E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Does Static LED Headlights need to be programmed? Need help on replacement.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2023 | 01:59 AM

2016 S550
Does Static LED Headlights need to be programmed? Need help on replacement.

Hello all,
I did some searching and am mostly only seeing talk about having to code the headlights for the Full LED (ILS) headlights. I can't find a definitive answer as to whether the static LED (standard facelift headlights?) need to be coded as well? My car is a 2014 E350.
Here's my issue, a week ago someone threw a football onto the highway and my passenger headlight took a hit and busted the lens. For a few days, I had no issues, no codes (I had sourced a used headlight assembly off eBay and was waiting for that to arrive).
Meanwhile, my smart *** totally forgot the headlight has a gigantic hole in it and took the car through a car wash. Minutes later, I had a warning for right low beam and right parking light. I knew that water got into the headlight and had caused those errors.
The next day, the error was still there when I started up the car, but while driving to work approximately 10 minutes into the drive, my dash went haywire, with all sorts of errors, all gauge were going crazy. Some errors included lane keep assist inoperative, pre-safe inoperative, blind spot monitoring, power steering, etc. Interestingly, the car still drove and ran just fine with all these errors and felt like power steering was still operating above 5mph or so. Once I got to work I was prepared to tow the car home later. However, several hours later, I started the car and everything was operating normally again, aside from the parking light and low beam.
So long story short, I replaced the broken headlight with a used MB headlight, swapping the headlight control module over from my headlight to the new one. I suspected the module to be dead due to being flooded with water. Expectedly, the replacement headlight had the same issues. So I suspected it must be the module.
I ordered a replacement used module from eBay that has the exact same part number. There seems to be a series of part numbers for these cars and revisions upon revisions.
Anyways, the replacement module does not change a thing. So now I'm wondering, is the used replacement module bad? Or does it just need to be coded to the car? I'm reading it may have an mismatch firmware, etc. but those threads were referring to the ILS versions.
If it doesn't need to be coded, I will likely just purchase a brand new module and swap it out again. I've taken the bumper on and off twice now, hoping I don't have to do that too many times anymore...
Any advice? My next plan is either replace the module with a brand new one, or take the car to the dealer to see if it needs to be coded, and perhaps might have to purchase a module brand new from them as well?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-2023 | 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
not simple

... forget about taking your used eBay part to the dealer for a quick blessing.

The LED HL must be programmed with QR-code to match each other's light output.

These HL modules are not DIY friendly.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-18-2023 at 02:45 AM.