Clunk when braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 12:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e250
Clunk when braking

Hi guys
so i fitted brand new lower front thrust control arms, shock absorbers, drop links, ball Joints and top mounts however when i brake i get like a double clunk when braking after some time. Sometimes it wil be jus ine clunk but often its clunk clunk.It then doesnt happen for a while and then it will happen again after some driving.i can feel something is moving but i have double checked everything but cannot find anything loose. It almost feels like a joint cracking but heavy metal clunck if that makes sense.

I did torque the bolt for the control arm and ball joints correctly and in the correct position with the car at ride height. Anyone else had same issue or fixed it ?
I used meyle hd control arms

Old 06-02-2022, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,666 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
I am sure the photo you attached is before you tightened that NUT for the camber arm ...yes ?

Which arm your meant by : lower front thrust control arms ?

If I were you, easiest inspection is the stabilizer/sway-bar link first.
If your ball joint end is not 12mm OD for its shaft or threaded end and is kinda loose even by 1mm on the holes it attached at MacP strut and the sway bar itself, that can create clunking noise.
Compare it with you original one.There is good friction on the original one entering the holes.
Extreme example below is IF a wrong 10mm OD ball joint shaft/thread on our 12mm hole

I don't know Meyle quality but I avoid now at all cost if possible non genuine components if for :
- Rear damper top mount. I got bitten by Lemforder...crappy shiet product !!!
- Arms front, caster and camber or any rear arms for rear suspension.
- any ball joints

I will go for Bisltein rear and front damper/shock absorbers.
Stabilizer link I don't mind going for SuperPro an Aussie brand.

Assumed you have torqued all correctly, and keep aside the stabilizer link I mentioned :

Next I would inspect and measure the hole shape of the bushing of the Meyle arm vs the original one.

Example, this below is the camber arm bushing hole on mine, we are the same RWD, so we share same components 100%

I doubt Meyle balljoint can be so crappy to create a clunking noise.

Did you loose the rubber pad of the suspension spring ?

Another kinda dumb question, the sping was installed correctly for where the bottom end should be right ? There is a small catch notch.

Btw, what brand of front damper/shock absorber is yours ?

I once replaced all 4 dampers of a 2011 Ford Fiesta with a Kayaba. The front is also a MacP strut like our W212.
Sometime there is a minor noise from the front damper and I know surely it is from the spring. Usually at certain shaped speed bump and never on a wavy road.
Spring spins when compressed, sort of, this is why sometimes due to probably very minute dimensional differences between Kayaba and FordMotorCo components. The spring is still original Ford.
So when the spring is forced to spin from my local IMPOLITE-STUPID-SHAPED speed bump, I get that minor noise, not clunking level though.
This non standard Dolly-Parton speed bump is a lot in small roads in my city

Oky doky, that is all for now. Do come back and let us know yah.

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 06-02-2022 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (06-03-2022)