Door rattle resolution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Door rattle resolution

I had the car into the shop for the recall. While it was there, I asked my tech to see if the rattle from the lower part of the driver's door panel could be addressed. He determined that the cause of the noise (when I would go over expansion strips) was due to the wire attached to the light at the bottom of the panel. He affixed felt tape to secure the wire on BOTH the driver's door and the passenger door as well. Apparently the wire just lays on the door panel and it is not controlled. Net, noise gone.
The following 3 users liked this post by HBerman:
dbtk (09-07-2017), jumpman726 (09-13-2017), mickhoog (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 02:22 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
I wonder if this is what is driving lol me up the wall
Drivers door had been in to the dealer and they said the arm rest was a bit loose and fixed that however there is an annoying rattle around my head (not in side my head lol) and the lower part of the door.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 PM

Ok lets see if this works

I think i have found the source of the door rattle - its affecting a lot of the trim - its near the lock mechanism

The upper part of the door is also loose but its locked in to place when the door is shut but i think stemming from near the lock mechanism

On the passenger side its rock solid, and not loose like on my drivers side, so i stuffed in two business cards folded and its still a bit loose. THought I’d try this as a temp measure and it has cut down the rattle considerably so I’m sure I’m on the right track.

I think every car has rattles now :-(. I should just go back to a polo lol
Attached Thumbnails Door rattle resolution-e610818d-1302-4115-ab2d-6a60008c999f.jpeg   Door rattle resolution-dd5b02af-d8fa-4609-bc60-783e45a0fb89.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
jumpman726 (10-03-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
I brought mine in for the recall and asked them to check a rattling that was around my head, after them driving it for a bit, they determined the drivers side sun visor was the cause and they ordered me a new sun visor for the drivers side.
The following 2 users liked this post by makris0000:
jumpman726 (10-03-2017), mickhoog (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by makris0000
I brought mine in for the recall and asked them to check a rattling that was around my head, after them driving it for a bit, they determined the drivers side sun visor was the cause and they ordered me a new sun visor for the drivers side.
I’ll take a look at this actually :-). The issue is coming from behind “the call is coming from within the house” my head i think
Old 10-01-2017, 12:33 AM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by mickhoog
I’ll take a look at this actually :-). The issue is coming from behind “the call is coming from within the house” my head i think
When I was trying to pinpoint the rattl I didn’t even think to consider the sun visor. I thought it was coming from the middle pillar between the front and rear driver side doors but I guess I was wrong haha.
mickhoog (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by makris0000
When I was trying to pinpoint the rattl I didn’t even think to consider the sun visor. I thought it was coming from the middle pillar between the front and rear driver side doors but I guess I was wrong haha.
“Off to the BatMobile”
Old 10-01-2017, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
So far no rattles in my E300.
mickhoog (10-02-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have just solved this in my w213. There was a creak coming from the driver’s door (RHD car) at ear level with the window is fully shut, when the window is lowered 5mm the noise goes. It would creak going over a speed bump and when accelerating and braking. On a warm day, it was even more noticeable.

When the window is fully shut, the top of the door closes in towards the body of the car. The rubber seals on the door frame and on the body of the car then creak from the car moving.

I bought a bottle of this Mercedes lubricant (part number A0009893660) and lubricated the inside of both seals and the noise has now gone.
jumpman726 (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by mark little
I have just solved this in my w213. There was a creak coming from the driver’s door (RHD car) at ear level with the window is fully shut, when the window is lowered 5mm the noise goes. It would creak going over a speed bump and when accelerating and braking. On a warm day, it was even more noticeable.

When the window is fully shut, the top of the door closes in towards the body of the car. The rubber seals on the door frame and on the body of the car then creak from the car moving.

I bought a bottle of this Mercedes lubricant (part number A0009893660) and lubricated the inside of both seals and the noise has now gone.
Thanks Mark , appreciate it. I noticed that since i put the business cards in the trim it hardly makes any noise > I also found that when i opened my window it also stopped, and i thought perhaps it was just because of white noise?

I'll speak to the dealer again, maybe they can relube it for me
Old 11-24-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 W211 E220CDI
Had a very annoying rattling noise in the driver's door of my W213 too. Brought it to the dealership 4 times, no solution. It was driving me crazy as there was a non-stop rattle in the door. So I decided do look for a solution myself and removed the door panel. Now it seems there are orange pins on the inside of the door panel that keep it in place. These pins were fitting too loosely and that made them rattle, so I glued them with neoprene glue (that remains flexible) and the rattle is gone!!

Hope this can help others too.

That said, it's sad to see that a brand that markets itself with "The best or nothing" has this many rattling noises. BMW does a way better job then Mercedes these days at keeping the interiors of their cars rattle free, even on their smaller models...
mickhoog (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by mastrch
Had a very annoying rattling noise in the driver's door of my W213 too. Brought it to the dealership 4 times, no solution. It was driving me crazy as there was a non-stop rattle in the door. So I decided do look for a solution myself and removed the door panel. Now it seems there are orange pins on the inside of the door panel that keep it in place. These pins were fitting too loosely and that made them rattle, so I glued them with neoprene glue (that remains flexible) and the rattle is gone!!

Hope this can help others too.

That said, it's sad to see that a brand that markets itself with "The best or nothing" has this many rattling noises. BMW does a way better job then Mercedes these days at keeping the interiors of their cars rattle free, even on their smaller models...
How do you take the door off? I only see one screw under the grab part of the door handle? Is there any?
A detailed description is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
install front door lining.pdf (817.9 KB, 1030 views)
File Type: pdf
install rear door lining.pdf (449.1 KB, 357 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by konigstiger:
amf77 (04-19-2019), denjermen (11-15-2018), jumpman726 (11-26-2017), mickhoog (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
See attachments.
thanks mate
Old 11-27-2017, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 300
Hello Everybody, I was wondering of any of you is experiencing a rattle coming from the dashboard? I have 4000 Km on my car and it started just after the break in period.
I called MB, and I was told that this is common and that some kind of a spray can solve this problem. He said that they will spray it on the dashboard on the next service?! any ideas?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
Originally Posted by mickhoog
Ok lets see if this works

I think i have found the source of the door rattle - its affecting a lot of the trim - its near the lock mechanism

The upper part of the door is also loose but its locked in to place when the door is shut but i think stemming from near the lock mechanism

On the passenger side its rock solid, and not loose like on my drivers side, so i stuffed in two business cards folded and its still a bit loose. THought I’d try this as a temp measure and it has cut down the rattle considerably so I’m sure I’m on the right track.

I think every car has rattles now :-(. I should just go back to a polo lol
I recently started hearing a tick from the RHD door around elbow to shoulder level when going over certain surfaces and noticed that when I gently press the edges of the RHD door card, it also makes a tick tick. I will try your suggestion but I will insert a postit note instead as the door card gap is very small, only enough for a postit to slip in.

Hopefully, it fixes the issue.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:37 AM

E250
It did not work. The slight tick seems to be worse when it's hotter outside ( 25 Deg C + ) and least bad when around 18 Deg C

Any ideas what it might be ? I thought it might have been from the seat belt fixing on the B pillar but its very hard to tell.

Could it be from insulation around the door rubbing ?
Old 05-07-2019, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Originally Posted by mmoghazy
Hello Everybody, I was wondering of any of you is experiencing a rattle coming from the dashboard? I have 4000 Km on my car and it started just after the break in period.
I called MB, and I was told that this is common and that some kind of a spray can solve this problem. He said that they will spray it on the dashboard on the next service?! any ideas?
i'm replying very late I know.. for me it was the grill on top of the dash on driver side. they put some padding which solved it (it's a known issue)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:57 AM

E250

Hi Mark

I suspect the tick/creak noise I am getting is also the same as yours as I tried opening the window and the noise also reduced drastically. Today I bought some silicone lube for door seals but I am not sure where you applied it? Please elaborate a bit more ?

I just lubed the rubber surfaces that contact the paint. I also lubed the inside of the softer foamy insulation which also contacts the paint on the drivers door and driver side rear door.

When I lifted up the foamy insulation on the driver door near my ear level to lube inside, I noticed there is a ventilation hole at exactly that position. I do wonder if the noise I am hearing could be caused by air entering/exiting that ventilation hole as the car flexes causing the insulation to compress/decompress.

I will find out tomorrow if this fix works as I did not have time to take the car for a drive today.

Thanks

Last edited by mister__p; 05-15-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
See link below for pic

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/w213...t#post51976104
Old 05-17-2019, 01:28 AM

E250
Thank you Mark !

When I went to MB parts to inquire about the rubber treatment (A0009893660), they would not show me what it was but said it was 140USD per bottle. I had to buy it to see it. Rather than be extorted, I went to a local auto shop with a wide range of products and picked up a can of Liqui Moly Pro Line silicone spray for rubber for 10USD. I noticed Liqui Moly also had a pflege product but was told by the auto guys in the shop that silicone spray was enough and safe to use for lubing.

Does anyone know the difference between the two products?. Is it worth me picking up the Pfleger and using it in the future instead of silicone ?
When I lubed my seals, I did so very lightly using a cotton bud and cotton pad to avoid the mess you normally get with spraying so if i were to switch to gummi pfleger, wiping away the existing silicone should not be a big deal though I suspect they are probably very similar products with minor differences ( one is an aerosol spray and the other is a liquid intended for wiping on?)

Silicone Spray
http://www.liqui-moly.eu/liqui-moly/...cument&land=GB
Pfleger
Amazon Amazon

Update: I tried silicone spray and it made no difference but what did work was adjusting the drivers door.

When the car arrived from the factory, the passenger door was not flush when closed as the door striker was out by 1.6mm. The drivers door striker was also out but only by 0.8mm which was much less obvious.
After adjusting the driver door striker ( moving it inwards by 0.8 ), it seems to have reduced the noise considerably to the extent I can't notice it at all. The driver door does now require a more effort to close it but it closes with a nice reassuring thud which I prefer.

It's obvious that these cars are made to very tight tolerances and when the assembly robots are out of calibration, it can lead to unwanted space/loose fittings and therefore rattling

Last edited by mister__p; 06-25-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
I appreciate this thread. I've tried some of the things mentioned here, but did not take my door trim apart to check for loose clips. I swear the noise is coming from around the frame of the window up top. Gummi Pflege along the door jamb weather strips did not help. For those who noticed that opening the window slightly reduces the noise, I think I have the same situation as you. Upon inspection, I believe I found the issue. The top rubber molding where the window slides into makes noise if I press against it. Try it with the window rolled down. It's like the sound of rubber sticking to the metal frame of the door and unsticking. Almost like a tick sound. I think the only way to remedy this would be to pull out the rubber molding (the molding where the window slides into) at the top of the window and to apply some thin felt tape on the metal door frame before reinserting the rubber molding. I don't trust myself enough to pull it out without somehow damaging it. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.