You know ur car is getting older in humid country...when

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,529 Likes on 2,649 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
You know ur car is getting older in humid country...when

......When your R50 heater element for the multi-camera peek-a-window goes bad.....

Nothing I can do.

R50 Heater, just like rear windshield defroster copper lines. Measured 500 Kilo Ohms. Xentry declared R50 Open Circuit.
I am sure the heater also covers the Rain & Light sensor, viewing port perimeter. That purple thingy on the left of the mono camera.

So I tear it open.... LOL

Its part of the windshield, must buy NEW WINDHIELD... https://www.ebay.com/itm/165300932062

When in 2021. Pano roof bolts loctite-ded work

Today.

Mine is A40/11 , not A40/13 which is the more advance ADAS equipped car.

R50 heater reads 500 Kilo Ohms. So Xentry declared it as open circuit.
I found out yesterday when testing the headlights. So today me investigate.

I never knew there is a heater on that region of the windishield. I only know wiper park zone heater, which shares the wiring loom with wiper motor's.

The solution is swallow the pain pill of aging car

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
chassis (07-08-2024), Senecat (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,411 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
SOLDERLESS MFK....

Master Surya, we won't let you swallow this pill without having fun.

MFK printed heater array

Another new/used module will hardly be better than you low mileage unit.

Solderless rains stealthy chaos without code until it forces many things to go nuts.
​​​​​​
I have a similar setup with stereoscopic twin camera that both have windshield heater traces

​​​​​​As far as I know this hard load is driven directly through MFK solderless connections. The end result is a defective module.

These pins get oxidized by the condensation on cold surfaces.... just like inside headlights moist air condensation.

The countermeasure is soldering + confirmal coating.

> Instrumentation Fun:
scope the PCB power while exercising the heater output. Should show voltage dropping underload.

> The Real Deal....
The main issue is not heater tracks...
it's the quiet chaos MFK spreads on CAN-E Bus members.
It's always surprising to discover what other modules get improved by soldering loose pins.

One module interact with another that goes nuts and brings chaos to a third one (ESP - ECU - TCU).
Once you get that clear you can get bang-free timely up/down precise shifts.

> Forecast guess....
Look at what sort of PID's are hosted to enumerate partners.
This module is always busy streaming on high speed can.

The engineered poor connections causes network delays and disfunctional partners - See link.

> OYSTER SHELL....
This gem is one of the last major modules I have not fixed. It's assembled by crimping the aluminum heatsink cover all around. Aluminum does not tolerate much bending before breaking up.
I wonder if we can drill new "swiss-cheese" venting holes to keep temps down under sunny-hot windshield.
✌️

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-08-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2024, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,759 Likes on 1,303 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Wait!!! You have a camera heater in a climate that doesn't drop below 200°F any time of the year? What does it keep from working?
Old 07-09-2024, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JettaRed
Wait!!! You have a camera heater in a climate that doesn't drop below 200°F any time of the year? What does it keep from working?
200F

Since this camera heater and the wiper park heater is by glass manufacturer, even tropical country get this standard hardware.
Just like HVAC heater core and its plumbing, every W212 will have it.

I too wonder, at what temperature will the R50 heater be activated ?
Which temperature sensor/s is responsible to detect the temperature ? The A40/11 internally has temperature sensor too, for module temperature.

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 07-09-2024 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Master Surya, we won't let you swallow this pill without having fun.

MFK printed heater array

Another new/used module will hardly be better than you low mileage unit.

Solderless rains stealthy chaos without code until it forces many things to go nuts.
​​​​​​
I have a similar setup with stereoscopic twin camera that both have windshield heater traces

​​​​​​As far as I know this hard load is driven directly through MFK solderless connections. The end result is a defective module.

These pins get oxidized by the condensation on cold surfaces.... just like inside headlights moist air condensation.

The countermeasure is soldering + confirmal coating.

> Instrumentation Fun:
scope the PCB power while exercising the heater output. Should show voltage dropping underload.

> The Real Deal....
It's always surprising to discover what other modules get improved by soldering loose pins.

One module interact with another that goes nuts and brings chaos to a third one (ESP - ECU - TCU).

> Forecast guess....
Look at what sort of PID's are hosted to enumerate partners.
This module is always busy streaming on high speed can.

The engineered poor connections causes network delays and disfunctional partners - See link.

> OYSTER SHELL....
This gem is one of the last major modules I have not fixed. It's assembled by crimping the aluminum heatsink cover all around. Aluminum does not tolerate much bending before breaking up.
I wonder if we can drill new "swiss-cheese" venting holes to keep temps down under sunny-hot windshield.
✌️

Cali, you can't use your car as a baseline prediction for my car
My car electrical integrity and the CAN BUS integrity seems to be better than yours..... he he he he. You still have issue with your N70b1 interior temperature sensor with fan ?

Cali wrote :
> The Real Deal....

I did the power command test to the heater and measure the voltage, and I told you 500 kilo ohms reading on the heater track is way too much, thus module declared OPEN CIRCUIT.

As usual, I investigate deeper. I want to know at how many milliamps or amp/s is the minimum reading the A40/11 must see to declare heater as open circuit.

The test rigging.............

TEST 1
5watts x 1, 5 watts x 2 and/or a buzzer as replacement load for heater strip.
If buzzer alone, load too low, A40/11 module will delcare Open Circuit.

==========

TEST 2
1 of Phillip LED as load substitute of the heater strip, 0.77 watts at 13 volts.

----------

So , I will use this LED as substitute, to prevent annoying DTC.
Will update when properly done.

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 07-09-2024 at 09:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rickman30 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DONE, all good.

This morning is colder than last night.
The resistance of the R50 heater strip is higher, 800ish kilo ohms.

The light beam leak , so I can still see when and if the A40/11 decided to power up the R50 heater.

The LED light sticking to its parking spot using Nano/Magic double side tape, not 3M.

2+ years of this Nano/Magic tape on my friend's W204 alternator LIN connector port to prevent water entry from rain, not bad at all the durability.

That's all for now.....

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 07-10-2024 at 01:00 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
Andre Cateb (07-10-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One more thing....

While Xentry can do full quick scan ( engine OFF, Ignition ON ), it actually does not test everything a 100%.

Perhaps this is because of a few limitations :
01. Some parameters need coolant and calculated engine oil temperature to be within the target limit by Xentry.
02. Some parameters non-engine may need other requirement which can not be fulfilled when engine is OFF or car is not moving.

For R50 heater of A40/11 camera module, I got the DTC of R50 issue because I was playing with the wiper and headlight, on a rather cool day of 25C.
I do not know the actual programming parameter by MB for A40/11 module R50 heater actuation , when it is supposed to be activated ?
I read in the HVAC WIS, that it can predict front windshield fogging. That I remember, but I don't remember the fine details.

What I do know is this :
When doing full scan on a defective R50 heater, no DTC will be produced.
DTC will only be produced when I do the bi-directional actuation of R50 using Xentry, there then the A40/11 module will tell me ( via Xentry ) if it detects Open Circuit or Closed Circuit at R50 heater.
If one of the fault exist because of the actuation I commanded, only then a DTC is produced by A40/11.

So, keep this in mind for other modules too when you are doing full scan.....where it may not be showing a DTC until you actually do bi-directional control to command
actuation/s to components X, Y or Z of that module or that module in its actual operation ( car in use, moving ) have to actuate its downstream components.

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 07-11-2024 at 03:01 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 07-12-2024, 01:18 AM

Received 255 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Correct me if I'm wrong, this is just to eliminate any condensation of windshield in front of the front facing windshield camera and rain sensor?

Have gotten a code for rain sensor over temperature. While it only happens on hottest days, it's always a Stored code. never can catch while code is Current, as it's only found if I plug scanner in. But wonder it is related to this as my Rain sensor is a 3 months old MB part.

Replaced because of Current internal ground to positive code.
S-Prihadi (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rickman30
Correct me if I'm wrong, this is just to eliminate any condensation of windshield in front of the front facing windshield camera and rain sensor?
I am sure that is the intended design, but we can use wiper for that...right ? External condensation.
Or if the condensation is internal to cabin side windshield, I guess heater is the only medicine.
Or maybe in real cold condition, there will be thin ice or something on the windshield outside ?
Sorry me tropical guy, so 4AM morning dew is as cold as I can experienced , but I know those cold lines is irritating to see even with wipers running.

Have gotten a code for rain sensor over temperature. While it only happens on hottest days, it's always a Stored code. never can catch while code is Current, as it's only found if I plug scanner in. But wonder it is related to this as my Rain sensor is a 3 months old MB part. Over temperature warning, that is good news , at least we know the module has monitoring system. Thanks for the info.

Replaced because of Current internal ground to positive code.

One thing about black color object facing the sun, it can hit 75C / 167F easy.
I once had a cheap aftermarket RPM gauge mounted on top of my instrument clusetr, and the sun actually deformed it when I parked a whole morning to 3PM on the beach, I went fishing. It was a hot day. That car has zero tinting.
My two suction cups holder for my phone and the Banks Gauge in my E400, when I parked in too hot a sun, a mere 2 hours, they both lost its suction on the windshield and drop to the ground...dugghh.

The lenses on the Rain and Light sensor is a light collector I suppose.
You know camera CMOS sensor, do get damaged when one does time-lapsed for the sun rise or sun down, or worse mid noon time lapsed of nature with sun in it.
We call it sensor burn. I used to play with GoPro cameras a lot. This could be the reason for early death of all windshield based ADAS assist camera and the Rain-Light sensor.

Sensor burn. When this happen, all videos made with this sensor will have that yellow sun damaged line.

Rickman30 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 02:31 AM

Received 255 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Thanks, makes sense when put like that. I’m familiar with sensors like that getting burned.