Metal in Oil at 27,800 miles '12 E-350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by donparrish
First, I want to thank all that have replied. Let me make a few things a bit more clear: The professional opinion I am working from today is a "second" opinion, the first from highly qualified independent MB mechanic, the second from another independent repair service which is noted by many to have some of the best MB mechanics in Phoenix. Neither of these two have made any remote indication they would like to buy this car.
I have seen the photographic evidence of what's in the oil filter. There is no reason to think these are like the dirty air cleaner supposedly remove from your car at the quick lube shop. Having a good bit of experience with oil/metal problems from several thousand hours in turbine aircraft, what I see is bad.
If that is not good enough, anyone listening to the car now would certainly agree it must be bad, very bad.
To refine the "noise" progression: (Although not driven a great many miles over the last few years, the car was driven on a regular basis, short trips but always up to operating temperature.) Beginning probably about 500 to 700 miles back there was what I could only describe as a tick at start-up. After driving and coming to full temp, the tick was still there. Could not be heard in the car. Perhaps my first mistake, I should have stopped then. Over time it became a bit worse and I began to hear the noise inside the car. In the last 50 miles or less, the problem was much more pronounced, and I began talking to the first "opinion". I made note of sounds now and can report at start-up it is more than a tick, at 1000 rpm it is much more noticeable. Car in Park, advancing the rpm from there it becomes more like an engine wanting to come apart. At one time the sound seemed to reduce significantly above 2500 rpm' not now. The car can be moved around a bit at idle rpm but advancing the throttle seems to be asking for it to come apart.
My second opinion service center was aware of "L105.10-P-056435" but due to the tick or rattling noise never dissipating after sufficient oil pressure, that was not the problem. Arguable point? Perhaps, but not from me.
Bottom line today. Retired, not wealthy but comfortable. Already have two cars, a truck (and a '67 Corvette), don't need the MB. May have to admit that perhaps some of all this is my fault. I can do that and I can afford to say that. That's not being arrogant, I worked hard to get here. My choice today is an expensive repair (no doubt, it is an MB) or install a used engine also not inexpensive. Either of those choices cost near or above $10K and in the end the car is still a 2012 worth what (?) and waiting for the next shoe to drop. So...the MB will go. Make me an offer.
Thanks again to all for your input,
Don Parrish Phoenix
Sorry to hear this. As far as it being your fault I wouldn't think so. A reasonably even poorly maintained Mercedes shouldn't be giving up the ghost with less than 30k miles. The question is have either of the mechanics provided a diagnosis for this issue? I think that if it is a cam timing issue an indy should be able to repair it for a tolerable cost. So I think some additional diagnosis is in order before you throw in the towel.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 03-24-2023 at 04:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
juanmor40 (03-24-2023), pierrejoliat (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by donparrish
Arrie:
I will admit here my inability to post the recording I have which is 1:16. Made with my iPhone but not able to move to an email form for posting.
Suffice it to say, the pronounced knocking at 2000-2500 and beyond is loud and severe.
Don
In my first video clip my engine was idling the normal about 630 rpm. Imagine what that rattling sound would he at 2000+ rpm.

Last edited by Arrie; 03-24-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,952 Likes on 3,109 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Without a picture of the alleged metal particles I'm going to say it's highly unlikely there's anything wrong with your engine. I've taken apart a few MB oil filters and every one, EVERY time had traces of metal flakes especially when shining a flashlight into the bottom of the oil filter housing. I stopped doing it as I found it to be a pointless exercise. This is normal, and my 190k mile m272 engine is living proof.
Agree. @donparrish consider that your mechanic may be trying to take you for a ride. What do you think?
The following users liked this post:
E55Greasemonkey (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 10:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
E-350
Once again, note to all who have responded to my post. Thank you for your thoughts and taking the time to reply.
I'm confident about the analysis given by my second opinion shop. When I told him yesterday the car was going to be sold at a very low price, he neither offered me to buy or to give his shop the opportunity to repair the engine. I'm well sure any repair would be expensive and not enhance the value of the car beyond what it would only be worth on the market today. Along with that is the gnawing fear of "what will go wrong next".
The decision is painfully made and today the car will be sold for a paltry sum and if the buyer makes a lot of money on the deal, I will be fine with that and will enjoy the ignorance of not knowing what happens anyway. In the end the car depreciation will have costs us about $6K a year. Not the largest depreciation I have experienced in my life and I have the benefit of this chapter is over.
Thanks to all,
Don Parrish, Phoenix
The following 5 users liked this post by donparrish:
atraudes (03-27-2023), chassis (03-26-2023), E55Greasemonkey (03-25-2023), MBNUT1 (03-25-2023), pierrejoliat (03-26-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 04:27 AM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
Damn I wish I found the car, I would have been interested in it. I'd like to inspect the oil filter, lower oil pan, look under the valve covers, give it a couple rapid succession oil changes.

You seem like a nice guy thats why I suspect we're all just trying to make absolutely sure you don't have to give up the car we're not out to get you or the mechanics you're working with. That and you know, I actually want to sort of have some degree of faith in my favorite car brand, and my favorite Mercedes platform in general.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisHimself:
juanmor40 (04-01-2023), pierrejoliat (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
E-350
ChisHimself,
The car is sold. While the expertise and judgement of any technician can be called into question, I had no doubts about the noise this engine made. The repair, no matter the problem, was going to be more than I wanted to spend nor good for my peace of mind. Regardless of choice of service organization, I think situations like this with an MB is an open check. I did have a hard number of $10K for a used engine but it would have been a 57K mile engine in a 28K mile car. All that would have done for us would be a car then not worth what a 2012 E-350 with only 28K miles should be worth. If the new owner makes money on his purchase, I will not know and now will not care. We have another car, a Lexus, a '67 Corvette, F-250 Ford truck, 1952 ******, and a Parade Worthy 1955 Ford Tractor. I think we will be fine. And as for my peace of mind, things are much improved...the car is gone and out of mind and after a months long struggle with my tractor, just yesterday I successfully installed a new distributor and started the engine. The tags for the MB were expiring and the insurance was about to be renewed....not. Like money in the bank.
Thanks for your interest and comments. This was our second MB and probably the last.
Regards, Don Parrish
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-01-2023)