E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Parking sensors sometimes not working.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E250 CDI ( W212 facelift)
Parking sensors sometimes not working.

I've recently bought a used w212 facelift E250 CDI. It's my first car, my first Mercedes , one of my biggest dreams, and the experience has been amazing so far. Loving the car to bits. I've just noticed a few little niggles that i hope i can sort out.

The parking sensors sometimes do not work. The 2 dots in the front and rear sensor indicators don't light up while reversing. Once i turn off the ignition and turn on the car again, they work fine. I don't think its a problem with the sensors, because if it works, the sensors detect all surrounding objects. Could it be an issue with the battery?

On another note, I've also noticed that the ECO mode sometimes doesn't work even though its switched on.

​​​​​After buying the car, i gave it for interior detailing. While they were working on the car all day, all the interior lights were running in the background and the battery drained out. I had to jump start the car. But after that , there weren't any other issues other than these.
​​​
​​​​​​I hope someone can help me out

Thank you 😊
Old 10-16-2022, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
As noted in several threads here, when experiencing problems with the ECO mode it is the main battery going south. This could also be affecting your Parktronic function. Check the SOC of the main battery. You want to see 12.6v or slightly less. If it’s in the low 12v or high 11v it needs replacement. You could try a trickle charger and see if you can condition it back. That doesn’t always work.
A bad sensor will also cause the issue you describe and you will need the proper diagnostic equipment to find it. I would start with the main battery and go from there.
The following 2 users liked this post by KEY08:
drgeorgeroy (10-16-2022), pierrejoliat (10-16-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E250 CDI ( W212 facelift)
Originally Posted by KEY08
. Check the SOC of the main battery. You want to see 12.6v or slightly less. If it’s in the low 12v or high 11v it needs replacement. You could try a trickle charger and see if you can condition it back. That doesn’t always work.
A bad sensor will also cause the issue you describe and you will need the proper diagnostic equipment to find it. I would start with the main battery and go from there.
Thank you so much! I will have a look at the main battery. I think it's still running on the original battery. It might be the battery.
I had the car scanned during the routine service , and there were no fault codes on the sensors or the ECO mode issue.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Swap the battery out as you would on any car. There is no magic to replacing a battery on these cars, other than they are heavy. You may have to do a window reset, which is simply to open and close the window while holding it at the stop for a couple seconds. That’s it.
The following 2 users liked this post by KEY08:
BenzV12 (10-18-2022), pierrejoliat (10-18-2022)