E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Auto-Pilot Updates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 E300 Sport
Auto-Pilot Updates?

Does anyone have a good handle on what can be expected in terms of software updates for the E300 post-purchase? Can we expect the auto-pilot functionality to improve or get additional features? The official MB video below talks about additional features not currently available and my sales guy at MB says a software update will "unlock more goodies as soon as regulations permit."

Last edited by Sunrose305; 12-26-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
I highly doubt they will do any post purchase software updates. This was really only a tesla thing, and is more attuned to a tech company than an automotive company. The service department barely wants to update anything for you, such as any COMAND or transmission software...
Old 12-27-2016, 02:12 AM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
The W213 Drive Assist systems are level 3 and 4 ready. The firmware could be upgraded, if MB stays with this specific plan form, specifically, the component parts and processor(s). But, essentially, other than minor internal tweaks, firmware upgrades are not the bottle neck. The problem is building up the navigation databases and establishing near real-time data transfers to maintain an accurate description of the road details. This information is necessary to develop a fail-safe logic for autonomous guidance.

The other issue is how long this specific hardware/firmware will be in production. My guess is the hardware layout has perhaps four years, maybe five years to run, (as did the previous S class/E class setups). This is the big question, and the technology is evolving quickly. So, it is difficult to predict how long lived and how much development will occur before a new set of hardware and firmware is implemented.

The real issue with updates to level 3 is not the hardware on the car, but the incomplete meta-data sets for the roads. A level 3 or 4 achievement will consist of big data, cloud computing feeding the autonomous driving vehicle, perhaps not real time, but I think real time will be essential to level 4. So, we wait.

When meta-data is widely established, upgrading the program logic (such as, 'yes, the line guidance on the right side is gone, but this is an off ramp, keep going straight per navigation instructions.') will be possible. This would also entail allowing tighter turn radios tracking and other not yet consistently working features.

This is a pretty complex subject to just explain away in a couple paragraphs, but I hope I have given the gist of what needs to happen globally, before we really worry much about firmware updates to the existing, on-car system.
The following users liked this post:
Sunrose305 (12-27-2016)