URGENT, INEXPLICABLE AIR LEAK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2022 | 10:42 AM

E220 CDI
URGENT, INEXPLICABLE AIR LEAK

2012 E220 CDI (W212)
Hi all, hope you're well.

I'm having some car troubles, and both me and my mechanic are stumped atm, so thought I'd see if you guys can help.

So, recently I discovered an odd sound from the left side of the car. Everytime I accelerate, I hear a distinct 'whoosing' sound, very much like an air leak. I also noticed a lack of power, delayed throttle response (it'll accelerate but very hesitantly), and after driving the car for a while, it'll go into limp mode, and won't exceed 3000 revs.

I took it in last week, where the mechanic noticed a blown charger hose to the intercooler. I got this replaced (Mercedes supplied part), and took the car home. After 15 miles, the exact same sound and symptom returned. My mechanic has inspected the intercooler pipes, checked for boost leaks, and he's even smoke tested the pipe systems. Nothing has showed up as an issue. There are fault codes stating an air leak, but it isn't stating where it is occurring.

Has anybody had any experiences with something like this? It's driving me insane at this point, can't wait to upgrade.

UPDATE: Mechanic has said its the flaps on the intake intermittently seizing, and thus an entire replacement of the intake is due.

Last edited by Volibear; 07-19-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2022 | 11:56 AM
Veteran: Navy

2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
May wanna hop over to the diesel section, if Im not mistaken there are bunch of threads covering the intake flap issue. I dont know enough to give any suggestions with MB diesels yet. I do think there is a cleaning process for the intake but not sure of effectiveness.