E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Anybody finds transmission feels jerky

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2107 E400
Anybody finds transmission feels jerky

Hi All... I just got my E400 last week, coming from a 2012 E350. I found that the new car transmission seems to be jerky decelerating (slowing down to a stop sign or red light, VERY GENTLY, not hard stops, and quite a few times I can feel very abrupt downshifts through each gear, almost as if the transmission is hunting for a gear? Accelerating, GENTLY, it only happened a few times.

The E350 certainly did not do anything like that.

Is this normal during the break in period? Or is the car trying to learn my driving habits? Would like to see if anybody else feels this before going back to the dealer.

Thank you.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:16 PM

2017 E400 Wagon
It's not just you, I've noticed the same thing at times. I've assumed it's part of the "learning" process during break in and that it will smooth out, as it already seems less noticeable after 500 miles then it was at the very beginning. I can't speak to beyond that though.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E300
Originally Posted by ccec
Hi All... I just got my E400 last week, coming from a 2012 E350. I found that the new car transmission seems to be jerky decelerating (slowing down to a stop sign or red light, VERY GENTLY, not hard stops, and quite a few times I can feel very abrupt downshifts through each gear, almost as if the transmission is hunting for a gear? Accelerating, GENTLY, it only happened a few times.

Is this normal during the break in period? Or is the car trying to learn my driving habits? Would like to see if anybody else feels this before going back to the dealer.

Thank you.
What driving mode do you have the car in?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Hyundai Genesis
Originally Posted by failingboy
It's not just you, I've noticed the same thing at times. I've assumed it's part of the "learning" process during break in and that it will smooth out, as it already seems less noticeable after 500 miles then it was at the very beginning. I can't speak to beyond that though.
Was it the cars learning process, or yours, learning not to do whatever action triggered this behavior?

I've caught myself doing that with my car, realizing it was training me!
Old 06-16-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by ccec

Thank you.
Yes, I have the same issue with the tranny, rough downshifts. It happens when I decelerate from higher speed. It does not happen when I decelerate from, say 35miles or slower speed. I don't think it's normal though. I don't think it has anything to do with learning period. I had other cars that also had adaptive learning but never jerky downshifts. I have 2.5K miles now, if it does not go away, I will take it to the dealer.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Only in jerky mode AKA sport plus. On sport plus the downshift to first gear can be fairly abrupt. In all other modes its smooth as silk 99% of the time. When new, you could occasionaly feel it shift in the lower gears. After 1000 miles, if it werent for the engine tone, you would think it was an electric motor
Old 07-25-2017, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
Yes, I have the same issue with the tranny, rough downshifts. It happens when I decelerate from higher speed. It does not happen when I decelerate from, say 35miles or slower speed. I don't think it's normal though. I don't think it has anything to do with learning period. I had other cars that also had adaptive learning but never jerky downshifts. I have 2.5K miles now, if it does not go away, I will take it to the dealer.
Took the car into dealer today for "A" Service and to address the rough downshifts at times. At 10,200 miles the issue did not resolve itself and appeared to be getting worse. Dealer found new M.E. and E.T.C. updates to address the issue. Downshifts are now only noticeable on the tachometer. 😀😀😀 Unfortunately, I do not have the p/n of the firmware updates.

BTW, the "A" Service included changing of the wiper blades! They do appear to be of a different design than what was originally on the car (Oct production). Definitely a MB part as I can see the logo on each blade.

Last edited by HBerman; 07-25-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 E300 4Matic, Piedmont Green
When it was new, my 2017 E300 developed some rough shifting in comfort mode. After taking my dealer’s service manager on a test drive to show him the problem, the dealer “retrained” the transmissible and the problem never recurred.

I don’t know what they actually did to fix the problem, but they knew what to do and it is still working nearly 17,000 miles later.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 E300 4Matic, Piedmont Green
Duplicate post removed.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2023 EQE 500
i took my 2017 E300 to the dealer to have them look at the downshift jerkeness too... similar to HBerman, they applied an update to the transmission program and now downshifting is much smoother.

not sure how to get in "service mode" to see all the versions of the various modules but it would be handy to create a sticky page with that info