E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Sudden power loss at initial acceleration, like throttle loses power??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 09:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,444 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Chevota
Not sure how long to disconnect the battery for. I think a few minutes should be plenty but I've read some cars need hours or over night. I guess I'd do overnight if it's not a big deal, otherwise do whatever you can.
Apparently the time issue is some modules can hold voltage in a cap(s) for xx time so they're not reset until drained down far enough. Which, or if any, MB modules do that I can't say.

Then afterwards everything may work fine, or you may have lost some things. For me I usually lose the memory position for the left rear window, so when I close the door it's ~1/4" or so open. I have Coupe so they open when you open that much when you open the door, then roll up when you close it. So I think that function is affected and it doesn't know where closed is? That 1/4" is just the usual amount, it varies and one time it opened about 3".
The reset procedure is opening the window while holding the button down and keep holding for 5 sec after it stops, then repeat on the up stroke. This is claimed to tell the module; "hey stupid, this is where fully open and closed is" since it can't figure it out on its own. I've found that on mine it doesn't need 5 sec, 2 sec works, and I only need to do the up stroke. It doesn't always work either so I do the reset and as soon as I let off the button it opens again. I may do it five or so times and nothing, and give up, then the next day I do it once and it works. Go figure.
Another is I lose the folding mirrors, so I go into the menu and turn that option Off, close out of the menu, turn the ignition Off, then go back in and turn it back On and it usually works. The one time it did not work I tried turning it Off, ignition Off, then I closed the door and locked it. Then got back in turned it back On and they worked. Not sure if the whole locking thing made a difference, but fyi. I don't recall any other issues but my last car I'd lose my radio presets and I think seat memory?

PeterUbers: I see you have an E40 tune. I've been able to go up to 50% Ethanol (mixing E85 and 91) on my car so far and wondered if you're aware of any Ethanol related issues, like the pumps or lines etc being damaged? I hear stories but I wonder if these cars are immune or not? I do it because I get a lot of spark retard on 91 octane, which is all that's available. At ~30% Eth that goes away, and 50% I can add 1.5 deg timing at full load. All stock except the ECU tweaking I do to get it to cooperate on that much Ethanol.
Mine is a '16 E550 Coupe 2wd
lots of e40-e50 tunes and no issues yet but we don't have long term data. Cats are another issue and so far mine are good. I'm primarily using the 100 octane tune and loving it! No issues with fuel pumps either at/under e40 for me. Have you considered a tcu tune?
Old 05-29-2023, 10:44 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
I have an OE 100 Oct tune but I can't quite use that, it's .75 degrees too much timing. I know how that sounds but it would cause the ECU to pull timing and it doesn't just pull the .75, it's usually 3 on up to 6 degrees. Not sure if you look, but if it's pulling timing then it ends up being worse than the oem timing. Not just the timing either, but at some point the ECU will pull power too. I learned that with 91 octane, which is what the car is supposed to use but it pings/retards a lot! If I retard the timing to work on 91 (3 deg at full load), I net a good chunk more power. With the 50% Eth I can only go 1.5 deg over oem, but that's 4.5 over 91. So I rekon the car really wants 94-95 Oct and I'm currently ~96 or so? Just a guesstimate.

I'd love a TCU tune, just not willing to pull my plate out, send it off and wait a week. Plus the risk of damage or loss in shipping. Nor looking fwd to paying $1800.
Plus, with my crappy luck, I'd go through all that and the next month there will be a way to do it myself, which is what I really want to do anyway.
I get the usual throttle closing in 1st, and of course less so in 2nd and so on, but I also seem to have enough power that it doesn't matter? I mean I can spin them until it shifts into 3rd, so despite closing the throttle I still have more than I can use. I dunno, I guess I won't really know until I do it, and I'm sure 3rd gear would be better.
So with this EDOK tune thing you have wait until they roll into town? Man, he's probably gotta line of people begging to give him $. I also wonder how an OBD port tune works compared to a bench tune? I wonder if it can really access everything or just kinda half-***? I saw another OBD version and it looked half-*** to me. I actually have one, a lame one, and all it does it lock the oem settings to the most aggressive. Meaning those stupid "adjusts to your driving style" settings, which are those same ones you reset doing the throttle reset talked about earlier.
Sprint Booster so one of those throttle thingies right? I actually softened my throttle off idle because it was too sensitive, then it's about oem at the half way point, then it ramps up slightly quicker above that. It's infinitely adjustable to whatever I want. I could make it so the pedal doesn't do anything at all, or goes from idle to just a kiss of the pedal it's full throttle, or could reverse it so floored is idle and not touching it is full throttle. Never tried those btw, but it's doable.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Chevota
I have an OE 100 Oct tune but I can't quite use that, it's .75 degrees too much timing. I know how that sounds but it would cause the ECU to pull timing and it doesn't just pull the .75, it's usually 3 on up to 6 degrees. Not sure if you look, but if it's pulling timing then it ends up being worse than the oem timing. Not just the timing either, but at some point the ECU will pull power too. I learned that with 91 octane, which is what the car is supposed to use but it pings/retards a lot! If I retard the timing to work on 91 (3 deg at full load), I net a good chunk more power. With the 50% Eth I can only go 1.5 deg over oem, but that's 4.5 over 91. So I rekon the car really wants 94-95 Oct and I'm currently ~96 or so? Just a guesstimate.

I'd love a TCU tune, just not willing to pull my plate out, send it off and wait a week. Plus the risk of damage or loss in shipping. Nor looking fwd to paying $1800.
Plus, with my crappy luck, I'd go through all that and the next month there will be a way to do it myself, which is what I really want to do anyway.
I get the usual throttle closing in 1st, and of course less so in 2nd and so on, but I also seem to have enough power that it doesn't matter? I mean I can spin them until it shifts into 3rd, so despite closing the throttle I still have more than I can use. I dunno, I guess I won't really know until I do it, and I'm sure 3rd gear would be better.
So with this EDOK tune thing you have wait until they roll into town? Man, he's probably gotta line of people begging to give him $. I also wonder how an OBD port tune works compared to a bench tune? I wonder if it can really access everything or just kinda half-***? I saw another OBD version and it looked half-*** to me. I actually have one, a lame one, and all it does it lock the oem settings to the most aggressive. Meaning those stupid "adjusts to your driving style" settings, which are those same ones you reset doing the throttle reset talked about earlier.
Sprint Booster so one of those throttle thingies right? I actually softened my throttle off idle because it was too sensitive, then it's about oem at the half way point, then it ramps up slightly quicker above that. It's infinitely adjustable to whatever I want. I could make it so the pedal doesn't do anything at all, or goes from idle to just a kiss of the pedal it's full throttle, or could reverse it so floored is idle and not touching it is full throttle. Never tried those btw, but it's doable.
Ams dyno tuned my 100 octane and it logs fine. No issues with tcu either. IAT's are good and my ic pumps has the always on mod. The 100 octane rips and dragy was consistently 10.5 in the 1/4. You can get a remote tcu tune from at least a couple people like renntech, weistec. People seem happy with it but yes with edok you gotta wait for them. I'm religious about changing plugs and coils at 5-7k intervals. I love my sprint booster - only have good things to say about it

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-29-2023 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:00 AM

E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Man, I can only dream about 10.5. I think I'm 12.0, maybe high 11, but I suppose I'll never know. I just know it takes 12.0 to hit 121 mph. I have a Dragy, but it's Bluetooth and that usually doesn't work for me so I only have one 0-60 run from it.
Mine is all stock except for K&N filters and my ECU tinkering. It has ~64k on it and just changed the oem plugs and coils out, which made zero difference. Other than that it's all original parts, excluding tires, oil and the main battery.

Hopefully all the competition will drive the tranz tune prices down. What I'd rather have over throttle opening more is the frikkin thing to shift when I ask it. It only has paddles, which drives me nuts, but if I ask it to shift I can "usually" get that first gear change request, but the second one will take some time and so on. So of course that fix would be a must have if I pay $ for it.

I don't suppose this AMS place gave you all the dyno data? I'd love to see the spark timing, cam timing, boost, fuel consumption etc etc. I'm still playing with my cam timing, and once I set it the same as yours is stock, but all it did was sound different, no extra power. I modded my IC pump to stay on for a few months, but I did it physically with a wire, which just netted me a code complaining about it but IAT's were no better. I can now adjust the ECU to do that, but instead of 100% I did 25% just to keep the water from sitting in the tubes and getting hot, and it ramps up to 100% at a much lower temp than stock.

Sorry Aussie 350, it seems everyone is going off topic but we're still here for you.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:11 AM

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts
2013 E350 Facelift (Japan Import) 2007 E350 Elegance Wagon, 2014 E350 Wagon facelift model Jap Model
Ok I have had both batteries disconnected overnight,
put it back together this morning and went for a drive, the gearbox was silky smooth and all seemed good. Stopped at a roundabout and took off using a bit more throttle and the sudden power loss was still happening, I'll swap throttle peddles from my good car and see if that's the issue

Cheers!!

Since power down of the car it's now got this error on the dash??

​​​​​​Any ideas why or how to clear it?

Last edited by Aussie_E350_Wag; 06-01-2023 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,128 Likes on 754 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Hopefully you just closed the hood too softly, open hood and close it with more force, should go away as it's the hood open sensor.
The following 4 users liked this post by pierrejoliat:
Aussie_E350_Wag (06-01-2023), CaliBenzDriver (06-01-2023), juanmor40 (06-01-2023), PeterUbers (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 07:32 AM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
Hopefully you just closed the hood too softly, open hood and close it with more force, should go away as it's the hood open sensor.
I had a w211 in the shop today, its supposed to moan when you close it hard enough
The following 3 users liked this post by ChrisHimself:
Aussie_E350_Wag (06-01-2023), CaliBenzDriver (06-01-2023), pierrejoliat (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,297 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Originally Posted by Aussie_E350_Wag
Ok I have had both batteries disconnected overnight,
put it back together this morning and went for a drive, the gearbox was silky smooth and all seemed good. Stopped at a roundabout and took off using a bit more throttle and the sudden power loss was still happening, I'll swap throttle peddles from my good car and see if that's the issue

Cheers!!

Since power down of the car it's now got this error on the dash??

​​​​​​Any ideas why or how to clear it?
Your best 1st defense is always to SCAN to retrieve a fresh Module status. After that clear and reboot are natural second steps.

Personally I have no idea what is involved with the "active Hood" function...

This maybe leaning towards a "Poor GND" acting up. Rebooting this car is a great way to tame down its demons. Keep up normal voltage at all time, specially during 30mn scans sessions. ✌️

TEST:
If your wipers are working normally then the engine bonet/hood is known shut by the TWO hood lock sensors.
The following 3 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
Aussie_E350_Wag (06-01-2023), juanmor40 (06-01-2023), pierrejoliat (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,128 Likes on 754 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
The following 5 users liked this post by pierrejoliat:
Aussie_E350_Wag (06-01-2023), CaliBenzDriver (06-01-2023), ChrisHimself (06-02-2023), juanmor40 (06-01-2023), S-Prihadi (06-03-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 11:59 PM

2013 E350 Facelift (Japan Import) 2007 E350 Elegance Wagon, 2014 E350 Wagon facelift model Jap Model
**UPDATE**

I have swapped the peddle from my E350 into her E350 and went for a drive, issue is still happening...if you hit the peddle hard, the car loads up like a slingshot so that when the throttle/power returns it triggers the traction control and light on dash flashes and it even chirps the back tyres on dry road...it then rockets off like a dog shot in the ***.

Its only the initial acceleration from a stop that its happening.

We did a service on the transmission before this started to happen, could it be the auto causing the problem?

I'm totally stuffed as to what's going with this thing!

The Active Hood Malfunction error is also still happening after slamming the hood closed.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Oh I see - so when you slam the gas ... you actually increase the revs of the engine, but the transmission doesn't engage, then suddenly the trans engages and you take off aggressively

I was under the impression when you hit the gas the engine did nothing ..

am I understanding this correctly now?
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 12:57 PM

E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
dumb question but Eco is off, correct?
otherwise what you described sounds like a tranny issue, and uf so, note its very hard on the trans to do that. All that power suddenly hitting gears that is. they can take a lot of torque but dont like being suddenly shocked with it. as a kid my friends would put cars in neutral, floor it and drop it in gear to get the tires to spin.
its also very odd it only does it when floored? is that correct? if a trans issue it should do it all the time, but a lesser shock with less gas given.
i dont suppose you could post a video, from your view, showing the dash and road so we could see both and get a better feel for it. maybe normal start, 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle? assuming itll do it to some degee at those points. i dont want you to do full throttle out of fear youll break it.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:12 AM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
...did someone mess up your transmission service?

Do you have details of the last transmission service you did? Fluid specs? Parts? Do you have a transmission pan leak? I can only guess, I'm all the way over here and even as a service advisor I'm literally still learning something new every single day and even on this board I realize how little I still know.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:39 PM

Its like a TransBrake in a drag car, the car dies but because the throttle is opened up say 1/3 when it gets power again it just launches!...its crazy when it happens. I am going to get Agility Mode removed from the ECU also as its not suited to this wagon.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:42 PM

***UPDATE***

After throttle peddle swap nothing changed, powered off car with both batteries off, reconnected and car much better than before, it still has the issue but its less severe and less frequent, I am getting Benzninja to remote into the car to fix a few things and we'll see if he can see anything in the logs about the throttle cutting out issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aussie_E350_Wag:
CaliBenzDriver (06-03-2023), pierrejoliat (06-04-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 08:01 PM
MKD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL350 Bluetec / 2014 S350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Aussie_E350_Wag
***UPDATE***

After throttle peddle swap nothing changed, powered off car with both batteries off, reconnected and car much better than before, it still has the issue but its less severe and less frequent, I am getting Benzninja to remote into the car to fix a few things and we'll see if he can see anything in the logs about the throttle cutting out issue.
Hi fellow Aussie

I seem to be getting the same issue on my 2013 GL350 Bluetec. Did you manage to solve the problem ultimately?

Cheers