E-Class Stop/Start stops working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes-benz e220 amg sport cdi auto 2014
E-Class Stop/Start stops working

Hi all,
I have a Mercedes-Benz e220 AMG sport cdi auto 2014 here in the UK. When I drive, and come to a standstill, the car appears to switch off, causing a jolt on the steering well, and then switches back on (like a complete reboot). This causes the Ecco Stop/Start to not work (light on switch goes out) and a message appearing on the drivers console saying "PRE-SAFE Functions limited See Owner's Manual".
Obviously I've looked in the manual and it is helpless!
I've read a number of Stop/Start threads saying its the battery for the stop/start function that it's the safety system that turns off when it's about to collide. However my concern is that it is more than than that as I am more or less at a stand still when it 'reboots'.

Any ideas are greatly received.
Old 07-03-2024, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,384 Likes on 2,254 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Originally Posted by WestyOfPoole
Hi all,
I have a Mercedes-Benz e220 AMG sport cdi auto 2014 here in the UK. When I drive, and come to a standstill, the car appears to switch off, causing a jolt on the steering well, and then switches back on (like a complete reboot). This causes the Ecco Stop/Start to not work (light on switch goes out) and a message appearing on the drivers console saying "PRE-SAFE Functions limited See Owner's Manual".
Obviously I've looked in the manual and it is helpless!
I've read a number of Stop/Start threads saying its the battery for the stop/start function that it's the safety system that turns off when it's about to collide.
However my concern is that it is more than than that as I am more or less at a stand still when it 'reboots'.

Any ideas are greatly received.
Pre-Safe may become unstable under low voltage.

ECO will be disabled when ECU is concerned that engine will not be able to restart.

The underlaying issues that cause low voltage are many including exhausted batteries, ECU, draining battery with engine off as well of engine on.

I suggest you buy a jump pack stowed in your boot and a float charger to simply offset your battery issues.

Your engine being diesel it has additional starting requirements . Use a scanner to check your glow plugs.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-03-2024 at 05:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
Andre Cateb (07-04-2024), Raj1471 (07-03-2024), WestyOfPoole (07-03-2024)