Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,406 Likes on 2,582 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
My azz-vibration meter still works :)

Sharing...........

When I torture tested my engine near 2 weeks ago ( 13th Sept ) while testing the LED BAR too, I felt my tires were not as smooth-vibration-free as it should.
Granted it was on concrete ( harsh ) paid highway and not the ultra smooth black tarmac I used to test on and the concrete itself is not a good test bed. This is a new highway I never tried.

So, I went for wheel alignment and all 4 tires balancing ( off wheel ) on 27th Sept 2022

Well, I was sensing/thinking only 15 grams OFF, but instead on average 20-25 grams. The harsh concrete highway in itself is not a nice road surface.
At least my azz-vibro meter still works. Unlike my fingers which on my right hand is loosing its sensitivity by much.
In my youngers days ( 15 - 17 years old ), I can sense 15 grams OFF balance on a tire, but on black smooth tarmac. Those days concrete highway never existed yet in places I drive.

The LEFT front tire is new and only 500KM old and was ROADFORCE balanced. Conventional balancing machine above, showed 20 grams out of balance on its inner side.
Both are Hunter brand balancing machine. Roadforce Balancer takes into account tire wall hardness differences at certain spot and add extra weight to compensate.

I tested the result of the balancing on the same day, but I was running overall slower speed , but on the same higway. It was a good result, smoother than on 13th Sept for speed to 180 KM per hour.
Best test is to maintain 180-200 KMH at least for like 30 seconds on nice smooth black tarmac... if it is super smooth at these speed, we are gold.

============================

The wheel alignment was to see what extra 9mm tire height at the rear will do to the overall alignment values and also to make sure the BBS CH-R set get alignment verification too.

When I got the new BBS CH-R from Germany ( new tires installed), after Uncle Murphy decided to lighten my wallet for 1 of LEFT FRONT BBS rim, I have not balanced the rest on the 3 tires yet and or does alignment with the new BBS rim.

Below is the difference between OEM wheels where the rear tire height is overall lower by 9mm compared to the set up on my BBS CH-R. I on purpose wants more comfort, hence I use 255 to get extra 9mm taller sidewall.

The trend is my Rear RIGHT side camber arm is aging..... another 6' (minutes) difference between Left and Right camber arm, is all I got time left.
Once the difference hit 30' (minutes), that is it.
or
If the LEFT camber aging too in the future and climbing value, -1* 57' is the max limit on any side.

The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (09-29-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,406 Likes on 2,582 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
For those who wants to know more about alignment and suspension 101, this is the best video I seen so far.
Easy to understand, lots of information and example and is already using the 4 wheel Hunter machine, so we can relate easier.

When looking at aligment values, becareful.
Some machine is set at degree decimals, example the above video. That means 1/100 degree. Say 1.2* degree = 1 degree and 20/100 degree
MB WIS specify alignment value ( except for its Romess inclinometer ) using Decimal Minute. Say 1* 20' degree = 1 degree 20' minutes. Which is 1 degree 33/100 in decimal degrees or 1.33* degrees
Maximum minutes is 60 only. 1 degree = 60 minutes

Enjoy.........

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 09-28-2022 at 04:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
AllPhonesAretap (10-01-2022), pierrejoliat (09-29-2022)