E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Valve Stem Leak, but not TMPS Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S212 E350 4Matic
Valve Stem Leak, but not TMPS Sensor

I've had a slow leak in my passenger rear tire for about a week, losing approximately 2-3psi a day. Using soapy water, I figured out it is not apart of the tire but instead the valve stem system. Looking online all I found were videos of the entire TMPS sensor replacement, but from my diagnosis, I believe I only need a valve stem. The valve stem on the car currently is a metal component and not rubber. My tire pressure sensor has been working and is accurate. Has anyone had experience with this issue and what is the best path I should go through? If I try to work on it at home, can I keep the tire on and replace the stem while keeping the sensor activated? Looking at the photo below makes me think no. I have access to a service department where the tire could be removed, is it just an easy swap where any shop could do it?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...-0004001000#qa
Looking in the comments here, someone has had a similar issue, but if someone could clarify a little more it would be much appreciated

Old 07-25-2024, 09:40 PM

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
The tire will need to be removed from the wheel and also the valve stem with the TPMS module attached. Then attach the existing module to the new tire stem and reinsert it into the wheel.The sensor will not de-activate because it is removed from the stem. It may be possible to do this without removing the tire altogether, but presumably, you will have a tire machine that makes removing the tire quite easy.

If you have a Discount tire store or Americas tire store near you (any tire shop), they can do this easily at a reasonable cost. I wouldn't try to do this myself.

Last edited by Sunnyslope48; 07-25-2024 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NickTehBoss (07-26-2024)