Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 12:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 G63 ; 981 boxster GTS
storage and battery

hi all
2011 e350 avantgarde here.
I may need to store the car for a month or two at a time. Not sure if I will have electrical access for a charger. Can I just pull the negative on the battery and reconnect without complications?
Old 04-19-2024, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,297 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Disconnecting BATT GND for storage

Originally Posted by jago1244
hi all
2011 e350 avantgarde here.
I may need to store the car for a month or two at a time.
Not sure if I will have electrical access for a charger.
Can I just pull the negative on the battery and reconnect without complications?
Yes, this is the easiest way to preserve the battery from the car draining it. Also include AUX Batt in the dash side or trunk or hood area.

Then RECHARGE batteries full before driving car again. Use a temporary extension cord to power the charger.

This step prevents straining the car electricals with high charge currents.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
BenzV12 (04-20-2024), juanmor40 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 975 Likes on 749 Posts
G550
Disconnecting the battery might cause some error lights that will appear after its reconnection, but running the battery flat is likely to do the same, and a flat battery is a bigger problem. You can try disconnecting the battery as an experiment and see what happens so you're prepared.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Battery disconnect has less TDC ( if any ) than a LOW VOLTAGE situation.
Best to disconnect battery when the K2 relay is already sleeping, that way less DTC. It will be minimum 6 hours from last engine running/use.
Keep hood open or un-locked. So no need to open the door. Opening door wakes up K2 relay which is Circuit 30g.
Circuit 30g serves a lot of modules too, so loosing power to it when it is not already sleeping is where most fake DTC happen.

if you have engine hours monitoring with mileage, like I do, battery disconnect will make it zero again.

How to test K2 relay is sleeping or not ? Easy
Use simple test light between ground and this post/terminal I marked K2 out, that is K2 positive output

If test light is OFF, K2 is sleeping already.
if test light is ON, K2 is still awake aka car computers not in Deep Sleep yet.

i can't comment on dashboard AUX baby 1.2aH battery, as I do not have it

Old 04-20-2024, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Battery disconnect has less TDC ( if any ) than a LOW VOLTAGE situation.
Best to disconnect battery when the K2 relay is already sleeping, that way less DTC. It will be minimum 6 hours from last engine running/use.
Keep hood open or un-locked. So no need to open the door. Opening door wakes up K2 relay which is Circuit 30g.
Circuit 30g serves a lot of modules too, so loosing power to it when it is not already sleeping is where most fake DTC happen.

if you have engine hours monitoring with mileage, like I do, battery disconnect will make it zero again.

How to test K2 relay is sleeping or not ? Easy
Use simple test light between ground and this post/terminal I marked K2 out, that is K2 positive output
If test light is OFF, K2 is sleeping already.
if test light is ON, K2 is still awake aka car computers not in Deep Sleep yet.

i can't comment on dashboard AUX baby 1.2aH battery, as I do not have it
Good additional info -- my only experience has been a battery that died during a weather cold snap, and after its replacement an array of error lights and codes. I could not tell what was caused by the dying battery and what was caused by its removal.

Do any of these older models lose any memory presets or require window recalibration after battery disconnect?

BTW, after disconnecting the battery, is there a way to lock all the doors?

Last edited by streborx; 04-20-2024 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Originally Posted by streborx
Good additional info -- my only experience has been a battery that died during a weather cold snap, and after its replacement an array of error lights and codes. I could not tell what was caused by the dying battery and what was caused by its removal.

Do any of these older models lose any memory presets or require window recalibration after battery disconnect?

When voltage is 10.5V or lower and say stay there for 1 second, lots of DTC will happen.
Alternator takes approx 2 seconds as fastest to wake up and start giving current/power from an engine just started. So 2 seconds of low battery experienced at least.

Sometimes the low battery voltage is so low, the module/s can reset and they are not supposed to reset during normal operation, so DTC can be plenty and is reported by
other modules and not the reset-ded low battery modules.

I am sure the lock button of the door can be manually pushed and it will lock the door, even without battery power.
I never try though, as my car is never locked at home. But key I keep a distance away as to not wake up the Keyless-Go feature

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
I am sure the lock button of the door can be manually pushed and it will lock the door, even without battery power.
I never try though, as my car is never locked at home. But key I keep a distance away as to not wake up the Keyless-Go feature
Just curious about this. When the OP stated AC power for a battery maintainer might not be available, I concluded that the storage location might be less than totally secure, and would require the vehicle to be locked.

My G550's doors can be manually locked, but not the cargo door (that provides battery access) AFAIK. Disconnecting the battery and subsequently securing the vehicle is not immediately obvious to me.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,297 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
short key opens front + rear entries

Finding a way to lock the car secure and a way to reverse course one month later too

As fart as I know... The short stubbly key hidden in the MB Ignition Key should open both the driver door to pop hood open AND the trunk to reconnect AUX batt.

Rehearse the procedure while keeping driver window down for easy entry.

The following users liked this post:
JettaRed (04-20-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine

Yes,

Before disconnecting the battery lock all the doors and then pull the lock pin on the driver side passenger door. Close the doors.

After disconnecting the battery open the driver side passenger door and lock the driver door by pushing the pin in and the push passenger door pin in and close it.

This also works with battery connected. I used this many times when leaving the car for a dealer service after hours and dropping the key in their box.