABS pump - I'm so new, my apologies, is that also known as ESP Premium, or is that another unit altogether?
5) Is the flexray stuff the same as the Chassis Gateway module I am identifying below?

Thank you so very much for any guidance. I hope perhaps I could help you put together a wiki or helpful guide based on your photos and install it for everyone together.

My Shopping list from what I can find in EPC so far:

Shopping list so far
i have the same question (only I have a 2014 with passive collision avoidance - ie it beeps and warns me), wondering if I can do a partial activation for distronic…

also wondering but not to hijack the thread if it’s possible to retrofit code 258 to a 2014.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (08-25-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes Benz ML350
Originally Posted by SUNILP

Distronic long range sensor mounted on bracket.

This was painful. Running wires along factory location In Engine compartment.

On cars with single lens camera, the camera wiring goes to this connector at passenger b pillar. When retrofitting stereo camera, the wiring must me diverted to the flexray gateway. The flexray gateway in turn is wired to this connector.

Another virw
Did you install a used Distronic Sensor? Mine quit working and I purchased a used one (2014ML350 - Part A2129004603). Local shop said it won't work until I have the old VIN removed. Thanks!
biker349 (08-25-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
OP - This is nothing short of amazing! Thank you so much for your photos - and if you have more, I would love to see them - they are already so very helpful as I mentally plan this retrofit as well.

I'm trying to put together a parts list for 2015 Facelift E400 Coupe (C207/W207) and it looks like the install should be similar to yours.

Goal: Distronic Plus
Stretch Goal: Full Driver Assistance P23 Package

Currently on Car:
- Distronic
- Mono Multifunction Camera
- Parktronic
- 234 Blind Spot Assistant (with B29/4 and B29/5 Intelligent Radar In left and right rear)
- 258 Collision Warning w/Active Brake

Questions:
1) I've updated my shopping list below - do you see anything glaringly missing, or incorrect? would it be ok to send you my VIN?
2) I noticed you said the Stereo Camera is a must for Distronic Plus - is there any way you are aware to do this without a windshield replacement? will it activate partially with Mono Camera?
3) For Steering, I saw the Full Switch set, is it possible to get just the single stalk, or perhaps upgrade the steering wheel to the touch sensitive-distronic controls instead? I have a contact plate that showed up on EPC - thoughts?
4) I saw you changed out the ABS pump - I'm so new, my apologies, is that also known as ESP Premium, or is that another unit altogether?
5) Is the flexray stuff the same as the Chassis Gateway module I am identifying below?

Thank you so very much for any guidance. I hope perhaps I could help you put together a wiki or helpful guide based on your photos and install it for everyone together.

My Shopping list from what I can find in EPC so far:

Shopping list so far

Stereo camera is a MUST for distronic plus. Will not work with mono camera even partially. Windshield MUST be replaced. You will not be able to calibrate the camera without proper windshield. Your previous blind spot assist sensors on rear bumper will NOT work. You must replace all radar sensors on vehicle. If you want DTR+Q which includes rear collision assist, then you need a 5th sensor on rear center bumper. Steering single stalk is not available alone. Must purchase entire column. Being a 2015 model, I doubt you will have to replace the ABS pump. Possibly only the ABS control module mounted on pump if you do NOT have Premium ABS
The following 2 users liked this post by SUNILP:
biker349 (08-25-2022), o_Rage_o (08-19-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
All programming for vehicle is now complete with ZERO errors/issues on dash. All functions work as planned.

I now have
ACTIVE LANE ASSIST
DISTRONIC PLUS with REAR Cross Traffic and Steering Assist
ACTIVE BLIND SPOT ASSIST
STEREO CAMERA for Above
Traffic Sign Assistant
ILS Active High Beam Assistant
The following 5 users liked this post by SUNILP:
Aussie_E350_Wag (08-25-2022), biker349 (08-25-2022), o_Rage_o (08-19-2022), Raj1471 (04-03-2023), S-Prihadi (08-14-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 04:21 PM

2015 E400 Coupe W207
FANTASTIC !! Way to go - and thanks for the response, I'm cobbling together my parts slowly after being inspired by your work
Old 08-21-2022, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e220
Hello,
Can you tell me the resistance value expected for the heating element on the windshield?
I purchased the car with an aftermarket windshield and the stereoscopic multifunction camera can not be calibrated due to the error
B23A813 The output for window heating has a malfunction. There is an open circuit

I measured 11.4 Ohms with my multimeter at the solder joints on the windshield
when I command the heating element from the tester, I get 12v at the windshield
Thank you!

biker349 (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
Originally Posted by mdaa2k
Hello,
Can you tell me the resistance value expected for the heating element on the windshield?
I purchased the car with an aftermarket windshield and the stereoscopic multifunction camera can not be calibrated due to the error
B23A813 The output for window heating has a malfunction. There is an open circuit

I measured 11.4 Ohms with my multimeter at the solder joints on the windshield
when I command the heating element from the tester, I get 12v at the windshield
Thank you!
I would make sure the wire is outputting power with actuation using Xentry. IF you replaced a mono-camera with stereo, the wiring is fairly short. Did you pull too hard and possibly damage the wiring?
biker349 (08-25-2022)
Old 04-03-2023, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything
Hi Sir.
I'm retrofiting mercedes w212 distronic + too and don't know which esp module should i replace.
can you help me please...
Thanks a lot
Old 12-13-2023, 09:57 PM

2015 W212 E400
W212 E400 dtr+ esp module

Hello!

I know its a rather old topic but i will give it a try here also...

I am also retrofitting DTR+ to my 2015 facelift E400 w212. Already done the cabling to all the New sensors including the front long range radar and the stereo camera, etc and already coded the 475, tire pressure monitor.

I have most of the parts already that i have found on my EPC.... but there is one part that i can not find on my version of EPC.. the abs pump. I only know that DTR+ requires ESP Premium... i have ESP Plus since i only had the automatic Parking assist.

The ABS/esp pump i have access to buy used around here is A212 430 0407 esp premium...

Does anyone have any version of EPC that can check IF this part accepts DTR+ bas+ and whatever esse for the distronic ? Or, IF anyone has any version of the epc available to download i could check by myself.

Thanks!😬
Old 12-13-2023, 10:47 PM

2015 E400 Coupe W207
Originally Posted by Adwalker
Hello!

I know its a rather old topic but i will give it a try here also...

I am also retrofitting DTR+ to my 2015 facelift E400 w212. Already done the cabling to all the New sensors including the front long range radar and the stereo camera, etc and already coded the 475, tire pressure monitor.

I have most of the parts already that i have found on my EPC.... but there is one part that i can not find on my version of EPC.. the abs pump. I only know that DTR+ requires ESP Premium... i have ESP Plus since i only had the automatic Parking assist.

The ABS/esp pump i have access to buy used around here is A212 430 0407 esp premium...

Does anyone have any version of EPC that can check IF this part accepts DTR+ bas+ and whatever esse for the distronic ? Or, IF anyone has any version of the epc available to download i could check by myself.

Thanks!😬

Hi Adwalker - I'm juuuust about to do my cabling from all items to the SGR and Flexgateway - could you please upload your pictures of the wires you spliced or their physical locations? I'm on an E400 Coupe but wiring is similar-ish and most parts are same. Also what cable / wire did you use? Any links? I'm using the soldersleeves from TE Connectivity (OE Specified and approved)
actually, any and all photos help - just load us up !! If you have any tips on routing or connecting the Distronic Radar to the Front SAM that would be helpful too. I have the wiring diagrams but physical photos are always so helpful of the routing, and then into the SAM.

as far as your ABS unit - I used
A212 901 88 04 ESP Premium
and upgraded from
A212 901 87 04 ESP Plus

The following should be good as well
A212 431 0448-80 - Newest
A212 431 0448 - Original Replaced
A212431 11 48 - Replaced by 04 48

I can check on EPC for you in the next two days.

I was also originally under the impression all ESP Premium would be good enough
Old 12-15-2023, 10:02 AM

2015 W212 E400
Hi Adwalker - I'm juuuust about to do my cabling from all items to the SGR and Flexgateway - could you please upload your pictures of the wires you spliced or their physical locations? I'm on an E400 Coupe but wiring is similar-ish and most parts are same. Also what cable / wire did you use? Any links? I'm using the soldersleeves from TE Connectivity (OE Specified and approved)
actually, any and all photos help - just load us up !! If you have any tips on routing or connecting the Distronic Radar to the Front SAM that would be helpful too. I have the wiring diagrams but physical photos are always so helpful of the routing, and then into the SAM.

and upgraded from
A212 901 87 04 ESP Plus

Thanks for the reply!

Sure, i will try to help IF i can. since the coupe must be the same cabling locations... just wait till the weekend so im going to get some pics .... i have also wrote somewhere the pinouts for all the modules and the sensors.

😬
Old 01-04-2024, 08:28 AM

2015 W212 E400

and upgraded from
A212 901 87 04 ESP Plus

Hello! Sorry for the delay... have been busy these days.
as the control units have their places already defined behind the front passenger footrest, i started cabling by there.

There you can see the location of the control units. The arrow points to a hole that is covered by a rubber thing. I did route the front radar cables through it. You can make a hole on this rubber. It leads to the battery support, just under it, só you have to remove the battery and the battery support tray. From there, follow the Pack of cables that are already going to front Park sensors, just need to replace the connectors. I bought from aliexpress, theyre fairly good quality. The main harness connector https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMcCBCc, the short distance radars connectors https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqUIOGo and the long distance https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOujVP2 .

if you have the single camera you can use the same connector and cables. Just need to reroute the cable that it is going to the CAN E2 (yellow - white) to the RDU control unit, and the RDU will now be connected to CAN E2 (where the single camera was) and to CAN E1 which is located just below the park lever on the driver seat area.
the CAN E2 distributor (x30/26) Is located below the glovebox, have to remove the front passenger seat, it is inside the cable tray. And you have to wire the CAN E2 to the rear bumper for the central radar and also a pair of cables from The RDU to rear short radars. (Ignore that Black module with lots of cables on it, its just a aftermarket dsp)

Hope it helps. If you still have questions just ask me (not about programming, thoug. I am still stuck in the RDU shouting "programming error" at me hahaha)
Old 01-23-2024, 05:31 PM

2015 E400 Coupe W207
This was super helpful thank you!
1) Central Radars: Did you find anywhere nearby to splice and grab the Front and Rear Central Radar pairs, did you go find them at X30/19, or did you just run brand new wire from the rear and front connector?
2) Mono/Stereo Camera: Sounds like you were able to find the camera pair right at E2 - that's quick and easy (I'm hoping the central radars can be like that with my question #1)
3) Physical Connectors and Wiring: Any special hardware or connectors you needed to connect the front DTR into the Front Sam Fuse? or for the Radar and Flex into the Rear Sam?
4) Wiring in General: Any good source for the 24awg twisted, or 22awg power/ground stuff?

Here is a rough and dirty schematic I put together to help myself and anyone else following our thread for W207 W212 Distronic. I tried to place things visually as if you were looking at the car overhead.

Share your coding errors, maybe I could help - I have most ready with the exception of the SGR and the Flex Gateway. I believe I have the Central Gateway (CGW), Rear Sam (SAMR231), Instrument Cluster (IC204) figured out.

-----> I'm attaching a completed RDU212FR (for the Coupe 207) for you if it can help!!! <---------

Wiring Schematic by o_Rage_o for P23 / Distronic Retrofit on C207/W212
Attached Files

Last edited by o_Rage_o; 01-23-2024 at 05:52 PM.