E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Android Head Unit - Found Android Software User Manuals and Information

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 07:00 PM

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts
2010 Mercedes E350 Base Sedan
Android Head Unit - Found Android Software User Manuals and Information

The Android user interface documentation for the head unit itself is almost nonexistent. Here's what I could dig up. I'm sharing it here because I wish I would have found a post like this when I was looking!

First: Android Intelligent Navigation User Manual - English - Version Android9/10
I installed my Android 11 unit and I found a PDF on it, which is attached to this message. It applies to Android 9 and Android 10. I could not find this PDF anywhere on the net, even using keywords from the document itself. I doubt I could find an updated Android 11 version. This is exclusive content! (but I did not create it)

Second: Various sources - Youtube to the rescue, again.
  • Watchlist for tips and common issues:
  • Change the speedo/tach display between km/h and MPH
  • Boot logo: That car with the bicycle wheels is weird. I found some fool that both paid the vendor for a boot-image-zip updater AND wouldn't share it with people. Android is open source. The video links above include a video showing how to change the boot logo. Import function is included. I think it takes a small bit of work to get it into the right format, assuming the system doesn't automatically do that on import.
  • I didn't have any AUX connection for my NTG4.0. I didn't have any MMI/AMI connection either. The AUX output goes through the back of the NTG4.0 without using any 1/8 stereo jack or MMI connector at all.

The following users liked this post:
Aussie_E350_Wag (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 07:20 AM

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts
2013 E350 Facelift (Japan Import) 2007 E350 Elegance Wagon, 2014 E350 Wagon facelift model Jap Model
I'm about to install an Android 11 12.3" unit in my S212 wagon so this is going to be very handy mate thanks man!!
Old 07-13-2022, 09:48 AM

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts
2010 Mercedes E350 Base Sedan
I want to customize the boot logo. My first thought is to make it a picture of my back seat with something weird sitting in it, with a slim chance that momentarily a front seat passenger will think it is right behind them.

I got my vendor to send me that infamous "my logo.zip" file! I attached it here because there is so little shared on the internet about it. Please ensure that it is safe for your system before trying to use it. Most of the included images are Mercedes logos. I believe that copyright enforcement is making this weird. The thumbnails aren't anything special. A google image search turns them up. The format is important. Including them preinstalled on their Android hardware is probably what is triggering copyright enforcement.

If only Mercedes offered these retrofit units with dealer-supported installation, readily available COMAND coding, and NTG expertise. That makes too much sense and it could negatively affect new car sales.

Danger! - Consider this carefully before trying this file on your system! You can brick things here!
Think "Pac Man Kill Screen" here. Get the wrong bytes or too many bytes and you end up with anything from a scrambled boot logo to a bricked device. Recovering it with ADB or something sounds like a big pain since I don't see any hardware buttons to interrupt the boot loader. They're uncommon devices compared to phones so internet support is weak. I believe that Android boot logos and boot animations vary based on the system processor. Their format and the means to import them vary. They accommodate various screen resolutions. The file I share here is specific to my Snapdragon 66x processor and the screen resolutions offered by this manufacturer. Please ensure that they are compatible with your system before trying them.

my logo.zip contents
  • Four directories - three named after screen resolutions and one named "thumbnails."
  • Each screen resolution directory has the same set of five file names with an 'elf' extension. Each file is 1.9MB. File checksums vary.
  • The "thumbnail" folder contains complementary file names in readable PNG format and varying file sizes.
The ELF files appear to be a fixed-length "raw" image format that is quickly and blindly read by the processor at boot and written to screen memory to be displayed before loading the Android OS. I do not know if the Android OS 'import' function validates the images prior to placing them. These files are highly compressible - The zip archive is <4MB and contains >38MB of content.

The folders:
  • 1024_600
  • 1280_480
  • 1920_720
  • thumbnail
Each numeric folder represents a screen resolution and has these files. Each file is 1.9MB
  • imagefv_002.elf
  • imagefv_003.elf
  • imagefv_004.elf
  • imagefv_005.elf
  • imagefv_006.elf
'thumbnail' folder has these complementary file names. These are standard PNG files of varying sizes.:
  • logo_002.png
  • logo_003.png
  • logo_004.png
  • logo_005.png
  • logo_006.png

Attached Files
File Type: zip
mylogo.zip (3.84 MB, 119 views)
The following users liked this post:
Aussie_E350_Wag (07-14-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maruti Suzuki
Yes, I have tried Carlinkkit. My problem is different. I'm able to connect my android phone with carplay but when I start music play, it hangs after 10-12 minutes. Is there any solution for the same?
Old 12-28-2023, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None
Hi, any chance you can explain how to install the boot logos ?

Also, i saw BMW guys making animated boot logos, did anyone here try to make any for Benz ?

TIA