2018 E-Class Lease VS Buy and opinion on 1st/2nd year models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 S430 4M, 99 E300TD
2018 E-Class Lease VS Buy and opinion on 1st/2nd year models

Hi all,

I've never leased before. We usually keep our Mercedes E and S Classes for at least 7-10 years plus. We're conservative drivers who maintain our cars. Not so sure about the 213 long term, with electric plug-ins starting to enter the German car fleets.

We're able to purchase a new car outright if we like. Would probably opt for the financing at 1.9% on a purchase. Wondering if there are any expert members that do a lot of leasing, who would recommend leasing the 2nd year 213 over buying?

As I said, we're on the fence about whether we will keep the 2018 long term, since it seems the first couple years the kinks need to be worked out. The upside if we lease and the car turns out to be relatively trouble free, we can buy it at the termination. If it's a dud, NO RISK, just financial loss.

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by engineering
Hi all,

I've never leased before. We usually keep our Mercedes E and S Classes for at least 7-10 years plus. We're conservative drivers who maintain our cars. Not so sure about the 213 long term, with electric plug-ins starting to enter the German car fleets.

We're able to purchase a new car outright if we like. Would probably opt for the financing at 1.9% on a purchase. Wondering if there are any expert members that do a lot of leasing, who would recommend leasing the 2nd year 213 over buying?

As I said, we're on the fence about whether we will keep the 2018 long term, since it seems the first couple years the kinks need to be worked out. The upside if we lease and the car turns out to be relatively trouble free, we can buy it at the termination. If it's a dud, NO RISK, just financial loss.

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks!
My parents and myself lease our cars. It is less of a hassle than buying the car outright or financing it. With leasing, you don't have to worry about depreciation as much as when buying a car. Leasing also gives you the option to buy it at the end if you like it and potentially have the dealership CPO the car when you buy it. Or you can just give it in and get the current model.

Also with leasing, you don't have to worry about the value of the car if it gets into an accident. If you drive a lot, like more than 15K annual miles, then buying is the way to go. But if you don't drive much than it makes more sense to lease it.

With maintenance, I just get the prepaid maintenance for the life of the lease so that way the car is covered and maintained well throughout the whole lease. Also with leases, the warranty generally lasts throughout the life if the lease which is a big plus because if something breaks, its covered (I probably mentioned that before).

A lot of people see leasing as a waste of money because you don't "own" the car. Even when financing it you still don't "own" the car until the note is completely paid off. I don't think it is because you basically pay for the depreciation of the car and thats about it. Also it allows you to have a lower monthly payment vs a finance monthly payment.

Last edited by makris0000; 09-25-2017 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
engineering (09-25-2017)