E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Trade in process for used car when when special ordering a new Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E Wagon, 1984 911, 2017 E wagon
Trade in process for used car when when special ordering a new Mercedes

We will be ordering a 2017 Mercedes E wagon. Previously we have given our used cars to our children when ordering a new car. This will be our first time ordering a new car and attempting to negotiating a price for a trade in.
One dealer told us to order the car and when it arrives they will make us an offer for our car.
I am wondering what suggestions the people reading this website have utilized when trading in a used car and ordering a new car from the factory?
When signing a purchase order for a special order has anyone been successful in getting the dealership to agree on a price for the trade in when the special order arrives? Did you turn in the trade in at the time the purchase order was signed for a deduction off the purchase price? What has worked for you.
I realized this is all part of the negotiating process. Please inform me what was successful for you? Thank you.
James Hood
Old 07-31-2016, 05:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by jamesmhood
We will be ordering a 2017 Mercedes E wagon. Previously we have given our used cars to our children when ordering a new car. This will be our first time ordering a new car and attempting to negotiating a price for a trade in.
One dealer told us to order the car and when it arrives they will make us an offer for our car.
I am wondering what suggestions the people reading this website have utilized when trading in a used car and ordering a new car from the factory?
When signing a purchase order for a special order has anyone been successful in getting the dealership to agree on a price for the trade in when the special order arrives? Did you turn in the trade in at the time the purchase order was signed for a deduction off the purchase price? What has worked for you.
I realized this is all part of the negotiating process. Please inform me what was successful for you? Thank you.
James Hood
You can wait but the market for your used car may be better or worse when they assess on day your new car is arrived

If you like the price today, can you trade in your car today? Some dealers will do this; problem becomes when something happens and the deal doesn't go down you are out of a car

I have traded when the car arrived and used it against the new car tax. Also they would not commit to value for trade in since the market changes but I did tell them if they dropped more than $500 for my cars trade in value I would walk away from the deal and they did keep the same price ultimately for my trade in
Old 07-31-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
soon to be E300
I've never traded in a vehicle for a new vehicle but in my opinion they're going to completely underestimate the vehicle. Our dealer wanted $3,000 for a deposit to order the vehicle, assuming they'll keep the money if you don't buy from them, they hold all the cards. They can lowball you and if you walk they keep your deposit, or you buy and they rip you off on the trade. I wouldn't do anything without a guarantee of the purchase price, or be in the position to purchase without trading in your car.

I almost bought a new Porsche Macan when they came out last year and they said the turbo would take 3-6 months before it was available. Their solution for me was to buy a used Cayanne and drive it for a year, then trade it in on the new one. Which sounded great until they wouldn't guarantee any trade in pricing until i pickup. We definitely walked and bought another vehicle.

In my experience dealers do whatever they can to make the most money. Unless you trust the dealer and have bought multiple vehicles before I wouldn't risk it. You could also go to a few other dealers like Carmax and get a price for your vehicle or something just so you have a backup plan.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I'm in the same boat. I plan on buying an e class in the fall and would like to trade my 2012 ml350, however, there is no way they will give me what I want for it. There is also no way they will have the car outfitted like I want on the lot. So, I will order and buy the e class outright making the best deal I can without trade and then try my best to sell the ml myself for what I hope to be a better price than I would have received from the dealer. If you have the money available, that may be the best way to go about it.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Peteruber thank you. I agree that trading the used car in when the purchase order is signed probably makes the most sense. I can try to sell the car before I sign the purchase order, and if it doesn't sell get the best price when ordering the car
Old 08-01-2016, 12:45 PM

Thank you justinm001. I agree most Mercedes dealers will not offer a fair price for a trade in. I had a very bad experience with a Mercedes dealer.
My experience with a dealer from whom I ordered 2 cars was not good. I brought in our 2008 Mercedes wagon for service. The dealer performed a lot of service on the car and took it on a test drive. He hit a deer and totaled the car. The dealer had offered $8000 for a trade in when ordering a new car. I deceided to keep the 2008 wagon and pay for the $3800 in maintenance. State Farm paid me $16000 for the same car the dealer had offered $8000. The dealer tried to get me to pay $3800 for the car they totaled. It was a very bad experience.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 PM

Thank you shortspark. I also plan on trying to sell the car, and if unable, use it as trade in when the purchase order is signed.
Previously I have dealt with a local dealer in the state where we live. There are very few dealers in our State due to the low population. Chicago is within driving distance. It looks like there are at least 6 dealers in the Chicao area. With competition between the dealers maybe I can work out a better deal.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:46 PM

2017 CLS550
James, I had to go to the "Big City" too (Dallas) to buy my ML because the local dealer was the only one for over a hundred miles from me, hence, they did not deal much. The problem I have is that this is my only car. If I trade it in when the purchase order is signed they will probably want the car right then, not a couple months later when my new car arrives. I'm not sure how that works but I would want it now if I were the dealer.

The other problem I have is that because I live in the sticks where most people drive pick up trucks, the market for MB is fairly small. You just don't see people around here driving a Benz so my chance of selling it at a good price is not as great as if I were in a market with millions of people. Not sure what I'll do but it will work out.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 PM

Shortspark we use to buy Volvo cars. There is a Volvo dealer in a town near where we live. About 30 years ago we wanted to buy our first Volvo. This was before the Internet and without any other dealer it was difficult to figure out the price. This local dealer did not put the manufacturer's price on the car!s window. The dealer gave a price for a new car with 5000 miles. We drove to Chicago and purchased a new Volvo without any miles for $5000 less than the used Volvo. The local dealer actually called me on the phone and was upset that I didn't buy from his dealership.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:23 PM

2017 CLS550
You are lucky, my nearest Volvo dealer is over 100 miles away. I wish one was closer because the S90 is one sedan I would have considered. In fact, there are a few cars I would like to have considered but the dealers are too far from me. The new Lincoln Continental Black Label, Jaguar XF, Volvo, Audi and Lexus - all over 100 miles away. I would love to cross shop these and compare them to the E class but I'm not buying a car where the nearest mechanic who can service it is 100 miles from me. MB is 35 miles down the road and they have a really good service department. I buy the cars in Dallas where I get a better deal and have them serviced locally. I have no choice although I would love to buy from the same place that does the service. The only luxury brands I have local access to are BMW and Mercedes.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Negotiate the price of the S213 without the trade.

When the S213 arrives, arm yourself with realistic values for your current car. I'm guessing your trade-in is not an MB which means they'll wholesale it to another dealer or run it through auction, so don't expect to get AutoTrader values! Subtract 2-3k from retail value assuming great condition and no outstanding maintenance or previous accidents.

Within reason, the dealer wants to sell you the S213, not have it sit on their back lot (S213 is not exactly a hot seller). If you approach it this way, it should be a fair transaction for all parties.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:14 PM

YYZ-E55 Thank you for your input. Actually the trade in is a 2013 ML 4 matic with off road package, and 65000 miles. It is in excellent condition and has a 3 year/50000 extended package.
Your point is excellent that the dealer will attempt to get the best deal as possible. I may try to sell itmyself, and if unsuccessful talk to several dealers. We are within driving distance of Chicago where there are several dealers.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 783 Likes on 503 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by shortspark
The other problem I have is that because I live in the sticks where most people drive pick up trucks, the market for MB is fairly small. You just don't see people around here driving a Benz so my chance of selling it at a good price is not as great as if I were in a market with millions of people. Not sure what I'll do but it will work out.
I sold my last 4 cars (2012 BMW 550i, 2013 BMW M5, 2014 BMW M5 and 2015 Jaguar F Type R). All to out of state buyers. Location matters less if you have the right car. The reason my cars attracted out of state buyers is because they were all configured with high level of options and special order paint or leather.

I don't think where you live matters as long as you have a good car and you advertise it on national media like autotrader and the car forums.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:41 AM

2017 CLS550
Good idea stealthpilot. I was just thinking craigslist but something reaching out farther might be the way to go.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 783 Likes on 503 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by shortspark
Good idea stealthpilot. I was just thinking craigslist but something reaching out farther might be the way to go.
Go for it. A car like yours should sell quick on auto trader.

Also of that doesn't work look into vroom. They tend to outbid the dealer trade in.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 801 Likes on 633 Posts
You need a better dealer! My dealer has never asked me for a deposit when ordering a vehicle. They also let me drive a car from their loaner fleet while awaiting the new car - typically 4 to 6 weeks. They have many orders in the pipeline that can be modified for options. It is weeks quicker than starting a completely new order. The competition is keen here with 4 Mercedes dealers in the town and another array of dealers 50 miles out.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
s550 e 320
Originally Posted by ua549
You need a better dealer! My dealer has never asked me for a deposit when ordering a vehicle. They also let me drive a car from their loaner fleet while awaiting the new car - typically 4 to 6 weeks. They have many orders in the pipeline that can be modified for options. It is weeks quicker than starting a completely new order. The competition is keen here with 4 Mercedes dealers in the town and another array of dealers 50 miles out.
I took my e 320 to carfax and got their typical lowball offer even though car was mint 2001 with 48000 miles. Then posted with a couple pictures on carguru at a fair asking price and had three offers at full price in two days. Better than autotrafet I think
Old 08-26-2016, 01:43 PM

Stealth.pilot, ua549, and pv Rick--Great ideas. I will try to get a loaner from the dealer.
I have never sold a car on the Internet. How does the the process work? Which websites work the best? If the buyer is out of state how is the car and money transferred?
Thank you for your assistance.
James Hood
Old 12-27-2016, 03:18 AM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
There are trucking web sites for bidding personal automobile shipment. An 18 wheeler comes to near your place and they drive it on. New owner pays on arrival. Bank wire transfer is the way to go on payment, and have your bank confirm the wire.

I think I would try local first. Even Craig's List in a major metro area will shake cash buyers out of the wood work. Our previous Benz happened to be six years old with only 25k on it. We got $5,200 more than the dealer had offered, because someone recognized the value of a low mile car. They wired the money to our bank, we signed over the pink, held the car two days to confirm payment was legit from our bank.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Many people have had surprisingly high numbers from Carmax. Selling a car privately takes time and weeding out the tire kickers who are frustrating (to me).

Also, in some states there is a sales tax advantage to trading your car to the dealer that helps mitigate the delta.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by justinm001
I've never traded in a vehicle for a new vehicle but in my opinion they're going to completely underestimate the vehicle. Our dealer wanted $3,000 for a deposit to order the vehicle, assuming they'll keep the money if you don't buy from them, they hold all the cards. They can lowball you and if you walk they keep your deposit, or you buy and they rip you off on the trade. I wouldn't do anything without a guarantee of the purchase price, or be in the position to purchase without trading in your car.

I almost bought a new Porsche Macan when they came out last year and they said the turbo would take 3-6 months before it was available. Their solution for me was to buy a used Cayanne and drive it for a year, then trade it in on the new one. Which sounded great until they wouldn't guarantee any trade in pricing until i pickup. We definitely walked and bought another vehicle.

In my experience dealers do whatever they can to make the most money. Unless you trust the dealer and have bought multiple vehicles before I wouldn't risk it. You could also go to a few other dealers like Carmax and get a price for your vehicle or something just so you have a backup plan.
All true, however selling a car on the market can be excruciating. The trade-in is easy. At most, the difference, on a good day, will be a couple of thousand dollars. I prefer the convenience of the dealer trade. Go in, drop it off, and drive off with your new car. The car max thing is not a bad idea but I would not count on it.
I had a very good experience selling a used car on KBB (Kelley Blue Book) used car service, there dealers instantly bid on your car. In a single day I walked off with 23K for a 10 year old S2k with a hard top.