W212 rear subframe extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 11:12 PM
Veteran: Navy

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Well it's an MB dealer so everything is more expensive there so he got away with it cheaply for going to an MB dealer. An indy might have been cheaper or the same, but then again you don't have to run around while the subframe gets done at one place and the brake lines at another, especially with bad brake lines.
Im not sure what exactly your saying. Anyhow.

They got the warranty covered so they were paid for the subframe removal/install. The brake lines are a quick job once subframe is out. From what I have scene the lines cost about $70 each if they are available. Figure $250 for both metal lines and rubber lines for the rear of the vehicle. That's another $750 for swapping the lines. Just sayin.

Last edited by Quint22; 04-23-2024 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Quint22
Im not sure what exactly your saying. Anyhow.

They got the warranty covered so they were paid for the subframe removal/install. The brake lines are a quick job once subframe is out. From what I have scene the lines cost about $70 each if they are available. Figure $250 for both metal lines and rubber lines for the rear of the vehicle. That's another $750 for swapping the lines. Just sayin.
Yeah but one trick to boost your pay is to quote multiple jobs at the same time and charge each job like you're just coming in for that one job. So of course it's less hours if the subframe is already apart but some have been quoted 4k just for the brake lines even though the subframe was also being done at the same time as that 4k involved removing the subframe to get at the lines. Don't forget some dealers mark up the hours and some like $250/hour so it can add up quick.
The following users liked this post:
Nosa1 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by Zavato
This deserves its own thread.

it appears that MB has now gone ahead and extended the warranty for corroded rear subframes that have corrosion caused holes in it to 20 years. That’s a 4 figure repair. Owners are supposed to be receiving a letter setting out the terms of this extended warranty.
My 2011 e350 is at the dealership right now. Been there for 2 weeks and I was not given a loaner. It was covered under Mercedes benz warranty. Thanks to the mechanic that discovered the rust.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
GLK350
Quite a money maker for MB!

Found my 2010 GLK (Canada) has subframe issue.

Dealer says, yes no problem $170 to inspect. Then if issue, owner responsible for parts connected to subframe which typically runs about $4K.

Seriously? What are these parts that didn’t need changing until the subframe problem happened.

Any opinions on whether to let them do this? The car is good otherwise and we would like to take on family trip in a month, so going at it myself is probably not a good plan. I wonder if I could do it for about 1-2k though..,

Thanks!

PS This sounds like MB has turned a class action lawsuit into a great money maker for them. Nice to know that they have no chance of going out of business because of a single poor design issue, tongue in cheek.

​​​​​​​
Old 06-18-2024, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 350
Cars less than 20 yrs covered by Mercedes warranty

My e350 had the subframe rusted out and it's being replaced right now at Mercedes dealership under Mercedes Benz warranty

Last edited by Nosa1; 06-18-2024 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-18-2024, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 & 2014 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Underlook
Found my 2010 GLK (Canada) has subframe issue.

Dealer says, yes no problem $170 to inspect. Then if issue, owner responsible for parts connected to subframe which typically runs about $4K.

Seriously? What are these parts that didn’t need changing until the subframe problem happened.

Any opinions on whether to let them do this? The car is good otherwise and we would like to take on family trip in a month, so going at it myself is probably not a good plan. I wonder if I could do it for about 1-2k though..,

Thanks!

PS This sounds like MB has turned a class action lawsuit into a great money maker for them. Nice to know that they have no chance of going out of business because of a single poor design issue, tongue in cheek.

​​​​​​​

This is the first post describing such an experience that I've seen, I would recommend at least calling another local MB dealer and asking about the same.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:56 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by OutlawsMerc
This is the first post describing such an experience that I've seen, I would recommend at least calling another local MB dealer and asking about the same.
Thank you for that. That’s the kind of info am I looking for. In my area of Canada we are blessed with only a single dealer. However, I can call the next nearest, wherever that is, and check the story.

I am not gullible about cars and they will be providing a quote and I will be questioning. If there are any other recommendations from anyone that will give me more ammunition, I would be happy to have it. Such as if they start talking about control arm sensors or brake lines that need replacing. Will they demand that certain things are replaced stating it is for legal and safety reasons?

(I know the car needs rear springs and I have the MB parts already in hand. Also would like to get ABS tone rings done while they are there. I don’t know anything else it needs. If they need to do some new bolts because they are professionals and for safety, fine, but 4K in parts sounds crazy. I also just did flex discs. Maybe other cars rolling in are total rust buckets. I don’t know. Maybe they are just trying to scare people from the work, or they are trying to recoup costs. I expect the latter.)

Thanks again!

Last edited by Underlook; 06-18-2024 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:36 AM

Received 232 Likes on 132 Posts
2011 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
I had the subframe replaced by my local dealer last year under the warranty and they came back with that the rear brake lines above the subframe had corrosion (not compromised yet) and tried to up sell the brake lines to the rear. I declined the brake line replacement which if I remember correctly was in the 2k dollar range. I would definitely bring it to another dealer and have them inspect and come back with if additional repairs are needed. The warranty only covers the subframe and related parts to reinstall...does not cover any other compromised systems...brake lines...etc.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:29 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by Raj1471
I had the subframe replaced by my local dealer last year under the warranty and they came back with that the rear brake lines above the subframe had corrosion (not compromised yet) and tried to up sell the brake lines to the rear. I declined the brake line replacement which if I remember correctly was in the 2k dollar range. I would definitely bring it to another dealer and have them inspect and come back with if additional repairs are needed. The warranty only covers the subframe and related parts to reinstall...does not cover any other compromised systems...brake lines...etc.
Perfect. Thanks for that info. I will look to avoid the upsell by getting a second opinion if necessary and inspecting myself, maybe some photos.
Raj1471 (06-21-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 12:02 PM

GLK350
Great Dealer Experience!

Hi All,

To update, the rear subframe of the GLK350 2010 was replaced under warranty by the only dealership in Nova Scotia Canada.

It turned out to be an excellent experience. Customer service was excellent and responsive. They did not try to upsell the work significantly (I made sure the brake lines were in good shape in advance).

Everything related to the subframe including a link on each side was covered under the warranty. I had them put in new springs (where I already had the MB genuine parts) and they rebuilt the parking brake for me so it would pass safety inspection. They did extra good factory undercoating on the new subframe. They did the safety inspection and found no other issues. With all that the total bill was just under $900 mostly 3 hours labor for the spring work etc.

They also waxed the car nicely. All considered a great experience and I would not hesitate to return for service to this dealer if necessary.

It did take a while to get done so luckily I had a spare car. Would have been an expensive rental!

Cheers,
Raj1471 (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Underlook
Hi All,

To update, the rear subframe of the GLK350 2010 was replaced under warranty by the only dealership in Nova Scotia Canada.

It turned out to be an excellent experience. Customer service was excellent and responsive. They did not try to upsell the work significantly (I made sure the brake lines were in good shape in advance).

Everything related to the subframe including a link on each side was covered under the warranty. I had them put in new springs (where I already had the MB genuine parts) and they rebuilt the parking brake for me so it would pass safety inspection. They did extra good factory undercoating on the new subframe. They did the safety inspection and found no other issues. With all that the total bill was just under $900 mostly 3 hours labor for the spring work etc.

They also waxed the car nicely. All considered a great experience and I would not hesitate to return for service to this dealer if necessary.

It did take a while to get done so luckily I had a spare car. Would have been an expensive rental!

Cheers,
There's a couple videos on how to replace the springs as a DIY, had it done a long while ago. You basically drop one side of the control arm and the whole thing lowers so you can just remove the spring by hand. Not that hard and around a hundredish at an indy as you didn't even need to use a spring compressor.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:58 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
E63 AMG 2009 E55 AMG 2005 E63 AMG Wagon 2007
Would you guys think MB would do the recall with my 2011 e550 rear subframe? Seems to be a lot of surface/layered rust but no holes as stated in the extended warranty notice.

Old 08-19-2024, 05:04 PM

GLK350
I’m no expert but those photos look pretty bad to me. MB in NS Canada charged $170 CAD for the inspection but it is waived if subframe is replaced under warranty. Probably worth taking the gamble with those photos in my opinion.
Baltistyle (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 10:20 PM

Received 393 Likes on 273 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by Saurabh914
Would you guys think MB would do the recall with my 2011 e550 rear subframe? Seems to be a lot of surface/layered rust but no holes as stated in the extended warranty notice.

Yeah that looks pretty bad. There seems to be delaminating and cracking. Having dealt with rust long ago on some trucks, that rust will spread extremely quickly (1-2 years to failure imo) considering it has no protection at all.

Sounds like a process but at least we are covered.

Does anybody know if the new subframe has a different galvanic process or coating? What makes this sub frame better or longer lasting than the last part? Right now my 2013 has a frame I could eat off since it does not see any salt at all but I wonder if it will happen to finally degrade right outside of the warranty
Old 08-20-2024, 08:37 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by Baltistyle
Yeah that looks pretty bad. There seems to be delaminating and cracking. Having dealt with rust long ago on some trucks, that rust will spread extremely quickly (1-2 years to failure imo) considering it has no protection at all.

Sounds like a process but at least we are covered.

Does anybody know if the new subframe has a different galvanic process or coating? What makes this sub frame better or longer lasting than the last part? Right now my 2013 has a frame I could eat off since it does not see any salt at all but I wonder if it will happen to finally degrade right outside of the warranty
I asked the dealer whether the new subframe is expected to last longer. I was not told the subframe was an improved design by the service person, so I assume it is the same. They did give the new subframe extra heavy duty factory undercoating which will hopefully help it last and hints that it is the same part. Probably the biggest thing is to keep it well undercoated now that there is an awareness of the issue, and with that it would probably last forever. I plan to keep my GLK until it looks like an antique, so I plan to keep on the undercoating. Cheers.
Old 08-20-2024, 09:10 AM

Received 251 Likes on 187 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
The new ones have holes to drain water in areas it used to hold water.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldManAndHisCar:
ChuckWagon2 (09-13-2024), Underlook (08-20-2024)