E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2015 E400 4 matic front transfer case noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400
2015 E400 4 matic front transfer case noise

Hi, while driving at speed around 30-50 miles on the road the rolling noise sounds like tire grinding the road, the all four tire are only 2000 miles on it, so it’s not the tire, what could it be? Great appreciate for your input.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:00 AM

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts
E350 Wagon
Need more info: Do you hear the tires grinding when turning AND straight? Is the sound coming from he back or front tires? Do you have warning lights? How many miles in the car? When was the last time you change the transmission oil? The TC and gearbox are integrated so they share lubricant.

Mercedes transfer cases and transmissions are virtually bullet proof if you maintain them. You may be due for some fresh oil/filter/gasket/bolts.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (08-27-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 09:26 AM

E400
Originally Posted by KlausPA
Need more info: Do you hear the tires grinding when turning AND straight? Is the sound coming from he back or front tires? Do you have warning lights? How many miles in the car? When was the last time you change the transmission oil? The TC and gearbox are integrated so they share lubricant.

Mercedes transfer cases and transmissions are virtually bullet proof if you maintain them. You may be due for some fresh oil/filter/gasket/bolts.
The woooooo noise came from the front when the car move around 30 mph and up straight or turn and no warning lights, can only got 72000 miles and transmission fluid change 3 months ago and front wheel bearings check no play, I am suspect is transfer case output shaft and bearing making that noise. Thank you for reply so fast
Old 08-31-2022, 11:39 AM

E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by lih chiu
The woooooo noise came from the front when the car move around 30 mph and up straight or turn and no warning lights, can only got 72000 miles and transmission fluid change 3 months ago and front wheel bearings check no play, I am suspect is transfer case output shaft and bearing making that noise. Thank you for reply so fast
Did the sound start before or after the fluid change? Also, have you changed the front diff oil? I would do that before throwing a wrench at it.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:45 AM

E400
Did the sound start before or after the fluid change? Also, have you changed the front diff oil? I would do that before throwing a wrench at it.
it started two months after trans oil change, didn’t check the diff oil, book for the replacement transmission with transfer case, from previous tech mb dealer
Old 08-31-2022, 12:08 PM

E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by lih chiu
it started two months after trans oil change, didn’t check the diff oil, book for the replacement transmission with transfer case, from previous tech mb dealer
You could be low on oil.
Old 08-31-2022, 12:22 PM

E400
You could be low on oil.
the tech test drove and insisted the noise is from the transfer case and it’s inside the transmission, it’s going to cost 💲 4000 for the whole job including engine and transmission mount and all the require fluid and labor.

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2022, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
If tech ran Xentry fault tree most likely planet carrier needs replacement, see attached bulletin. If you proceed with MB dealership repair speak with Service Manager for MBUSA goodwill assistance most especially if transmission is within affected range.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI28.00-P-051499_Ver_4.pdf (35.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 08-31-2022, 01:05 PM

E400
Originally Posted by konigstiger
If tech ran Xentry fault tree most likely planet carrier needs replacement, see attached bulletin. If you proceed with MB dealership repair speak with Service Manager for MBUSA goodwill assistance most especially if transmission is within affected range.
thanks for your advice, but it’s not the vibration but wooooo noise sounds like tire noise when the car is moving start from around 30 mph and up
Old 08-31-2022, 01:14 PM

E400
Originally Posted by konigstiger
the transmission shift perfectly without any delay hesitate or vibration at all
Old 08-31-2022, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 648 Likes on 403 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
What kind of wheels do you have? Are you a "Sport" model with the 18" AMG rims? If so, hit any potholes lately? Sounds familiar to my AMG rims that are made of cheese when it comes to potholes. I've had to fix many a bent rim, and I can almost alway tell one is bent by a bit of a whirly/roar noise, sometimes a fast rhythm vibration as well, but some tech's will balance out the vibration with wheel weights, but that doesn't fix the noise. That might be a spot to check that is unfortunately pretty common with those of us with the AMG rims.

My front diff was leaking last year, the seal went bad somehow on the passenger side. My guys pulled the shaft and replaced the seal, and replaced the diff fluid. Also had the front bearings replaced at that time. It definitely helped. We didn't do the shaft bearings though, probably should have, and won't surprise me if I'm back to getting those in the next 20k miles too. I too still have a little bit of noise, doesn't feel fluid-smooth like it should, and I suspect those shaft bearings or the driveshaft itself (center bearing and/or perhaps the flex disc couplings). At 8 years of age, it's more about the age and less about the milage on the rubber pieces. I will say, my front bearings had no play in them either, but they made a noticeable difference when replaced with the overall smoothness. I'm thinking I bought the one Mercedes previously owned by Bo and Luke Duke...
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 05:26 PM

E400
Originally Posted by nc211
What kind of wheels do you have? Are you a "Sport" model with the 18" AMG rims? If so, hit any potholes lately? Sounds familiar to my AMG rims that are made of cheese when it comes to potholes. I've had to fix many a bent rim, and I can almost alway tell one is bent by a bit of a whirly/roar noise, sometimes a fast rhythm vibration as well, but some tech's will balance out the vibration with wheel weights, but that doesn't fix the noise. That might be a spot to check that is unfortunately pretty common with those of us with the AMG rims.

My front diff was leaking last year, the seal went bad somehow on the passenger side. My guys pulled the shaft and replaced the seal, and replaced the diff fluid. Also had the front bearings replaced at that time. It definitely helped. We didn't do the shaft bearings though, probably should have, and won't surprise me if I'm back to getting those in the next 20k miles too. I too still have a little bit of noise, doesn't feel fluid-smooth like it should, and I suspect those shaft bearings or the driveshaft itself (center bearing and/or perhaps the flex disc couplings). At 8 years of age, it's more about the age and less about the milage on the rubber pieces. I will say, my front bearings had no play in them either, but they made a noticeable difference when replaced with the overall smoothness. I'm thinking I bought the one Mercedes previously owned by Bo and Luke Duke...
. Thank you all for the input, I’ll will definitely process and eliminate all the possible issues, will report back the outcome, for now I already ordered the transmission, let’s see how it goes, again thanks everyone for sharing your opinions.