E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Car vibrating when breaking at speeds over 100km

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
Originally Posted by parkwood
Very helpful discussion for a non mechanic like myself thanks everyone albeit sad our fellow mb owner is putting up with a major flaw....
I am neither an engineer nor a sport or motorcycle driver/rider so maybe asking a really silly question but does 4matic have any influence on the situation. My 205 is 4matic.
Also I had the shock of replacing rear pads recently whereas it had always been fronts first so I discovered about the ebd system resulting in heavier rear brake pad wear...is it possible the 4matic system evens braking more than on the rear wheel drive or does the 4matic system make it worse by favouring the rear over the front?
is the solution a change to the programme controlling the brakes or just better quality rotors (discs to me) and if the latter mb should offer all distronic owners the upgrade sooner rather than later. This is a stain on their reputation for me.
As virtually everything in the car is actuated, there is definitely a potential for features like cruise control to be optimised to reduce wear and tear on components.
- Use more engine braking / drag braking
We know taking your foot of the gas will usually result in the car slowing down so this should be used as an alternative to braking when possible.
- Use both or alternate use of front/rear brake
- Increase tolerance of cruise control speed
If you could instruct the cruise control to maintain a speed within some range, say between 97 to 103 km/h instead of 100 exactly, this would reduce the frequency at which the control system would need to apply acceleration/braking. Over a given period of time, the reduction in braking acceleration would be considerable.
- Reduce speed attainment target time
This is the time you expect the cruise control system to get your car to the target speed. The lower the time, the more aggressive the control system needs to be. Allowing this timing to be more relaxed would also reduce the magnitude of the acceleration/braking.

All the above would need to be programmed together and would likely address some of the vibration issues reported if the issues are due to the overheating discs.

Would MB ever do this?, maybe but the downside of allowing drivers to change these parameters means MB will need to add a extra layer of controls in their control system to ensure all other automation is unaffected and remains safe.

In the case of adaptive cruise control, exposing these parameters up would require significant changes to their algorithms possibly reducing the usability of the feature in order to maintain safety so I'd not expect it to ever be applied here, certain not soon. Upgrading the non-AMG brakes would probably be the easier option for the company.

In my new W213, I tried the basic cruise control briefly (5 mins) and found it quite aggressive but as I prefer to control the speed of the car, I have not used it since.

Nb: Even though I used be be an engineer with some experience designing and programming robots/actuators in closed loop systems, what I wrote above is just a guess what MB might be able to do but given the complexity of all the control systems and their emphasis on safety, my ideas might all be unfeasible but worth sharing nonetheless
Old 09-28-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
I got my brake pads changed at 3k since they were making noise. Now my car has 16k mile on it and the vibration never corrected itself after that fix. My dealer tells me while my steering wheel is vibrating that some osculation is normal. More BS, and blamed my tires alignment before a mechanic even saw it.
You can test this while letting go of the steering wheel, braking and watching the steering wheel vibrate left to right/up down. Mine does it at around 40mph. I will try to film it to prove my dealer wrong.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
Originally Posted by Mbracer26
I got my brake pads changed at 3k since they were making noise. Now my car has 16k mile on it and the vibration never corrected itself after that fix. My dealer tells me while my steering wheel is vibrating that some osculation is normal. More BS, and blamed my tires alignment before a mechanic even saw it.
You can test this while letting go of the steering wheel, braking and watching the steering wheel vibrate left to right/up down. Mine does it at around 40mph. I will try to film it to prove my dealer wrong.
two questions
1. Is your car AMG equipped
2. Do you have the P3 self driving option
Robert
Old 09-29-2018, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Turn off lane keeping.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
several months without any problems where i only drove around my area, where speed limits are 110km max & i never drive longer than 1hr
last week did ONE trip from Marseille to Barcelona (500km) and immediately the problem came back.
so is it the speed at which i drive/brake… or the trip time…. or maybe a combination of the 2..????

have an appointement for the 8th of November even though no official fix exists,.. will see...

other issues they have to address:

1) radar: screen might light up red but no warning sound goes off (this only happens right after starting the car)

2) command:
- slow as sh*t
- I play music from a usb stick which often freezes at startup. I then must choose another source & go back to the usb for it to work again
- gives messages over and over again saying I need to get an internet subscription for certain features to work (which I have!)
- internet radio crashes sometimes & won't come back on till next start up
dealer said several months ago there' no update for my car, yet it seems there is, so will insist

3) speakers still vibrate/rattle when playing music or during phone calls - (makes a sound the tweeters have ruptured)

4) rear bumper stick out a bit on left & right. - not sure if somebody hit me during parking....

5) a sound is at front left wheel, like something is loose. problem with shock breaker?

6) pao roof squeaking

7) and the warped brakes issue

I love the way the car drives, but all these "small " problems do not make me very happy...

Last edited by Egonvdv; 10-25-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:03 PM

Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Originally Posted by robert c

two questions
1. Is your car AMG equipped
2. Do you have the P3 self driving option
Robert
Yes it is AMG equipped,
no it does not have P3/self driving option.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
I am really sorry to hear of your issues with the car. They are not cheap and we rightly have very high expectations. I do think that some of the cars issues are because they are so tech laden and complicated old mechanical engineering mixed with modern computer engineering which even microsft has never really got to grips with ( windows 10 is a joke).
i suspect the command issues will be resolved by some sort of reboot. So far mine has worked ok though the navi element is slow to locate place names. The audio 20 in my c clas destroyed 2 usb sticks with odd file formats corrupting them beyond saving though i have read other car manufacturers systems do the same...
The brake issue should surely be a good old mechanical solution but previous research indicated some people with different manufacturers cars were plagued and others not(as i possted further back) But the research indicated it was a material build up on the discs not discs warping. So far i tend to use the limiter and not drive pilot that much in part from your experience but the car at 2100km is fine(&#129310. I also try a bit of heavy braking occasionally. Out of interest do you live close to the med ie could saltwater be a factor?
not had trouble with the burmester in my c or e so far and indeed am very impressed. I have some iconic quad esl63 at home which the burmester compares well with. Is the tweeter noise on all sound sources or just some? Wondering if there is some sort of audio distortion arising from the source material. That is a whole different ball game but the clarity on the burmester system is not very forgiving ie its clarity lets you hear more and clipping and compression artefacts are more audible. Other half is a sound expert and is totally happy with the burmester set up considering it an excellent uncoloured system especially given its in a car. Or alternatively the crossovers on the speakers are not properly designed and they have bottomed out on too much bass getting through. We mainly listen to classical not rap or bass heavy music which might protect the system. Be interested in mb response.
wonder if the suspension noise is related to brake judder?
re bumper bet you it was a fellow citoyen. Love them but they are terrible for believing bumpers are just that to be bumped off😂 i am trying to shed my brit reserve (indeed these days i am ashamed to be english sorry eu but remember over 16 million voted to stay in the club!) and be more comfortable with people parking 2inches away or following me at a distance of 5inches from my back bumper😉
you are not being unreasonable in expecting better and in being disappointed and i hope things are resolved. Keep us updated.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the feedback: it's right front &c left rear speaker (the larger ones, not those in the corner of the door)
they definitely vibrate within the door, and are not ripped. depends on what sort of music i play,
but especially during phone call it gets bad..

yes i live right on the med, but no seawater gets directly on my car.
and i doubt it's the salty air…?
I was on a french board and there they basically laughed at the idea that it might have something to do with the adaptive cruise…

Let's see in 2 weeks...
Old 10-25-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Egonvdv
thanks for the feedback: it's right front &c left rear speaker (the larger ones, not those in the corner of the door)
they definitely vibrate within the door, and are not ripped. depends on what sort of music i play,
but especially during phone call it gets bad..

yes i live right on the med, but no seawater gets directly on my car.
and i doubt it's the salty air…?
I was on a french board and there they basically laughed at the idea that it might have something to do with the adaptive cruise…

Let's see in 2 weeks...
I had the speakers vibrate too, I noticed it in the drivers and rear right door speaker. they changed it but it didnt fully go away.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:48 PM

several months without any problems where i only drove around my area, where speed limits are 110km max & i never drive longer than 1hr
last week did ONE trip from Marseille to Barcelona (500km) and immediately the problem came back.
so is it the speed at which i drive/brake… or the trip time…. or maybe a combination of the 2..????

have an appointement for the 8th of November even though no official fix exists,.. will see...

other issues they have to address:

1) radar: screen might light up red but no warning sound goes off (this only happens right after starting the car)

2) command:
- slow as sh*t
- I play music from a usb stick which often freezes at startup. I then must choose another source & go back to the usb for it to work again
- gives messages over and over again saying I need to get an internet subscription for certain features to work (which I have!)
dealer said several months ago there' no update for my car, yet it seems there is, so will insist

3) speakers still vibrate/rattle when playing music or during phone calls - (makes a sound the tweeters have ruptured)

4) rear bumper stick out a bit on left & right. - not sure if somebody hit me during parking....

5) a sound is at front left wheel, like something is loose. problem with shock breaker?

6) pao roof squeaking

I love the way the car drives, but all these "small " problems do not make me very happy...
Sorry to hear the warping has returned as we suspected it would. I am a high mileage person and can offer this. Yes in my experience long high speed trips do make the warpage a bit worse but any hills at higher speeds always made the problem much worse for me especially if it was a vehicle that would constantly warp rotors. As I have said before some rotors seemed to me to warp quicker than other manufacturers. Also improper wheel installation or improper torque procedures will greatly increase the warping.
No braking rotor problems on my 2018 non AMG yet but we are trying to keep the mileage down for once and we are at only 8,000 miles or for you about 13,000km.
Aah I have a suggestion for the warped tweeters. Listening to "Let it Bleed" on your recent trip at max volume might be the cause!
Robert
Old 10-27-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
https://www.delphiautoparts.com/rus/en/toolbox/brake-judder

been having a search around the net. Does not seem to be just an mb issue. I wonder if dtv maybe the culprit but is its cause be linked to distronic.....would like an mb view.

interested in the french forum view it is not why do they think that should explain for our north american friends our neighbours use their brakes a lot as they have a penchant for travelling very close to other cars and often very fast😉
Old 10-27-2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by parkwood
https://www.delphiautoparts.com/rus/en/toolbox/brake-judder

been having a search around the net. Does not seem to be just an mb issue. I wonder if dtv maybe the culprit but is its cause be linked to distronic.....would like an mb view.

interested in the french forum view it is not why do they think that should explain for our north american friends our neighbours use their brakes a lot as they have a penchant for travelling very close to other cars and often very fast😉
Parkwood
No not an exclusive issue with MB. I have been with this issue since disc brakes started being installed on USA cars. True that it affects all vehicles but seems to me some vehicles more than others. I concur with the article you found and have noted that last paragraph. When I was actively doing brake refinishing I would always put a non directional finish on the disc followed by a good washing. Yes, I believe the P3 option non AMG MB equipped cars will exhibit this item more frequently. That last paragraph sums the issue but it isn't a big deal to refinish front rotors in my opinion.
My Lexus has 268,000 miles/432,000km and the rotors I have refinished probably 3 times and are still above minimum recommended thickness. Not by much now though.
Robert
Old 11-07-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211
Egonvdv did your dealer checked your alloys for any damages?
Old 11-08-2018, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks but no probs with the alloys.
as mention before i never had warped discs on ANY of mpy previous MBs (see signature), so intriguing why now on the w213...
car at dealer today (and tomorrow), let's see…...
Old 11-09-2018, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2) command:
- slow as sh*t

6) pao roof squeaking

All issues have been addressed but wil have to see with time if all works as it should.
(radar, speaker, pano roof)

only the warped discs remains a "mystery". dealer has now sent a "case report" to Mercedes
they have 1 other client with the same issue (also a w213) - to be continued...

The command update however is AMZAZING. it is so much faster now.
And a few things have improved, it's a bit more user friendly.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
That's good news and fingers crossed for you.

Out of curiosity, any idea how long it took to do the Comand update? Could I just pop by for it and wait around for a coffee?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they kept my car for 2 days to do all the above, but I think I read somewhere here that it can take 3-4 hrs.
The following users liked this post:
nycebo (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 PM

Just curious is the other car with warping discs P3 equipped and a non AMG? I have had an incident of warped rotors on a used vehicle I just purchased. The dealer sent me an email survey request of my purchase and I simply stated the car should have not been put on the lot in the condition it was in. The "prep" dept had to change a front tire for some reason and as I suspected the wheel was installed with an impact gun! Interesting the dealer fixed that and a tag bracket issue very soon after the survey. They actually turned all four rotors. My 2018 W213 the rotors are still perfect.
Robert
Old 11-12-2018, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

he did not tell me, but i don't think amg's are affected.
with this latest pair of discs (mounted in april) i only feel vibration when i brake at speeds over 120km, and it's rather subtle
Much better that the previous pair, but .. not perfect...
Old 01-12-2020, 06:40 PM

E300
I'm also experiencing a similar issue.
When going downhill at highway speeds and braking, I get a judder. This did not happen in my previous Mercedes (C-class)

I'm going to take it to the dealer soon to have it inspected. I don't know if I should mention "Topic number LI42.10-P-066910"
Old 01-12-2020, 08:36 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by Cerave
I'm also experiencing a similar issue.
When going downhill at highway speeds and braking, I get a judder. This did not happen in my previous Mercedes (C-class)

I'm going to take it to the dealer soon to have it inspected. I don't know if I should mention "Topic number LI42.10-P-066910"
They won’t care about any topic or anything except for what’s going directly with your car specifically
Old 01-12-2020, 08:47 PM

E300
Originally Posted by kingscorpian27
They won’t care about any topic or anything except for what’s going directly with your car specifically
good to know, thanks
I won’t waste my time mentioning it then.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
W205
Usually its the issue where the disc brakes wear out over time depending on your driving style. Your brake pads might be ok and all you just need is for your brake discs to be re machined and your problem is solved.
The following users liked this post:
Cerave (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 08:58 AM

E300
I bought this car certified just last month and I think because the previous owner didn’t drive it much, it may have contributed to this problem.

I’ll ask them to resurface the rotor. Hopefully they don’t give me a hard time. I really love this car.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
W205
Yeah mate. Hopefully that should solve the issue of vibrating when braking after 80 - 100 km/h

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car vibrating when breaking at speeds over 100km