Fine Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
N/A
Fine Tuning

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone looked into fine tuning there car. I want to get a little more HP from my car and I was looking into Fine Tunning the engine. Do anyone recommend a certain company/brand of fine tunning?

Thanks,
SirJulian
Old 08-09-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
The engine in your car has already been tuned by the AMG guys. That is how MB can put the AMG badge on the car and how you have the already boosted output from a standard MB production engine.. So if you're looking.to try and tune it even higher, just be aware you're already pretty close to what MB considers the safe, long-term operating limits. Still I'm sure soneone will offer a tune to squeeze out a bit more power.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:40 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by PaulE550
The engine in your car has already been tuned by the AMG guys. That is how MB can put the AMG badge on the car and how you have the already boosted output from a standard MB production engine.. So if you're looking.to try and tune it even higher, just be aware you're already pretty close to what MB considers the safe, long-term operating limits. Still I'm sure soneone will offer a tune to squeeze out a bit more power.
I don't have a E43, I have a E300. Do you think its worth it considering I have a E300 versus a E43?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Every car can be tuned to provide more power. However there is always two factors you must consider. First, it's likely you'll move the car further away from emissions compliance unless you're changing physical hardware. Two, more power means more load on the engine and drivetrain. You may safely get 20, 30, 50 percent greater power depending on level of modifications you make but longevity may be seriously compromised (and warranty will always be voided).

None of us can say how close Mercedes have optimized every component in the engine and drivetrain. Ideally they'll have set it up so that each component is just good enough to withstand the expected loading plus a degree of standard deviation to account for varying use cases. What I mean is that they'll have a number of design cases to meet and one of them should envelope how the vast majority of customers will likely use the car. Drive aggressively all the time in harsh ambient conditions and it's likely your engine will go bang far before a typical commuter. So you could tune the engine a bit and as long as you're using it sympathetically you may never have trouble. But you can't be sure as, like I said, none of us know what reserve factors and margins are built in to every component of our cars.

In reality id bet there is a fair margin in a bread and butter car to increase power as it's not worth the risk of tight optimization in case you end up on the wrong side of conservatism. If they get the maths wrong and parts wear out or break quickly it's a huge warranty cost to bear. So it's a numbers game really of driving out material and manufacturing costs versus reliability versus performance.

And on top of that, there is variabilities in material stock, manufacture and assembly so two "identical" cars may respond very differently when tuned. Up the power, you up the mean stress the engine is exposed to. Higher mean stress causes more damage per cycle. The higher mean stress (and thus higher peak alternating stress) may now end up killing one engine in a month whilst the other battles on for 5 years. Luck of the draw really. Modern cars have high repeatabililty in their manufacture but just because John tuned his car and it's fine doesn't mean yours will be.

I wouldn't even mess with the tune of a car that is in warranty and really, if you want more power it's always better to start off with more power (as in an e43 or 63) than to eke out a few more bhp from what you've got.

Oh and a few bhp will make sod all difference anyway. Flat out acceleration, in my various experiences, only differ enough when there's a good 50bhp or more gulf between cars of similar weight and even then, in the context of road use, it's usually a small enough difference to only matter if you're insecure about your manhood.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by SirJulian
I don't have a E43, I have a E300. Do you think its worth it considering I have a E300 versus a E43?
The direct answer to your question is NO.

The turbo 4 in the new E300 is already pretty much setup for what can be deliver safely and consistently over the projected life of the vehicle. Sure you can probably get someone to squeeze an extra 10 or 15 hp out of the already highly-tuned engine, but you're not going to notice that small difference. So it would be a waste of money on your part.

The E300 was designed for a specific ownership demographic and it fills the needs of that demographic quite well from all the feedback I've heard from those that bought it. If you're interested in noticeably more "get up and go" or a more performance oriented ride and feel, then as Proeliator2001 has already pointed out, you simply need a different vehicle to start out with. These newer model E's, with the exception of the AMG E63S, are already pretty much set at the upper limits of what they can produce safely.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:42 AM

N/A
If it doesn't really do anything then it's not worth it all. Thanks for the help guys!