Two Questions about Your E300 - Headlights and Auto-Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 E300 Sport
Two Questions about Your E300 - Headlights and Auto-Start

QUESTION #1
When the ECO auto start/stop function restarts on my car, the entire car shakes back to life in an annoying manner. I have a Lexus with the same function and I can barely feel or hear when it auto restarts. it is just my car or do all E300s shake like this?

QUESTION #2
I keep my headlights switch in the #4 AUTO position so that I never have to think about turning them on or off. However I cannot activate the high beams by pushing the left stalk away from me. I can only flash them momentarily by pulling the stalk towards me (spring loaded in that direction). Thus I have no high beams. is this normal? Again, on my Lexus the the high beams work manually like on most cars (push away they go on, pull back to center they go off) even in the AUTO position.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by Sunrose305
QUESTION #1
When the ECO auto start/stop function restarts on my car, the entire car shakes back to life in an annoying manner. I have a Lexus with the same function and I can barely feel or hear when it auto restarts. it is just my car or do all E300s shake like this?

QUESTION #2
I keep my headlights switch in the #4 AUTO position so that I never have to think about turning them on or off. However I cannot activate the high beams by pushing the left stalk away from me. I can only flash them momentarily by pulling the stalk towards me (spring loaded in that direction). Thus I have no high beams. is this normal? Again, on my Lexus the the high beams work manually like on most cars (push away they go on, pull back to center they go off) even in the AUTO position.

Thanks!

You most likely have adaptive high beams. When you push the stalk forward, that activates the auto function. Try pushing the stalk forward and leaving it there, and see if the high beams come on by themselves when needed.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
15 cls 550
If it’s like the cls you have to switch the headlights to manual to use the high beams
Old 09-21-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
You most likely have adaptive high beams. When you push the stalk forward, that activates the auto function. Try pushing the stalk forward and leaving it there, and see if the high beams come on by themselves when needed.
BlackjamM is right on the money. I have the adaptive matrix headlights and when I push the lever nothing seems to happen - until I need main beam, then it just kicks in and out automagically. Best lights ever - it’s amazing the way the matrix creates a shadow area around vehicles in front and to the side...
Old 09-21-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Different engine but mine shakes itself to bits when autostart kicks in.

If you've the multibeam matrix lights, when your push the stalk forwards you'll see a grey light symbol with, I think (I just used them about 2 hours ago, terrible memory), an A inside it next to the regular blue or green (high/dipped) symbol on your main dash screen to indicate it's on auto/adaptive high beam. It will go to high beam in all circumstances it can do (which is never when there is street lighting present perhaps explaining why you didn't see anything happen). You'd know if you have multibeam by the dance the lights do when you switch the car on at night.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 E300 Sport
Thanks all. I did not order Adaptive Highbeam Assist and have never seen them come on automatically so don't believe I have them. I suspect the answer is I need to switch to manual to use the high beams (which, if correct, is ridiculous) as Scaminer suggests. Can anybody without Adaptive Highbeam Assist confirm this?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by skaminer
If it’s like the cls you have to switch the headlights to manual to use the high beams
Correct. If the rotary switch is set to auto the highbeams only activate automatically, if you want to do it manually you have to set the rotary knob to the "on" position. The autodimming is pretty aggressive anything that might be coming an approaching light will activate it. In addition the power output of the headlights varies according to ambient lighting ie in a well lit city street the output is lower than in a dark highway. In general it works very well, but in an area with varying levels of light the constant back and forth switching can be a little distracting at first.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by Sunrose305
Thanks all. I did not order Adaptive Highbeam Assist and have never seen them come on automatically so don't believe I have them. I suspect the answer is I need to switch to manual to use the high beams (which, if correct, is ridiculous) as Scaminer suggests. Can anybody without Adaptive Highbeam Assist confirm this?
Adaptive Highbeam Assist was not available on my '17 GLC, but I do have the LED Intelligent Light System, which behaves in the same manner yours does: in the Auto position, high beams are controlled by the car; the dash shows a gray high-beam icon with an "A" in it when the stalk is pushed toward the dash and the high beams are off. I've found the vehicle to be very conservative in allowing the high beams to come on.

I have to set the lights to ON in order to control the high beams myself.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
I don 't have Adaptive Highbeam Assist and LED Intelligent Light System, but high beam works in auto position
Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 Sport
#1 - When Eco start/stop is off when I'm at the light, I don't feel anything when the car starts back up and I also barely hear the engine starting back up, unless I have the radio off.

#2 - I have the adaptive headlights and in auto the high beam does not stay on. It only stays on when moved to manual.