E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Issues with iHeart radio and at the gas pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 04:59 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E300 P03
Issues with iHeart radio and at the gas pump

I'd like to get some comments on these 2 issues before calling my SA.
  1. Half of the time, MB App will show the error "No network available". Mbrace blames the problem on the Internet service provider, Verizon, and said they have no control over the connection's performance. The signal status in my E300 showed 4 bars and my Verizon cell phone worked fine during these failures. When the connection is available, the iHeart app often shows a blank screen. Tune In works with better reliability than iHeart.
  2. Regardless of the gas station that I use (76, Chevron, Shell, etc...), the refueling process is a PIA. I insert the nozzle, squeeze the release handle, engage the self locking hook or lever, after a few seconds, the the pumping stops and the handle pops off automatically. I'd try a few more times, sometime up to a dozen attempts, before the pump stays put and finishes the fill up. My wife has the same experience.
I thought I'd get some info first to avoid getting the run around with my SA.

Regards,
Old 01-02-2017, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 393 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by ADD0514
  1. Half of the time, MB App will show the error "No network available". Mbrace blames the problem on the Internet service provider, Verizon, and said they have no control over the connection's performance. The signal status in my E300 showed 4 bars and my Verizon cell phone worked fine during these failures. When the connection is available, the iHeart app often shows a blank screen. Tune In works with better reliability than iHeart.
  2. Regardless of the gas station that I use (76, Chevron, Shell, etc...), the refueling process is a PIA. I insert the nozzle, squeeze the release handle, engage the self locking hook or lever, after a few seconds, the the pumping stops and the handle pops off automatically. I'd try a few more times, sometime up to a dozen attempts, before the pump stays put and finishes the fill up. My wife has the same experience.

Regards,
I have experienced a similar issue with the iTunes app. Half the time when I start up the car and try to select iTunes, the selection is grayed out. The only way to gain access is for me is to go to the System menu and check for the Internet connectivity (which has always been indicated as there). I then can go back to the Radio menu and select iTunes. At other times I get a similar message as you are experiencing. I believe that the issue is Verizon who is providing the proxy server for Mbrace. I saw a post in which the capacity of the system was to be increased on January 1.

I have not experienced early gas pump shutoff when fueling. I wonder if the venting for the gas tank is constricted. What state are you located?

Last edited by HBerman; 01-02-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 212 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
I have the gas pump shutoff issue - you basically have to stand there and hold the nozzle to make sure it pumps gas into the tank. Figured it was just the design of the filler neck and not something that could be fixed...
Old 01-02-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 E 300, Toyota Land Cruiser
We have had the gas filler problem happen once but we've only filled up three or four times. The internet radio appears to be hit or miss. Sometimes we get Tune in but I heart has never appeared as an option on our system. I called Mbrace and they were no help at all. They suggested accessing it through the browser. Also get message about network availability when system shows 3 or 4 bars and Verizon cellphone works fine. When it works, Tune in is pretty nice.

Joe
Old 01-02-2017, 03:02 PM

E300 P03
Originally Posted by HBerman
I saw a post in which the capacity of the system was to be increased on January 1.

I have not experienced early gas pump shutoff when fueling. I wonder if the venting for the gas tank is constricted. What state are you located?
I appreciate the comment. I'm in California.
I've seen messages here mentioning that MB has been blamingthe issue on Verizon's "capacity" for years. Granted, the Costco parking lots around here are filled with MB cars, but most of those who I know don't have or don't care about Internet connection in their vehicles. I'm kinda dubious about this claim from MB. Can you expand a little about this January's increase?

Thanks,
Old 01-02-2017, 03:11 PM

E300 P03
Originally Posted by joebe
We have had the gas filler problem happen once but we've only filled up three or four times. The internet radio appears to be hit or miss. Sometimes we get Tune in but I heart has never appeared as an option on our system. I called Mbrace and they were no help at all. They suggested accessing it through the browser. Also get message about network availability when system shows 3 or 4 bars and Verizon cellphone works fine. When it works, Tune in is pretty nice.

Joe
Hi Joe,
You get Tune In whenever the car has an Internet connection. For iHeart, you have to make sure that you have a valid "Entertain" package subscription (which you should otherwise Tune In would not work), then activate the MB's head unit (HU) by getting the HU's code, sign in into iHeart on a computer, entering the HU's code in the activating page.
You can contact iHeart for support. They will reply to your queries but prepare for a drawn out process. I had to wait for 3 to 4 days before getting a response from iHeart.

Last edited by ADD0514; 01-02-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:18 PM

E300 P03
Originally Posted by Lanzz
I have the gas pump shutoff issue - you basically have to stand there and hold the nozzle to make sure it pumps gas into the tank. Figured it was just the design of the filler neck and not something that could be fixed...
Considering the US is a major market and the filler neck doesn't work smoothly with major brand gas stations, MB has a glaring design flaw then. You should NOT have to hold the nozzle for a fill up, specially when it snows or rains outside.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Considering the US is a major market and the filler neck doesn't work smoothly with major brand gas stations, MB has a glaring design flaw then. You should NOT have to hold the nozzle for a fill up, specially when it snows or rains outside.
Does CA still have the vapor capture housing over the nozzle that fits on the filler? I bet that there is a problem with the air displacement from the fuel tank and that arrangement. I never have had an issue in NC.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:29 PM

E300 P03
Does CA still have the vapor capture housing over the nozzle that fits on the filler? I bet that there is a problem with the air displacement from the fuel tank and that arrangement. I never have had an issue in NC.
Yep. We do. When I push the nozzle in, everything is fine. When I let the handle go, the nozzle get pushed back a little bit and the problem begins.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep. We do. When I push the nozzle in, everything is fine. When I let the handle go, the nozzle get pushed back a little bit and the problem begins.
And that is the problem. Blame the Air Resources Board.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:38 PM

E300 P03
And that is the problem. Blame the Air Resources Board.
Problem is...none of my other cars or older MB balks at the pump. Just the E300. Consistently and across various pumps.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Problem is...none of my other cars or older MB balks at the pump. Just the E300. Consistently and across various pumps.
The air relief for the fuel tank must be closer to the tank than on previous models. When the nozzle pulls back a bit, the gas is getting back into the nozzle from the air pushing on the gasoline fluid. It makes sense that all of your attempts in CA are the same. The nozzle is the same specification for all. You'll just have to hold the nozzle in while fueling. I don't have the issue with BP, Shell, or Exxon stations here in NC, but we don't have the vapor recovery gizmo either on the nozzle. I don't think that MB will create a new filler arrangement just for CA.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:15 PM

E300 P03
The air relief for the fuel tank must be closer to the tank than on previous models. When the nozzle pulls back a bit, the gas is getting back into the nozzle from the air pushing on the gasoline fluid. It makes sense that all of your attempts in CA are the same. The nozzle is the same specification for all. You'll just have to hold the nozzle in while fueling. I don't have the issue with BP, Shell, or Exxon stations here in NC, but we don't have the vapor recovery gizmo either on the nozzle. I don't think that MB will create a new filler arrangement just for CA.
Thanks for info. I was afraid of that.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 801 Likes on 633 Posts
I've had a similar issue with my Bimmer. I solved it by making sure I inserted the nozzle the same way each time I fuel - centered with the handle vertical and as deep as possible.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:50 PM

E300 P03
Originally Posted by ua549
I've had a similar issue with my Bimmer. I solved it by making sure I inserted the nozzle the same way each time I fuel - centered with the handle vertical and as deep as possible.
Tried that and other permutations. The nozzle is spring loaded and will push itself out a tiny bit when it's not actively pushed in. Unless the handle is perfectly aligned with the moon and 3 other planets.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
I have the exact same problem every time I fill my E300 with gas. It doesn't matter what gas station I fill up at. I've owned many new cars of different makes over the years (however, this is my first Mercedes-Benz) and I've never experienced this issue. I have tried holding the nozzle in different positions, all to no avail. It's a big annoyance to have to stand there and hold the nozzle down every time I fill gas, especially in inclement and colder weather. I wonder if this is a design flaw with the 2017 E300.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
Im in CA and I dont have a problem. You really have to stick the pump into the car, as far as it will go, and you can't have it scoot out even a bit. Try lifting it a bit and pushing it in deeper.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:39 PM

E300 P03
Originally Posted by joshg1001
Im in CA and I dont have a problem. You really have to stick the pump into the car, as far as it will go, and you can't have it scoot out even a bit. Try lifting it a bit and pushing it in deeper.
Thanks. I've been doing that - Lift and push in as far as the nozzle will go, jam the lower parts together so the handle gets locked in, fill up, push the handle in again and lift it out of the jam. Sometimes it gets tightly wedged in and wouldn't want to come out. Over the lifetime of the car, I don't know if wear and tear will pose any problem.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580

Regards,
The pump issue is an easy fix. Instead of inserting the nozzle all the way pull it out a little and try again. EU nozzles are a little different to ours.
Some apps are new so is the 4G system, give it a year for those b to work reliably. When I got my C the apps were goofy too, after a year they started to work very reliably. Verizon car svcs is not the most reliable partner. The whole network is separate from their voice services.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 E 300, Toyota Land Cruiser
Hi Joe,
You get Tune In whenever the car has an Internet connection. For iHeart, you have to make sure that you have a valid "Entertain" package subscription (which you should otherwise Tune In would not work), then activate the MB's head unit (HU) by getting the HU's code, sign in into iHeart on a computer, entering the HU's code in the activating page.
You can contact iHeart for support. They will reply to your queries but prepare for a drawn out process. I had to wait for 3 to 4 days before getting a response from iHeart.
Thanks for the help. Called MB customer service to get HU code and they were still on holiday so I tried M brace again. This time , after some off line consultation, they said they could fix it from their end. I shut the systems down and retried in about a half hour per instructions and lo and behold i Heart was working fine.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:05 PM

E300 P03
Originally Posted by joebe
I shut the systems down and retried in about a half hour per instructions and lo and behold i Heart was working fine.
I'm glad you got it to work. Enjoy.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by jgs1564
I have the exact same problem every time I fill my E300 with gas. It doesn't matter what gas station I fill up at. I've owned many new cars of different makes over the years (however, this is my first Mercedes-Benz) and I've never experienced this issue. I have tried holding the nozzle in different positions, all to no avail. It's a big annoyance to have to stand there and hold the nozzle down every time I fill gas, especially in inclement and colder weather. I wonder if this is a design flaw with the 2017 E300.
I have only needed to refill once (in CA), and did have to reposition the nozzle a couple times to prevent early shut off.

I have had this problem once or twice in the past on other cars. There are a couple temporary solutions that usually work. Neither is particularly environmentally friendly. So greenies should stop reading here.

Before turning the pump on, straighten the hose and squeeze the nozzle to drain all gasoline from the hose. If that doesn't help, break the seal between the filler tube rim and the nozzle vapor boot.

Ultimately you can find the sweet spot of how to position the nozzle to avoid the problem.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 PM

E300 P03
Originally Posted by Cao Black
Before turning the pump on, straighten the hose and squeeze the nozzle to drain all gasoline from the hose. If that doesn't help, break the seal between the filler tube rim and the nozzle vapor boot.
Hmmmm...I'll give that a try. Thanks.