E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2011 E350 4MATIC shaking while accelerating and rpm surging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 4MATIC
2011 E350 4MATIC shaking while accelerating and rpm surging

My 2011 E350 4MATIC has rpm surging at just about any constant speed, usually bouncing around 2100 to 2700 rpm (this being different depending on speed and gear) at around 45 mph. With that, there's also a specific range on the gas pedal that will cause aggressive vibrating at the front and the rear of the car, with the front being off and on. That range is also widened when going uphill, so I'm usually having to step pretty far down on the pedal to make it up a hill without causing the car to vibrate. I believe they're related because of the fact that when the car starts vibrating, the tachometer shows the rpm getting stuck at the higher range of its surge until the vibrating stops (usually when I ease off or push further on the gas pedal).Not to say accelerating doesn't have anything to do with it, but I can accelerate without the car vibrating and the vibration can happen even when going a constant speed. So with a specific spot on the gas pedal seemingly causing it, I believe it has something to do with putting a specific amount of torque on the driveline. The car has new tires, fresh oil, new engine mounts, and a brand new driveshaft because I thought that the flex joints could have something to do with the vibrating, and it turned out that the center bearing along with the u-joint were bad. However, after changing it out, the vibration was still there when hitting the spot on the pedal, but it was a deep rumble for a while until it went right back to being an aggressive vibration after about a week. The car also shifts pretty rough, and it seems like the car shifting can also sometimes cause the vibrating. I plan to change the transmission fluid whether it's contributing to the problem or not because I don't think it has been changed at all in its lifetime. It has about 162500 miles on it. Could it be the transmission? I figure it has something to do with the driveline because of what seems to be causing the vibration. As for the rpm surging, I've heard everything from the transmission to the intake manifold. I think I'll start with the transmission fluid because it could be related to both problems. Please let me know your thoughts and any known solutions for both problems.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:47 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic sedan
I see the engine mounts are new. What about the transmission mount? Is that new too? If not, I would change that.
Old 08-06-2024, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350
Originally Posted by AV2185
My 2011 E350 4MATIC has rpm surging at just about any constant speed, usually bouncing around 2100 to 2700 rpm (this being different depending on speed and gear) at around 45 mph. With that, there's also a specific range on the gas pedal that will cause aggressive vibrating at the front and the rear of the car, with the front being off and on. That range is also widened when going uphill, so I'm usually having to step pretty far down on the pedal to make it up a hill without causing the car to vibrate. I believe they're related because of the fact that when the car starts vibrating, the tachometer shows the rpm getting stuck at the higher range of its surge until the vibrating stops (usually when I ease off or push further on the gas pedal).Not to say accelerating doesn't have anything to do with it, but I can accelerate without the car vibrating and the vibration can happen even when going a constant speed. So with a specific spot on the gas pedal seemingly causing it, I believe it has something to do with putting a specific amount of torque on the driveline. The car has new tires, fresh oil, new engine mounts, and a brand new driveshaft because I thought that the flex joints could have something to do with the vibrating, and it turned out that the center bearing along with the u-joint were bad. However, after changing it out, the vibration was still there when hitting the spot on the pedal, but it was a deep rumble for a while until it went right back to being an aggressive vibration after about a week. The car also shifts pretty rough, and it seems like the car shifting can also sometimes cause the vibrating. I plan to change the transmission fluid whether it's contributing to the problem or not because I don't think it has been changed at all in its lifetime. It has about 162500 miles on it. Could it be the transmission? I figure it has something to do with the driveline because of what seems to be causing the vibration. As for the rpm surging, I've heard everything from the transmission to the intake manifold. I think I'll start with the transmission fluid because it could be related to both problems. Please let me know your thoughts and any known solutions for both problems.
Any solutions? Have you figured it out I know it was a year ago