E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Navigation/Maps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E300 RWD
Navigation/Maps

Overall, I'm liking my E300....BUT, that navigation system (slow screen boot, gives 3/4 mile notice for changing or getting off freeways) and the Maps (constantly saying things that don't make sense and often taking me the wrong direction or wrong places.) It's the worst (really) I've ever used.

I have an iPhone and sometimes use its maps instead (which overall have been better than the MB's Tom Tom's maps) but I don't like losing the screen interface when using Apple's Car Play.
The following 2 users liked this post by acecert:
DMRDSM (06-16-2017), Drano64 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 GLC43
it's somewhat embarrassing in today's Mapping Apps.

To utilize the "earth" view you need to scale out to (2) two miles and then there's little to no mapping details of any use and also noticed the "earth" view isn't even in Focus. Weak for 70+K vehicle.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 E CLASS, 4-Matic, P3.
Yes, the nav and route guidance is a big disappointment. Very bad, very sad. Never thought that in this day and age, a nav system, yet alone one in a Merc, could be so horrible. We have had a total of four Toyota's NAVS since 2005 and route guidance in the E 300 can't compare to the original one in 2005. We currently own a 2016 Tacoma so am reminded daily on how bad the Merc sucks. On our first 3,200 mile trip, we found out real quick how bad it was. It was a shocking discovery that we weren't prepared for. We removed paper maps from our vehicles in 2005. Used Google Maps on our smart phone to get home, while comparing the route and lane assist directions between the phone and the car. Thank goodness for unlimited data plans. On our second 3,400 mile trip, we took a Garmin that we bought 10 years ago which we use when we rent cars. We also got a paper map from AAA. Now we compare the Garmin, Google map and Merc voice and display guidance when we travel, and the Merc nav looses every time. Pretty sad seeing a $73,000 MB with a Garmin on its dash. Agree, the 3/4 mile notification, is not enough and certainly a safety hazard, especially when you're in 6-8 lanes of traffic. It has a terrible time with fly-over ramps also. When you take a ramp that splits into 2 directions, you're faced with not knowing which one to take. It loves taking back roads and longer travel times when the interstate is preferred and is the shorter distance (no matter what setting you use). Several times it has told us to turn one direction, but the visual shows the opposite. On our first 3,200 mile trip, the nav just stopped working while we were driving down the interstate. We pulled over at the next rest stop and turned the car off. It came back on when we turned the car on. In calling MB, they said they've not received any complaints about the system or route guidance. When we talk to the people at the dealership, it's like they don't know what you're talking about. What a waste of a beautiful high res screen. Think the MB engineers need to rent a Toyota or Lexus for a month and learn what a nav is suppose to do. If you're a highly nav dependent Toyota or Lexus owner, this system is not for you. Thankfully we are leasing. Love the car, so hope MB changes vendors otherwise, we will have to jump ship.

Last edited by DMRDSM; 06-16-2017 at 03:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Drano64 (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I have had zero issues with the database. Rarely it says right when it means left. In Chicago it works beautifully, it even works while underground in Wacker drive, for example. The graphics are stunning! What is particularly excellent is the real time traffic information, it can pinpoint congestion to the meter. I kidded with my wife that it drove like my dad, who knew every possible shortcut to avoid any traffic jam. In some instances it would reroute us around a single block to avoid an area of congestion, remarkable. Furthermore, it knows exactly how long it would take to traverse a congested area almost to the second! Ive driven with dozens of nav systems, the one included on the double screen option is by far the most advanced I have ever used. Of course, where you live and how complete the database is for that particular area is key. For Chicago, it frigging rocks. BTW Ive used Toyota and Lexus systems they look stone age compared to the HD graphics that MB has put on the E class.

Last edited by c4004matic; 06-16-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:59 AM

2020 GLE350
Ha! Get out of Chicago and take a road trip to somewhere you don't actually know where you're going and your opinion may change.

Yes, the hd display is awesome but as people have said in this thread and others, it is wasted space. The lack of turn information is not only poor planning, but down right dangerous. When driving through a major city with 6-7 lanes, the 3/4 mile notice of turn direction is totally inadequate. Especially, by the time it actually finishes the notice you are under 1/2 mile from the turn.

My first trip to Clearwater Beach FL it routed me out of Atlanta to a state highway that ran down the coast instead or staying on I75. With the last 40-50 miles being stop and go, this added hours to the trip.

Likewise on another trip to Jacksonville instead of routing me to I95 as any other app would, it pulled me to GA state roads for the last 200 miles. I will never trust its routing again.

As the previous poster said, I've had multiple occurrences where the voice says turn one direction and the display shows the opposite firection.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 e300
I recently gave Apple Maps a real good test in LA and, alas, it's still inferior. Too bad Google Maps is blocked for iPhone users. Its biggest flaw, IMHO, is that unlike MB and Google maps it doesn't flat out say, "Turn now," or something like that. It's such an obvious flaw. After using Apple Maps for several days I switched back to MB's NAV. Got me where I had to go and always reminded me exactly where to turn. In my case, the direction was correct. :-)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 AM
off

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Audi Q5 Hybrid
Originally Posted by c4004matic
BTW Ive used Toyota and Lexus systems they look stone age compared to the HD graphics that MB has put on the E class.
I have a 2014 Lexus GS 350 lease I'm turning in soon. I have too agree, it's ten years behind Audi MMI, BMW iDrive and Mercedes COMMAND. The haptic mouse input is very slow to enter letters, and the the address entry in voice command does not allow a naturally spoken address. The map can't even do 3D view, and the radio presets for SiriusXM can't display the channel names next to them!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by WalterParker
Ha! Get out of Chicago and take a road trip to somewhere you don't actually know where you're going and your opinion may change.

Yes, the hd display is awesome but as people have said in this thread and others, it is wasted space. The lack of turn information is not only poor planning, but down right dangerous. When driving through a major city with 6-7 lanes, the 3/4 mile notice of turn direction is totally inadequate. Especially, by the time it actually finishes the notice you are under 1/2 mile from the turn.

My first trip to Clearwater Beach FL it routed me out of Atlanta to a state highway that ran down the coast instead or staying on I75. With the last 40-50 miles being stop and go, this added hours to the trip.

I visit Chicago about once a month to visit our daughter, thus, I never know where Im going. I cant understand the idea of no turn instructions, it gives turn instructions perfectly! It usually starts around the 2 mile mark and guides you up to the exact moment you have to turn! I've driven nav systems from all major manufacturers and none provides more precise turning instructions. the only way for it to give more turn instructions would be for it to talk to you incessantly! in complex exits it gives you multiple direction at once too ie " turn right and then turn left" ! As all nav systems it has its limitations, however, not telling you when to turn is most definitely one of them.

Likewise on another trip to Jacksonville instead of routing me to I95 as any other app would, it pulled me to GA state roads for the last 200 miles. I will never trust its routing again.

As the previous poster said, I've had multiple occurrences where the voice says turn one direction and the display shows the opposite firection.
The right and left issue Ive had, but it is not common, the display has always been correct.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by bizinsider
I recently gave Apple Maps a real good test in LA and, alas, it's still inferior. Too bad Google Maps is blocked for iPhone users. Its biggest flaw, IMHO, is that unlike MB and Google maps it doesn't flat out say, "Turn now," or something like that. It's such an obvious flaw. After using Apple Maps for several days I switched back to MB's NAV. Got me where I had to go and always reminded me exactly where to turn. In my case, the direction was correct. :-)
And always will be since apple has not spent any real resources on it. If they want to improve they will need to use the google database which is by a very long shot the best one. Google made it a priority to own the maps market pouring more money in to it than all other "mappers" combined! Unless Google just simply disappears all others will have to use their database. When google started google earth a lot of "experts" thought it was a quixotic boondoggle, boy were they wrong.
Everyone thinks that apple is this invincible juggernaut, well they are barking up the wrong tree, apple has become a single product company the, I phone. In the products that matter for future growth like the cloud, and data its a non-contender.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by bizinsider
Google maps isn't blocked for iphone users.. or at least it wasn't. Just search for it on the app store.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 e300
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
Google maps isn't blocked for iphone users.. or at least it wasn't. Just search for it on the app store.
Sorry, I didn't explain it properly: When you choose Android or Apple as your OS you are also deciding which one will show up as your alternative maps ON the MB NAV system. I have an iPhone, so for "integration" purposes I'm stuck w/Car Play (which is great for phone calls, messages) and Apple Maps (which is inferior for "turn HERE" directions to Google Maps or MB's system. (In my opinion.)
Old 07-14-2017, 05:05 PM

2017 E300 RWD
Regarding Navigation....

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...avigation.html