E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Leak in engine coolant line that heats windshield washer reservoir

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 02:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic, former: 09 E350 4Matic, 83 240D manual, 78 450SLC, 81 500SLC
Yeah, item 1 is the thing I have new. Maybe he just set it aside because he didn't want to deal with the nozzles like you said, so the crap inside didn't get dumped out... I also put new spray nozzles in the car for him to install if he removed the old ones, but he didn't touch those either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm just glad they were able to do the hard part for me for a somewhat reasonable price, and they let me borrow their car while they worked, though I am not impressed by the 2024 C-class.

Replacing just the drip tray and spray nozzles will be an easy job for me to do later without urgency. I still have the other hidden pipes which may soon crack, so I might repeat most of their work soon. It will be easier for me to do that job when I have another car I can legally drive in case I break something I didn't plan on removing. Right now I just have the E550 and a pile of "illegal cars".

Old 06-11-2024, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
lexus
Have no fear...... Papa Prihadi is here

Last edited by DeanMassy; 06-11-2024 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:23 AM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic, former: 09 E350 4Matic, 83 240D manual, 78 450SLC, 81 500SLC
A little update:

After fixing the leak behind the false firewall described above, my coolant cap failed, but I didn't know this immediately. I just noticed that it didn't have the same click feel to it after getting the car back from the repairs. This meant that my system wasn't pressurizing, which meant that another leak that quickly sprung up wasn't apparent. I saw a tiny leak the day after getting the car back, but thought maybe it was fluid that spilled on the drip tray before/during the repair, so decided to just keep an eye on it. My coolant level didn't decrease appreciably for a few weeks, but I bought a coolant system pressure tester in the mean time to check things myself.

The low coolant light came on after a couple of weeks and by then I had the pressure tester so I used it. After putting 10psi on the reservoir, a steady stream of **** started shooting out the bottom of the car.

I have since replaced the radiator, expansion tank, cap, and the coolant hoses in the front of the engine and my cooling system holds pressure, for now...
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,580 Likes on 2,384 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
LEAKS as pressure relief

Originally Posted by ChuangTzu
A little update:

After fixing the leak behind the false firewall described above, my coolant cap failed, but I didn't know this immediately.
I just noticed that it didn't have the same click feel to it after getting the car back from the repairs. This meant that my system wasn't pressurizing, which meant that another leak that quickly sprung up wasn't apparent.
I saw a tiny leak the day after getting the car back, but thought maybe it was fluid that spilled on the drip tray before/during the repair, so decided to just keep an eye on it.
My coolant level didn't decrease appreciably for a few weeks, but I bought a coolant system pressure tester in the mean time to check things myself.

The low coolant light came on after a couple of weeks and by then I had the pressure tester so I used it. After putting 10psi on the reservoir, a steady stream of **** started shooting out the bottom of the car.

I have since replaced the radiator, expansion tank, cap, and the coolant hoses in the front of the engine and my cooling system holds pressure, for now...
Congrats on fixing your coolant leak!

My radiator crimps are starting to sweat due to rubber seals crossing 10Yr mark.

My engine coolant has been leaking since new so I am well used to the old car smell already.
I trust MB dealer assessment: this being normal for Mercedes.

Small leaks are "extra pressure relief"

Showing Tstat O-ring belt lubricating feature...

My belt is 1 month old so I am going to cancel that leak.
That aluminum pipe belongs to oil heat exchanger... located all the way down under the engine mount bracket - I know this popular mayo-mixer wants to see me...

This will be a good combined repair job:
Exchanger + Mount. Thank God no turbo in the way

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-23-2024 at 02:14 PM.