Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
How To: Replace center console >

How To: Replace center console

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

How To: Replace center console

 
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 PM
  #26  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,062
Thanked 155 Times in 125 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
Originally Posted by RAzZin View Post
Great how-to, replaced mine easily:










Car looks much more finished inside with the new console.
To be honest I'm on the fence on the brown console, though I'm not a huge fan of the piano black due to its finger print magnet issue, the all brown look lacks a contrasting touch that the piano black provides.
c4004matic is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 04:18 PM
  #27  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 199 Times in 129 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by grange3 View Post
Hi all, if any one else is in a good mood and decides to replace the center console could to please video your work and put it on here and YouTube so we all can see how you did it for future reference I'm sure you will be very popular for a long time to come.cheers

There is no need, follow my guide and it is a breeze, it is by no means a complicated job,
vic viper is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 07:26 PM
  #28  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,062
Thanked 155 Times in 125 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
BTW the cost we have been discussing is for the 300 console. Will the cars with more buttons and options be even more? On the E43 with P3 every button on the console has a function. One of my little joys is not having any unused black buttons anywhere. Very silly, I know
c4004matic is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 PM
  #29  
Member
 
grange3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 128
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
2017 W213
Hi Vic Viper,thanks for your pics and guide on how to change the console they are very good but as a Mercedes Benz technician and mechanic you should understand its not only how but its also the confidence in doing the work that is also important, i think that a step by step guide on video would help guys like me that are as someone has already put it so well "once in a blue moon mechanic like us" for me its the connectors that looks the daunting part of the work taking out the console looks not to hard as its 4 screws also you have all the work shop tools and other Mercedes Benz mechanic around you that the biggest thing here for me if i make a mistake i would need to call a guy that is experience like you in fixing cars to fix my stuff up.cheers
grange3 is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 03:46 AM
  #30  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 199 Times in 129 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by c4004matic View Post
BTW the cost we have been discussing is for the 300 console. Will the cars with more buttons and options be even more? On the E43 with P3 every button on the console has a function. One of my little joys is not having any unused black buttons anywhere. Very silly, I know


The buttons are placed in the AC Control unit, the media panel and the touch pad module witch are all swapped over, it doesnt matter what the button config is or how many buttons you have.

That being said there are different console part numbers if your vehicle is missing the Analog Clock, Ambient lighting and or equipped with the Control knob only without the touch pad.
Also manual cars naturally have a different console.
vic viper is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 04:33 AM
  #31  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 199 Times in 129 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by grange3 View Post
Hi Vic Viper,thanks for your pics and guide on how to change the console they are very good but as a Mercedes Benz technician and mechanic you should understand its not only how but its also the confidence in doing the work that is also important, i think that a step by step guide on video would help guys like me that are as someone has already put it so well "once in a blue moon mechanic like us" for me its the connectors that looks the daunting part of the work taking out the console looks not to hard as its 4 screws also you have all the work shop tools and other Mercedes Benz mechanic around you that the biggest thing here for me if i make a mistake i would need to call a guy that is experience like you in fixing cars to fix my stuff up.cheers

I understand that you are feeling uncomfortable doing this on your own but you must have friends or family with some technical experience?
There are no pitfalls, common sense and two screwdrivers is all you need.
vic viper is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 08:12 AM
  #32  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,062
Thanked 155 Times in 125 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
Originally Posted by vic viper View Post
The buttons are placed in the AC Control unit, the media panel and the touch pad module witch are all swapped over, it doesnt matter what the button config is or how many buttons you have.

That being said there are different console part numbers if your vehicle is missing the Analog Clock, Ambient lighting and or equipped with the Control knob only without the touch pad.
Also manual cars naturally have a different console.
Got it
c4004matic is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:42 PM
  #33  
Member
 
grange3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 128
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
2017 W213
Originally Posted by vic viper View Post
I understand that you are feeling uncomfortable doing this on your own but you must have friends or family with some technical experience?
There are no pitfalls, common sense and two screwdrivers is all you need.
Hi Vic Viper i think you have in some way miss understood why i think its a good idea for the owners of MB E W213 to have a video of how to replace the center console its not only for us here in MBWorld but in years to come as this model will be around for many years would like to change their center console it would be a great tool to help anyone just to have a look at youtube and see a step by step way of doing this job to their car.You do not need to film the work Vic Viper but maybe someone that has the idea of doing so could help many owners in the future i am looking at this myself but as you know parts a not that readily available for now and by the time i can get what i want here in Australia i may have change my car as i do every 2 or so years and not always to a Mercedes Benz but i have had 6 of them over me journey, again i think what you have put on this web site is very good, pics are great and your description is exceptional i for one would like to thank you for your work of how you are helping to educate us none mechanical types. cheers and happy motoring
grange3 is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 12:49 AM
  #34  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 199 Times in 129 Posts
S213
That is not entierly true, rumors say that it is possible to order a 2018 model with a wood center panel from factory.
vic viper is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 01:35 AM
  #35  
Member
 
grange3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 128
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
2017 W213
Originally Posted by vic viper View Post
That is not entierly true, rumors say that it is possible to order a 2018 model with a wood center panel from factory.
As i have only had this car for only a few months i will not be thinking of getting a 2018 model or any other car for now but just before i ordered the Benz W213 i was having a good look at the Maserati levante suv and the Maserati Ghibli as i have never had an Italian car that could be my next one someone could be putting the video of how to change the center console for the next owner not necessarily me at this stage.
grange3 is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:43 AM
  #36  
Member
 
grange3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 128
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
2017 W213
Hi Vic Viper i just call the Benz dealership here and used your part number A 238 680 15 03 black ash panel with ambient illumination and have been told no parts in Germany or Singapore and Singapore has the biggest parts wear house for Benz in all of Asia and that is were we in Australia get most of our parts for Benz from so i may just wait 6 months and try again then

Last edited by grange3; 06-01-2017 at 10:43 AM.
grange3 is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 07:49 AM
  #37  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,093
Thanked 222 Times in 194 Posts
.
Originally Posted by vic viper View Post
That is not entierly true, rumors say that it is possible to order a 2018 model with a wood center panel from factory.
True, but not burl walnut. Burl walnut trim still comes with a black center panel.
ua549 is offline  
Old 06-01-2017, 10:22 AM
  #38  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 59
Thanked 23 Times in 11 Posts
W213 E CLASS
Just checked with my parts guy here at work.... 337.00 .... but there are none to be had anywhere!
Mercedesfinance is offline  
Old 06-01-2017, 10:41 AM
  #39  
Member
 
grange3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 128
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
2017 W213
Originally Posted by Mercedesfinance View Post
Just checked with my parts guy here at work.... 337.00 .... but there are none to be had anywhere!
Hi Mercedesfinance, for $337 could i put in an order though you to get the center console as here in Australia it will be a hell of a lot longer time before i get it here i would be happy to pay $337 plus shipping i would need the black ash panel when you can get one please let me know so i can get in touch with you.cheers from Australia
grange3 is offline  
Old 06-01-2017, 02:28 PM
  #40  
Super Member
 
guhvies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bromley, UK
Posts: 759
Thanked 73 Times in 69 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
^^ Aussie RHD versus US LHD. Just saying...
guhvies is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to guhvies For This Useful Post:
grange3 (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 03:09 PM
  #41  
Member
 
grange3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 128
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
2017 W213
Originally Posted by guhvies View Post
^^ Aussie RHD versus US LHD. Just saying...
Hi guhvies when you look at the center console both are the same what the U.S. has on the right side i have on the left and what is on the U.S. left i have on the right that's why the center console will fit no worries coming from Germany or the U.S. its like i change gear with my left hand and in the U.S. they do it with their right hand. when i was in Canada on a business trip 20 years ago and tried to drive i found it hard to do so safely gave the car back to the driver in a very short time 1st time driving a left hand drive car and 1st time i ever saw snow.

Last edited by grange3; 06-01-2017 at 03:13 PM.
grange3 is offline  
Old 06-01-2017, 04:55 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 289
Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 40 Posts
E220d
Are you sure it's a mirror between LHD and RHD? I'm pretty sure the button layout is identical between both standards. Winds me up no end that the useful buttons to turn parking on and stop start off are opposite side to me and totally obscured by the multi touch controller whereas the off switch, which I've never used, is right by my along with the volume switch that passangers have to reach for (also not a fan of having the mode select switch right by the passenger either). Smacks of part standardisation/cost cutting to me at expense of usability.
Proeliator2001 is offline  
Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 PM
  #43  
Member
 
grange3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 128
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
2017 W213
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001 View Post
Are you sure it's a mirror between LHD and RHD? I'm pretty sure the button layout is identical between both standards. Winds me up no end that the useful buttons to turn parking on and stop start off are opposite side to me and totally obscured by the multi touch controller whereas the off switch, which I've never used, is right by my along with the volume switch that passangers have to reach for (also not a fan of having the mode select switch right by the passenger either). Smacks of part standardisation/cost cutting to me at expense of usability.
Hi Proeliator2001, like you i have the same thing with turn parking on and stop start off are opposite side to me and almost totally obscured and it **** me off every time i go for a drive even my wife now knows when the button is on to press it as i can not see it and just forget to press it, that's why i was looking for a way to stop the stop start off button for good it was much easier in my ML as it was a button on the dash "cost cutting" that all it is and if you have a good look the Nav and radio buttons are on the wrong side for a driver sitting on the right hand of the car. i can live with it for now but next time i buy a car i will be having a good look at the set up i did not have this stuff up in my Range Rover and i think lots of us that drive right hand cars will look at this as a factor that could influence the next car they buy.cheers
grange3 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to grange3 For This Useful Post:
arnsbrae (06-02-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 02:31 PM
  #44  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 199 Times in 129 Posts
S213
So yesterday a second panel arrived, I liked the grain pattern on this one more so I swapped mine out.
vic viper is offline  
Old 06-10-2017, 02:32 PM
  #45  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 59
Thanked 23 Times in 11 Posts
W213 E CLASS
Originally Posted by vic viper
So yesterday a second panel arrived, I liked the grain pattern on this one more so I swapped mine out.
Want to sell your old one?
Mercedesfinance is offline  
Old 06-10-2017, 02:48 PM
  #46  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 199 Times in 129 Posts
S213
Sorry, already spoken for.
vic viper is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 01:51 AM
  #47  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
E300
Has anyone ordered one in the states? I am looking for the Black Ash Open Grain one. I believe the part number is A238 680 15 03.
papester is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 04:20 AM
  #48  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 199 Times in 129 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by papester View Post
Has anyone ordered one in the states? I am looking for the Black Ash Open Grain one. I believe the part number is A238 680 15 03.


Correct yes if you have ambient illumination.
vic viper is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 12:23 PM
  #49  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,600
Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, On order: 2019 SL450
The big question here, is WHY did MB go with the gloss black panel in the first place? It looks cheap, it IS cheap, it is impossible to keep clean and is totally unbefitting a luxury car at the W213 level, at least as the ONLY option. With so many, very odd, asthetic decisions by MB lately, one can only assume that somebody over in Germany is either just messing with us or truly has a screw loose. Line up 100 people at random and ask them if the panel should be in black across the board or be coordinated with the rest of the trim and I feel very strongly that something like 90% would go for coordination.

For the 2018 S Class, they are introducing an interior called Magma Gray/Espresso Brown. Does ANYONE here think that gray & brown go together??? What I would give to actually have the ear of someone in authority at MB for just an hour. Just like a jackass, they need to be hit squarely in the forehead with a 2x4, just to get their attention. Idiots.

BTW, the OP's new panel looks SENSATIONAL!

Last edited by Streamliner; 07-16-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:40 PM
  #50  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,093
Thanked 222 Times in 194 Posts
.
Gray and brown often make a great interior color combination. As with any other color combinations, one needs to pay attention to the hue, saturation and luminance. Audi, BMW and bespoke car makers all offer grey and brown interior combinations.
ua549 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: