E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Electrical Confusion Please Help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG IWC, 2016 E250
PARKTRONIC and DISTRONIC Troubleshoot

Hi everyone, so I've had my 2016 E250 for a while now. But the Lane Assist, PreSafe Braking, Blind Spot Assist, and Distronic never worked. My car was recently at the dealer, and I asked them to look into the issues. They replaced the Distronic Long Range Radar Bracket as it was broken, and fixed the Parktronic sensors. They told me I was missing the Distronic Radars, the two side ones for the front. And that once I plug those in Everything should work.

I ordered those and they finally came in. I took my bumper and harness off only to find that my harness has 1 6 pin Radar connector missing. So I swapped to my old harness that has all the plugs, but with the old one even the parktronic won't work. Now I'm not sure what the problem is. However when digging into it I noticed the old harness does not plug into the two outer Parktronic Sensors. They have a tooth on a different location not allowing the connector to slide in. I'm not sure why that is. To explain, the New Harness has 4 Sensors with tooth "A", and 2 with tooth "B" for the outer most ones. While my old harness has all 6 connectors with tooth "A". The sensors look the same and the wiring looks the same, so I cut a slit into the old harness connector for the 2 outer connector to make them "A" and "B" compatible. But plugging everything in it still seems to not work. Than after more inspection I noticed on the main Connector that leads to the Computer, it has 20 pins total but it is missing 4 pins on it that the new harness has. So I'm wondering if this will even work at this point. I'm thinking of Unwrapping Both harnesses and checking the wiring, trying to find a diagram. If the old connector does not work I am thinking of Cutting one of the Radar connectors and moving it to the New Harness that's missing one apparently. My Question. Does anyone know if I can do that? I'm not much of an electrical Engineer, if it is transferring voltages to display distance I think I can do it. But if it's a Digital Signal than it might mess things up. Anyone know how I can fix this.

Connector "B" on new harness. 2x on new harness.

Connector "A" on both harnesses. 6x on old harness. 4x on new harness.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by LeonF; 02-11-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:49 PM

Lightbulb

So I figured some things out, the old harness is of a W212 E class from 2015, while the new one is from a W212 E class from 2013. In the 2013 preface lift models the E classes did not have Distronic Plus, so they only had the one plug on the harness for the radar, meanwhile the old one is from a facelifted model like mine that had Distronic Plus hence why it has 2 radar connectors.

I cleaned all connectors with Electrical Cleaner (Sensor Safe) and scraped corrosion, dirt, and gunk buildup. The connectors are like new. I plug them all in and test it, I get 2 red dots on front and back, with a Beep followed up by PARKTRONIC turning off. I switch the sensors to the harness from the preface lift model and it works like new, so the sensors should not be an issue I assume.
However I need them to work on the old harness so i can plug in my Radars.
I noticed that on the new harness from the preface lift the pin layout is different than on the facelift. There are 3 pins (The outside ones are the GROUND and POSITIVE) and the middle one is the one sending a signal.

However on the old harness its different. Also 3 pins with same connector but (The middle and left connectors are the GROUND and POSITIVE) and the right is the one sending the signal.

So I think I have the wrong sensors of a 2013 E class which have a different pin layout.

Problem is they just got painted and I would like to keep them if its possible.

My idea is to cut the wires on the old harness, and switch them around to have the same pinout as the new one, that way the sensors should work in theory.
I already bought the wrong harness and sensors once, do not want to buy another one if I can fix this.
Anyone know if this could work?

Pin layout on OLD harness (YellowBlack & BrownBlue) are power & ground

Pin layout on NEW harness (YellowBlack & BrownBlue) are power & ground

PARKTRONIC wiring schematic from WIS

Old 02-12-2023, 02:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2011 E350 CDI 4Matic, Rover 75, Chevy K2500, 2 motorcycles
Man, that is quite a challenge you have going on. I keep wondering why you are in this situation. I thought you were repairing a problem, but now it looks like maybe you are adding an option your car didn't come with. I wish I could offer help, but I'm afraid not. All I can say is maybe there was a solution in pieces from other markets. For example, my 2011 E350 CDI has both Parktronic and Distronic Plus. Made for the Slovak market, but likely the same for all of Europe. I have seen references that the European, USA and Canadian markets have differences from each other. The Canadian cars aren't just USA cars with KM speedometers. Some things on the Canadian cars are the same as the European market cars, not the USA ones.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (06-10-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 05:45 PM

The car has all the options, MB dealership confirmed it, I just dont have the right Parkingsensors and wiring harness. I have a harness that is supposed to work for this car, my problem is that if i try to use the parkingsensors with it, it fails. From what it looks like MB uses the same harness trhoughout the generations, but they change the layout of the main connector itself. I just need a wiring diagram for that connector, but all i can find is the wiring for the Sensors and Radars. Is there a way to get my hands on the right diagram? I can not find it on WIS.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,220 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
WIS gurus

If I understand correctly, you need a guru with WIS skills to pull diagrams so you use a donor-harness on your W212, right?

The WIS toolkit is even more complicated than MB cars themselves. Getting useful info on tap is a small miracle performed by few .... ​​​​​​
Old 02-13-2023, 04:04 PM

Question

I might be one of the few, I figured out the diagram and found it on WIS. Took some time finding but I got it.

What I ended up doing is taking the SGR Radar wires from the old harness that has 2 of them spliced from factory. And soldered it to the new harness from an older E class. Following the diagram and making sure the pinout is the same.

I now have a homemade harness, the PARKTRONIC sensors work, but....

Plugging in the Radars I now get 4 SGR errors, where before I would get 2 saying they have a malfunction (since their not connected), now that they are connected I get 4 errors. Seems sarcastic but seems like at least it is detecting both now.
But now I am not sure what the problem is, as its not really telling me much.
And the Camera is now throwing a different code, instead of before: "Communication with electronic ignition lock malfunction", now it has 2 codes: "Communication with electronic ignition lock malfunction" & "Field of view is completely restricted, system function is restricted" (Might be cause I had the hood open blocking its view)
So it seems like the Distronic system is trying to communicate now. At least more than before.

Im not sure if the SGR Radars are giving the "CAN communication" code due to my soldering and if my soldering point affects the data transfer.

Codes Im getting with the Radars connected

Codes Im getting without the Radars connected

CaliBenzDriver (04-30-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,374 Likes on 2,564 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Originally Posted by LeonF
The car has all the options, MB dealership confirmed it, I just dont have the right Parkingsensors and wiring harness. I have a harness that is supposed to work for this car, my problem is that if i try to use the parkingsensors with it, it fails. From what it looks like MB uses the same harness trhoughout the generations, but they change the layout of the main connector itself. I just need a wiring diagram for that connector, but all i can find is the wiring for the Sensors and Radars. Is there a way to get my hands on the right diagram? I can not find it on WIS.
Does this mean you bought this pre-owned car and the previous owner have messed up the wiring and those sensors ?
My suggestion is get the dealer to supply you with the correct wire harness assy for your car as per data card option level.

I worry if you experiment too much and electrically damage modules, it may cost you more.

If you assume WIS wiring is always 100% correct, DON'T.
Often I see wire color mistake.

Simple example below : the 4 pin fan connector

What color do you see on the wires ? The small one, the one not blue-green. Isn't that Red-Yellow

What color do you read on the wiring diagram for pin 3 ? of M4/7 the fan . BKRD = Black Red

A post I made on wire color screw up :
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...lor-blind.html

Hope you sort out everything soon
CaliBenzDriver (02-14-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2023, 04:41 PM

I cant really mess it up that much worst case ill end up blowing the 7.5A fuse thats assigned for this harness. The color scheme does match the wiring I have, and after rewiring it is working. But there is a new code for the Radars, and I dont know what those codes mean or how to fix. Im not sure if they just need to coded to the car or if there is an update. But its not working. Anyone know what those codes mean?

Old 02-14-2023, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The problem with Autel or Launch is, they do not use the official module name as found on Xentry. This make you finding that module in WIS a nightmate. You scanner is not Autel, it is a Launch by the software number V46.95
Since my cars has nothing better than simple parking sensors, I am not familiar with the description on the Launch to relate to Mb Xentry.

The first line, B1F8C14 component description is what I do not understand, which module is that ?

The N62 Parking System trouble code is here : https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8560344
But remember, my car has the simplest form of Parking System, where you seems to have the radar.
I don't see B1F8C14 DTC listed in N62.

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 02-14-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LeonF
I cant really mess it up that much worst case ill end up blowing the 7.5A fuse thats assigned for this harness.
Sometimes you still can damage module, even with protection fuse installed and fuse blown.
CaliBenzDriver (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 06:32 PM

That first code is regarding the Keyless GO system, I'm not sure why it's giving a code but it's all working 100%. The SGR codes is what I am trying to figure out. I don't really have access to XENTRY without going to the dealer and giving them my wallet.

I'm trying to DIY as much as possible to save a buck.
​​​​​​​
Old 02-14-2023, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Parktronic N62 (mine ) is not the same as your Radar aka DISTRONIC B29/3 and B29/2 which is a special module on its own N62/2 or N62/1 , your scanner shows module N62/2 but by right year 2014 or newer aka facelift the module is called N62/1.

Read here and get the wiring diagram but this is before year 2014 or before facelift >>>> : https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ar-sensors.pdf
Attached a N62/1 wiring diagram, supposedly for 2014 and newer N62/1.
Autel or Launch not knowing the difference between module N62/2 to N62/1 is not a suprise.

Your SGR or N62/2 is saying that it can not communicate with the 2 radar sensors B29/3 and B29/2.
So this can mean wire or wires is/are not connected to the sensors,
or
You wired wrong wire to the sensors
or
Short circuit on those 2 wires (which are called CAN BUS S1.)

Good thing your N62/2 seems healthy as it can detect no connection to B29/3 and B29/2 and un-happy when you did connected this 2.

To read the CAN BUS signal on the wires supposedly for those B29/3 and B29/2 to confirm that at least 2 of the wires are indeed CAN BUS S , you need a scope.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wiring - Module N62-1.pdf (168.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-29-2023, 02:19 PM

UPDATE.

I went ahead and purchased a complete XENTRY kit, it contains XENTRY, Vediamo, Monaco, WIS, EPC, Star Finder, etc...

I am now able to fully diagnose and check codes.

I just got my bumper brackets replacement, and finally got to install them. After plugging it all in, Clearing, than scanning for codes this is what comes up:

This seems like the same message as to what I had before, and the Codes do not bring up any information online. Looking at the diagram it should be wired correctly. I heard that when installing new radars you have to code them to the car, but im pretty sure i should be getting a different code for that. Could this be due to bad soldering?

Also when accessing the SGR module I receive this message, not sure if its normal:

My Command/Audio works, and if I press continue I still access the Module and am able to read data, and diagnose, so im not sure what thats about.

Anyone here have some info as to what could possibly be the issue that it has CAN communication issues?
Old 04-29-2023, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

front radars

You want to try to figure out what's going on with your bumper sensors.... :
  • bad wiring harness,
  • bad modules,
  • bad programming,
  • ..?..

Unplug one radar and keep the one at the far end of harness - Wirk with that simplified situation until you're confident with both the harness and a good module.

Then move that now "known good" module closer to the open position. This will vidate your harness connector.

If one module just won't cooperate try the second module. If both suck do a visual inspection of connector and the plastic case seal all around it. Compromised radars commonly show swelling.

In case nothing good comes out:
Remove radars that are not proven good... they can seriously screw things up for ya (No-crank, XmasTree,...)

Loose pins - Water intrusion:
These radar modules indeed are built with unsoldered pins but their biggest issue is the non-waterproof connector that lets in road spray.
You can only preventively silicon the harness BEFORE soaking happens... after water intrusion: no internal fix possible, new parts necessary.

🤞
Old 04-29-2023, 03:31 PM

The Radars are brand new, they have no water intrusion. But I have heard many stories about them getting water damaged so in the long run I am going to apply some sealing silicone around the cracks and some dielectric grease at the connector.

MB really couldn't make the Radars more accessible, I have to remove the front end again to disconnect them .
Im gonna see if i can resolder wiring that I had done, as I remember I didn't even solder all, some are hand-twisted and taped up (was in a hurry that day).
Looking at XENTRY i can see that the Rear Blind Spot Radars are both working, but when I start my car I almost instantly get a Blind Spot Assist Inoperable Notification on the Dash, but XENTRY is showing the data, and it is showing distance from metal objects. Not sure why its not working, could it be that if Distronic is not functional the whole Assist System will shut down?
Old 04-29-2023, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you crack me up 👍

"MB really couldn't make the Radars more accessible, I have to remove the front end again to disconnect them ."

That's why I have not dealt with amazing LED Headlights Modules or waterproofed front radars Modules. (I drive w212 exclusively on dry days because I know about a few "high maintenance" games.)

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 04-29-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Leon,
I think it would be wise to re-visit the wiring "modification" you did.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:05 PM

I took the harness off and unwrapped it to check if it matches the MB Diagrams, it matches the diagrams.
Cut out the bad wire connections I had made last time and perfectly soldered it and heat shrunk it. But its still giving me the same code.
Next order of business' is ordering a new harness, my guess is the CAN signal is very picky. Even with good soldering my guess its still giving a different resistance value, enough to not being able to communicate.
Buying a new harness is going to remove the wiring factor out of the issue, MB quoted me $350 for a new harness, now its time to find a better deal online.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:57 AM

It's been a month and I'm back from vacation and my new harness is in. I ordered the exact harness I need from a MB dealership in Germany and brought it back home, no aftermarket or used, New. Installed it in the bumper and hooked it all up.

Parking Sensors work, but the 2 Distronic Radars are still giving an error.

2 Front Radars are New,
Wiring Harness is New,
Xentry is showing the same error.

Am I missing something here? I have heard that the Radars need to programed to the car, but i can not find any info in Xentry or Online Posts on how to do it.

I've checked the SW of the Module with DTS Monaco and it's the latest and up to date one. Do I have to reflash it with the new Radars Installed? Because I can not find the actual Radars itself anywhere and how to flash a new SW on them, just the Module.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? If it is possible to flash and program the Radars to the car myself with the hardware I have I can pay someone to show me how to do it remotely.
If not let me know if I need to do anything else.
konigstiger, some advice?