E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Am I the only E300 owner who's extremely disappointed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I use navigate to home frequently. "Home" is the closest major intersection to where I actually reside. I have no fear of a thief stealing my car because it is well protected electronically. A thief prefers easy to steal no skill required Japanese models.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
You will find a home setting in the nav, it's under favorites.

I really don't understand people's reluctance to set it to their home. Fair enough if you lose your keys a thief could go straight to your home and gain entry but you know what, thieves are lazy and frequently stupid so behaviour like that is a rarity not the norm. Same with car jackers, much more likely they want the car not what's in your home; more risk travelling to your home compared to a smash and grab.

And very few modern cars get stolen without keys these days, certainly in the UK the normal crime pattern is to break in to the home to obtain the keys to a car NOT the other way round! Stop worrying about stuff that doesn't happen.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe
Put me currently in the disappointed column:

I've had "Harzard Warning Flashers Malfunctioning" pop up three times, now. Service says they have never seen this warning message. The first time they thought it was fixed with a software update. The second time they thought it was fixed with a sensor replacement. Don't know what they will try this time.

A rattle in the upper console. They couldn't find it but knew it was their so they replaced the entire console (the one that controls the sunroof).

My infotainment console is waaaay to slow between screens. Lags horribly. They said that's how they all are.

All four tires lost air together. They blamed it on a cold snap here in Houston, TX. Houston??? Cold snap???

I now have a rattle somewhere behind the glove box.

I can't open the trunk with placing my foot under the bumper. Never opens this way, but I can close it this way.

The hood and trunk have large swirl scratches in the clear coat. I told the salesman when I bought it and he said it was nothing and had them buff it out. Of course, when I had it washed they came back.

Don't get me started on the music system. Sounds great. That's about it. Miss the keypad of numbers for quick favorites switching because the system is so slow. And why. WHY must mp3 files have to "phone GraceNote" for mp3 tag information (which is sometimes wrong). That's why plugging in an USB stick takes so dang long to load. It phones GraceNote's servers and reads all files and guesses what album it is. Put in a mix tape and it lists as many albums as there are songs in album view. How stupid is this. It only needs mp3 tag reading capabilities. If the car doesn't have a CD player, it doesn't need to get track information for a server!!!

My 2015 E350 drove so much better than this 2017 E. This thing porpoises on bumpy roads. I've been given a 2016 E the last two times it has been in the shop and I fall back in love with how the car drives. I'm thinking the car I test drove was different from this one. I need to test drive a different 2017E because I think my shocks are trash on this new one for some reason.

I have no confidence in this car. It is my third E. My 2005 was my first E. My 2015 was awesome. Never an issue. Sadly, I leased it and the lease was up.

I told my salesman I am giving them one more try at fixing this car. I have no confidence in driving it. He said don't complain to the dealer, press the MBrace button, talk to them and have them start the process. This would be the best way, he says...

Love the car, though. Just not this one. The 'old E' seems so dated without that beautiful wide screen! I bought in late Jan 2017 and don't drive a lot so they might grow tired of me and switch this electrical lemon out!

Last edited by RickInHouston; 03-25-2017 at 05:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Originally Posted by RickInHouston

I've had "Harzard Warning Flashers Malfunctioning" pop up three times, now. Service says they have never seen this warning message. The first time they thought it was fixed with a software update. The second time they thought it was fixed with a sensor replacement. Don't know what they will try this time.

A rattle in the upper console. They couldn't find it but knew it was their so they replaced the entire console (the one that controls the sunroof).

My infotainment console is waaaay to slow between screens. Lags horribly. They said that's how they all are.

All four tires lost air together. They blamed it on a cold snap here in Houston, TX. Houston??? Cold snap???

I can't open the trunk with placing my foot under the bumper. Never opens this way, but I can close it this way.

The hood and trunk have large swirl scratches in the clear coat. I told the salesman when I bought it and he said it was nothing and had them buff it out. Of course, when I had it washed they came back.

Don't get me started on the music system. Sounds great. That's about it. Miss the keypad of numbers for quick favorites switching because the system is so slow. And why. WHY must mp3 files have to "phone GraceNote" for mp3 tag information (which is sometimes wrong). That's why plugging in an USB stick takes so dang long to load. It phones GraceNote's servers and reads all files and guesses what album it is. Put in a mix tape and it lists as many albums as there are songs in album view. How stupid is this. It only needs mp3 tag reading capabilities. If the car doesn't have a CD player, it doesn't need to get track information for a server!!!

My 2015 E350 drove so much better than this 2017 E. This thing porpoises on bumpy roads. I've been given a 2016 E the last two times it has been in the shop and I fall back in love with how the car drives. I'm thinking the car I test drove was different from this one. I need to test drive a different 2017E because I think my shocks are trash on this new one for some reason.

I have no confidence in this car. It is my third E. My 2005 was my first E. My 2015 was awesome. Never an issue. Sadly, I leased it and the lease was up.

I told my salesman I am giving them one more try at fixing this car. I have no confidence in driving it. He said don't complain to the dealer, press the MBrace button, talk to them and have them start the process. This would be the best way, he says...

Love the car, though. Just not this one. The 'old E' seems so dated without that beautiful wide screen! I bought in late Jan 2017 and don't drive a lot so they might grow tired of me and switch this electrical lemon out!
Welcome to your new Honda accord! Ive had the same issues as you, the rattle on top of dash board, rattle in drivers door or B pillar still have to get it fixed. The harsh ride is due to the crappy run flat tires, the car drives like a garbage truck! I also miss the radio buttons, now you cant press # and go to any other radio station quickly, the navigation sucks in giving reasonable directions! Have you also noticed the smaller windows around compared to the W212?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe

Wow! What a horror show of problems. You have more patience than I would have for this list of on-going problems. Hell of a trade-off just to get the upgraded console screens.
​​​
Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
If NJ has a lemon law, use it.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
I've let the dealership know I want to return this car. I'd like to swap it out for similar year, and model and features. Not looking to walk away from them.

I've started a new thread about what it's like to return a car.

It is being reviewed by moderators before posting.

Curious, though. My salesman said to push the MBrace button and have them start a ticket into investigating the car. I told him I wanted to sit down with the owner of the dealership and he said, "No, no no. You don't want to do that!" Let Mercedes know directly. Wow. Wasn't expecting that response. You buy a car and they don't stand behind it.

And just so everyone knows - I'm a passive aggressive guy. I'm a kill them with kindness sort of guy, but I just may need to shed my skin on this one.

Last edited by RickInHouston; 03-27-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
Thanks - hope your thread makes it, as we are thinking about trying to return our GLC too.

I've let the dealership know I want to return this car. I'd like to swap it out for similar year, and model and features. Not looking to walk away from them.

I've started a new thread about what it's like to return a car.

It is being reviewed by moderators before posting.

Curious, though. My salesman said to push the MBrace button and have them start a ticket into investigating the car. I told him I wanted to sit down with the owner of the dealership and he said, "No, no no. You don't want to do that!" Let Mercedes know directly. Wow. Wasn't expecting that response. You buy a car and they don't stand behind it.

And just so everyone knows - I'm a passive aggressive guy. I'm a kill them with kindness sort of guy, but I just may need to shed my skin on this one.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by DBV
Thanks - hope your thread makes it, as we are thinking about trying to return our GLC too.
What's wrong with your glc? The dangers of new model year. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe (previous), 2016 C450 AMG Sport (previous), 2020 GLE450 (previous), 2021 S580 (now)
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
You will find a home setting in the nav, it's under favorites.

I really don't understand people's reluctance to set it to their home. Fair enough if you lose your keys a thief could go straight to your home and gain entry but you know what, thieves are lazy and frequently stupid so behaviour like that is a rarity not the norm. Same with car jackers, much more likely they want the car not what's in your home; more risk travelling to your home compared to a smash and grab.

And very few modern cars get stolen without keys these days, certainly in the UK the normal crime pattern is to break in to the home to obtain the keys to a car NOT the other way round! Stop worrying about stuff that doesn't happen.

I can understand why some people would be reluctant to store their Home address in their vehicle's nav system. However, in the US at least, nearly every driver keeps their insurance card and registration card somewhere within their vehicles, both of which display the driver's full home address, so choosing to not save their address in the nav system would be kind of pointless in most cases.

A happy medium is to store your Home address into the nav system, but only with the street name and without the actual house/building number.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:14 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by ua549
You should transfer your CD stuff to a solid state drive (SSD). There are USB drives that are large enough to hold your entire collection uncompressed. FLAC is a lossless compression method. I don't know if the high end Burmester for Mercedes can play it. It should. I put my collection on my home server and simply transfer playlists to a small USB drives as desired. I keep them in the console. They are easily transferred between cars.
How is your search function when you are accessing your personal playlists? Are you only using 'folder' view?

$60K car sound system can't play flac. Can't play gapless. Can't read mp3 tags and must 'call' GraceNote's servers to read amount of tracks in an album, length of each song - then GUESS what album it is. (That's why the head unit is so slooooow when you plug in a USB drive. If you mix your own digital collection music (think 80's mix tape) - good luck. Sometimes, I mean sometimes, it will read tags. It should default to reading mp3 tags because WHY rip to .wav. High bitrate mp3 is more than good enough.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I use apple lossless. No issues and the metadata is imbedded. Can also use aiff.

Last edited by dieseldoc; 03-30-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Hi

I read like 3 pages only. I am shopping for a new luxury car, We have the 2003 E320 and 2104ML350, we love both. I WAS really looking forward to the new E300....until it comes out with a 4 cylinder. To top it off, all the autonomous self driving stuffs. I have been sitting on the side line for months and I just can't go buy the E300. I have a few questions here since this is not one of those "I love my new car" thread!!!

Is the 4 cylinder reliable enough? I heard the new C has a lot of problem. The tow driver told me he towed a lot of the new C, not the last model. That is a big red flag for me as it's the same engine.

I am going to get the most basic luxury model with smaller rim and ABSOLUTELY no active assistance of any sort, no self parking, self breaking, lane departure steering of any sort. I don't want to even experience what Stephen had. Any problem with the most basic model? If I have to, I will even forgo the rear view camera just to stay with the most basic electronics.

I was an EE for a long time, I know how computer and freeze, hacked, the last thing I want is a car with a mind of it's own. I am very unhappy even with the air conditioning of the ML. It tries to think for me, if I set the thermostat low, even if I turn off the air, IT WILL NOT TURN OFF until I keep cranking the thermostat to high for a while. I took it back twice and they checked it over and over and told me that's how it is!!!

I am desperate, The 2003 MB is starting to fail, I don't have a car to buy!!! Audi A6 is going to change soon, Lexus LS is not out and the styling is highly questionable. BMW is NOT reliable. I am holding my money and crying out loud!!! I am deadly serious. We just paid $400 to tow the E320 and $1100 to change the fuel pump!!!

If a car die on the road, I don't care you have 10 spare cars at home, you still stuck on the road!!!!

Last edited by Alan0354; 04-01-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by Alan0354
Hi

I read like 3 pages only. I am shopping for a new luxury car, We have the 2003 E320 and 2104ML350, we love both. I WAS really looking forward to the new E300....until it comes out with a 4 cylinder. To top it off, all the autonomous self driving stuffs. I have been sitting on the side line for months and I just can't go buy the E300. I have a few questions here since this is not one of those "I love my new car" thread!!!

Is the 4 cylinder reliable enough? I heard the new C has a lot of problem. The tow driver told me he towed a lot of the new C, not the last model. That is a big red flag for me as it's the same engine.

I am going to get the most basic luxury model with smaller rim and ABSOLUTELY no active assistance of any sort, no self parking, self breaking, lane departure steering of any sort. I don't want to even experience what Stephen had. Any problem with the most basic model? If I have to, I will even forgo the rear view camera just to stay with the most basic electronics.

I was an EE for a long time, I know how computer and freeze, hacked, the last thing I want is a car with a mind of it's own. I am very unhappy even with the air conditioning of the ML. It tries to think for me, if I set the thermostat low, even if I turn off the air, IT WILL NOT TURN OFF until I keep cranking the thermostat to high for a while. I took it back twice and they checked it over and over and told me that's how it is!!!

I am desperate, The 2003 MB is starting to fail, I don't have a car to buy!!! Audi A6 is going to change soon, Lexus LS is not out and the styling is highly questionable. BMW is NOT reliable. I am holding my money and crying out loud!!! I am deadly serious. We just paid $400 to tow the E320 and $1100 to change the fuel pump!!!

If a car die on the road, I don't care you have 10 spare cars at home, you still stuck on the road!!!!
I was recently in your position of needing a car and wasn't happy with e300 or the value proposition of the e43. Started to shop 2015 cpo Audi s8, $125,000 cars trading at around $75,000, a bunch around coming off 2 year leases and trading at a discount with new a8 out this year. A full size luxury super car at a reasonable price. S8 has 520hp v8, late model 2016 s8 plus 605hp! Beasts. Regards. Ned.
Alan0354 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 01:16 AM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by ngerstman
I was recently in your position of needing a car and wasn't happy with e300 or the value proposition of the e43. Started to shop 2015 cpo Audi s8, $125,000 cars trading at around $75,000, a bunch around coming off 2 year leases and trading at a discount with new a8 out this year. A full size luxury super car at a reasonable price. S8 has 520hp v8, late model 2016 s8 plus 605hp! Beasts. Regards. Ned.
I would have done that, me and my wife take turn in choosing cars, I chose the ML350 less than 3 years ago, this is her turn. She insists on a new car.

Actually it's good news, when we went out to dinner, I told her about this thread and talked about she is out of option, she's willing to look into a SUV that is more car like, not the boxy type like the ML. That open a whole new door. I showed her the Porche Mecan and she like the looks as it look more like her very old Honda Accord she had back in the late 70s. She think she can like it. So we might go out and test that. Porche seems to be quite reliable from what I read and also being a more sporty car, they tend not to have all the autonomous "crap" for the lack of better word.

To me, even if it works flawlessly, the idea it can be hacked scares me already. Hackers really can demand ransom by taking over your car with a computer. If this can be avoided, there would not be so many virus, anti virus programs around. Difference is with a computer, worst is to just dump the computer, this is your life on the road!!! I never understand why people even get excited about autonomous car.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:23 AM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
I wonder how's the sales of this E300. I emailed to the dealers and they are very eager to sale me one even late last year. I wonder whether people are also turn off like me about the 4 cylinder and the autonomous stuffs. Mercedes was so proud about those autonomous stuffs when the E300 first came out, the only word came out of my mouth was "Oh NO!!!"
Old 04-02-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
I wonder how's the sales of this E300. I emailed to the dealers and they are very eager to sale me one even late last year. I wonder whether people are also turn off like me about the 4 cylinder and the autonomous stuffs. Mercedes was so proud about those autonomous stuffs when the E300 first came out, the only word came out of my mouth was "Oh NO!!!"
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/company/porsche-car-technique-autonomous-driving-12908.html

Best get that new car order in quickly! And this will very likely be the last ever new car you will buy if you don't want any level of automation, unless you buy a 10,000 dollar econobox or an out and out supercar. It's the future, it's not going to stop filtering down on to every mainstream model on the road and i personally look forward to it. Benefits of totally autonomous cars on already packed highways to me far outweighs any worries about hacking.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Soon: 2017 E300 4Matic
I've only had the car a few days but so far I'm extremely happy with the autonomous features. There's a lot of stop and go where I live, so being able to make that experience less stressful (and throw on those massaging seats) has been fantastic.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:32 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Though it was about fifty posts ago... The Command does not support flac files.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
Im not really sure why the autonomous stuff would prevent someone from buying it. It can be turned off...

I for one love it and use my drive pilot almost every day. Wouldn't buy another car without it
salemraucher (04-02-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 02:16 AM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by joshg1001
Im not really sure why the autonomous stuff would prevent someone from buying it. It can be turned off...

I for one love it and use my drive pilot almost every day. Wouldn't buy another car without it
If it is just that simple, unless you have a hard wired switch that literally turn off the power source to the control, it's never turn off. Look at the smart tv can turn on and monitor you at home. Computer is limitless and be programmed by user/hackers.

Why? Ask the one that got killed in the Tesla. Ask the Volvo of Uber when it got hit. It's one thing to just lane keep and stay on the road, keep distance from the car in front. When others make mistake and got in your way, can the autonomous able to react by avoid the accident? I bet the Volvo just minding it's own business, stay in it's merry lane when the other car hit it.

Cars have been hacked and ransom had been demanded already. I have been in high tech, designing high tech. This does not excite me a bit, I've seen enough high tech.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
W213 E200
Though it was about fifty posts ago... The Command does not support flac files.
And on 1st page people state it does..
Old 04-03-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Just bought new 2017 E400 coupe over the weekend. Dealer gave me 10K off MSRP. Having problem with Homelink, tried it several times with no avail. I have done easily 5 cars in the past with no issues. Have issues to save Sirius stations. Again, never have problem with others cars in the past including the current Porsche. Like the thread starter stated, changing radio stations is complicated. MB is making their electronics not user friendly like Japanese cars. MB, like other German makes, tries to reinvent the wheel with their electronics rather than copy what's already out there. Hope I don't have other issues. The car handles and stops great with the Sport package.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:05 PM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
Just bought new 2017 E400 coupe over the weekend. Dealer gave me 10K off MSRP. Having problem with Homelink, tried it several times with no avail. I have done easily 5 cars in the past with no issues. Have issues to save Sirius stations. Again, never have problem with others cars in the past including the current Porsche. Like the thread starter stated, changing radio stations is complicated. MB is making their electronics not user friendly like Japanese cars. MB, like other German makes, tries to reinvent the wheel with their electronics rather than copy what's already out there. Hope I don't have other issues. The car handles and stops great with the Sport package.
I suspect all along they are not selling that well. Not the best looking car, it's the third and last of that particular look and you know the next S will come out in 3 years with a new body style and make this look old. The 4 cylinder is a big turn off, then the autonomous stuffs.

I was in high tech designing all sort of computerized electronics, it's just normal to roll out products that still not fully debugged. They have you guys running the field trial!!!

How many blue screen you have with computers, with computers, you just push and hold the power button to turn it off and start over again. What are you going to do if you in the middle of the road if the car gives you a "blue screen"? You really think somehow they know better in designing the computer in the cars?

I am glad my wife is open to the Porche Mecan. It is scary after the tow driver told us that they towed a lot of the new generation C class are all computer and electronics problems. It might be a simple glitch, but if it happens on the road, you still get stuck, you still have to be embarrassed sitting in a brand spanking new MERCEDES on the side of the freeway. The tow driver told us, the older C (the one before the current one) are ok.

Last edited by Alan0354; 04-03-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
I suspect all along they are not selling that well. Not the best looking car, it's the third and last of that particular look and you know the next S will come out in 3 years with a new body style and make this look old. The 4 cylinder is a big turn off, then the autonomous stuffs.
I like the look of the E Coupe. I would not have bought it if I did not like the look. Most E owners know that the new E is coming out in the summer. That's the reason for the big discount, not because it's not selling!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I the only E300 owner who's extremely disappointed?