E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

MY18 E400 Sedan in USA--CONFIRMED!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by Streamliner
We had a 2004 E500 with AirMatic. Fantastic car, but I don't think we will ever see a non AMG V8 E Class sedan again. That said, when I went to order a new SL, I just assumed that I would get an SL550 with the V8. However, after multiple test drives in the V6 powered SL450, I went for it. Amazing power and torque, along with a much lighter & sportier feel. Coupled with the new nine speed transmission, it really is a perfect combination. Like it or not, we have to face it: MB & others are rising to the occasion with new, smaller engines, offering more and more in the way of HP and torque. Now, they just need to work on refining how the I4 sounds at low speeds. I heard one the other day in a parking lot and it sounded like an old diesel.
I really like the way the new sl's look, could be something to consider to go along with my Audi s8 plus in Florida, something that is smaller yet luxurious and fun to drive. I've never driven one, and was never sure how to think about them, sports car or what? Did you ever compare the sl to any Porsche? Also, I guess the interior is still old style, correct? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by ngerstman
I really like the way the new sl's look, could be something to consider to go along with my Audi s8 plus in Florida, something that is smaller yet luxurious and fun to drive. I've never driven one, and was never sure how to think about them, sports car or what? Did you ever compare the sl to any Porsche? Also, I guess the interior is still old style, correct? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Over my years, I've had many SL's and many 911's. At a few times, I had one of each in the garage and in those situations, I found myself wanting to drive the SL more than the Porsche. The new SL450 is an absolute delight to drive. Very luxurious, very comfortable and with the touch of a button, the top is down. Get's a bit chilly? Hit another button and the wind screen comes up. Still chilly? Raise the windows and turn on Air Scarf for a warm breeze on your neck. I absolutely love the look of the new 911 Targa, along with the way they let you order the car in amazing interior & exterior colors. However, when I think about which one I want to actually drive, the SL wins hands down. By the way, if you go with an SL, bite the bullet and order the $4K ABC. It is worth its weight in gold.