E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Putting in an order for a W213 - Help appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 818 Likes on 649 Posts
I've had my car for about 2 months and 1,000 miles. So far I'm getting ~30 mpg with all town driving. I don't think the car has gotten above 6th gear. My fuel cost has been less than US$90 for 33 US gallons of Shell V-Power (98 RON) gasoline. Fuel is the least cost part of owning my car.
The following users liked this post:
W213Sal (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by E43uk
I thought i’d convert fuel economy into pounds & pence:-

based on average fuel costs over 15,000 miles using an average diesel cost of Ł1.18/litre and an average petrol cost of Ł1.16/litre.

My E43 is averaging 25 mpg (lots of short trips) = circa Ł3,156 per year.

Not sure what the diesel E classes are averaging but assuming 50 mpg = circa Ł1,605 per year.

Personally i’m comfortable with the extra Ł1,500 per year...depreciation is a far bigger factor to concider.
Interesting, how do you calculate depreciation? Over here petrol cars would depreciate more anyway as well. Over 3 years I expect to lose about 35% of value.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by petee1997
Diesels were never very popular in Canada or the US, but since the VW fiasco, all diesels have been withdrawn. I believe the only diesels still being sold are commercial vehicles. The price of gas(petrol) here is $1.41 per L for 91 octane.
The opposite is true here. Mercedes was pretty much the last one who's petrols were still popular up until 2009. After that you see the odd Audi A3 or A4 with a TFSI engine, but everything else is a diesel.

Originally Posted by ua549
In the US diesel fuel is priced about the same as super premium gasoline. That is about 20% higher than regular grade gasoline most cars use. Fuel taxes are higher for diesel than gasoline.
Main thing is that you get about 20-25% more out of diesel in terms of mileage. However, if I lived in America I'd never drive a diesel lol because petrol is way too cheap.

Originally Posted by ua549
I've had my car for about 2 months and 1,000 miles. So far I'm getting ~30 mpg with all town driving. I don't think the car has gotten above 6th gear. My fuel cost has been less than US$90 for 33 US gallons of Shell V-Power (98 RON) gasoline. Fuel is the least cost part of owning my car.
I think the MPG in america and UK is a bit different. MPG I was talking to E43UK about is the UK one, the E200D's quoted figure is around 60MPG (UK) (4L/100Km), the E300 is quoted to I think 6.7L/100Km which is still very good

Does mercedes require you to put in 98 octane? Over here I think european regulations require that % of bioethanol be blended into all petrol, so our octane rating is pretty high anyway even in the regular, not very many petrol stations offer premium gasoline
Old 11-06-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E43 AMG
Originally Posted by W213Sal
Interesting, how do you calculate depreciation? Over here petrol cars would depreciate more anyway as well. Over 3 years I expect to lose about 35% of value.
I'll be amazed/happy if I get 50% back after 3 years.....I tend to swap before 3 years and being rather lazy I just take what the dealership will give me as a PX.

Since ordering the car 4ish months ago I haven't seen a single other E43 on the road which might help residual values?.

I was also a little heavy handed with the options which won’t help!.

Last edited by E43uk; 11-06-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w213 220d Aut, SE-Edition, Business Package, Night Package,
Pick the right engine!

I have just picked my w213 220d.

I think you should resider your choice of Engine.
I tried both 200d and 220d.
I picked the later and decided to go with less tech.

I have 18" rims "Night Package" and Avantgarde.

Good luck with your new car!

Originally Posted by W213Sal
Hi Guys,

First post.... I live in Ireland and drive a W211 (2005) think it's time to change so I've put a deposit down for a W213 (Jan Delivery) I haven't picked out the colour etc

Going for
E200d Exclusive (Luxury for americans)
Going for Technology Pack (Comand + Widescreen + HUD) and Driving Assistance Plus (Drivepilot)

Bit I need help with:
I know it's completely one's own preference but I need help on interior and exterior colour,

my fav colour in mercedes is Teal (think it was only available in W211) and that is the colour of my W211, but it's not available in W213

Originally for the W213 I decided on Citrine (Brown) and beige interior, but a lot of people are saying it looks like poo brown when not polished etc

I didn't have a second choice so I'm thinking going Obisidian Black with beige interior (I like nut brown but might be too dark...) I originally didn't want my car to be a 50 shade of grey but looks like mercedes don't want us picking decent colours (I don't want Kallite Green or Cavansite Blue cause my XTrail is a similar colour)

Also...

window tinting...

We are allowed 35% in the front (must let 65% light in) and we can go as dark as we like on the back.... what do you guys think is sensible? is 60% (40% light in) too dark/light? is 70% good? I'm thinking 30/60 or 30/70.

Thanks guys!

EDIT:

also looking for opinion on wheels.... I will be on steel springs and want max comfort so I think it'd be smart to stick to either stock (ugly) 17s or go 18s?

I wish there was a smaller version of the 20" multi-spoke. I think there is a 19" version for the C class.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E400 Wagon
E Alternatives

Originally Posted by petee1997
Diesels were never very popular in Canada or the US, but since the VW fiasco, all diesels have been withdrawn. I believe the only diesels still being sold are commercial vehicles. The price of gas(petrol) here is $1.41 per L for 91 octane.

I suppose this depends on where you live in Canada. When we got our R 320 in 2007 diesel was about $0.80/l and considering diesels are quite efficient we could do a 1100km run from BC to AB with a ski box on the roof and 4 people in the vehicle on a single tank. The car just turned over 316,000 km and we traded it for a E400 Wagon. If I had a choice I would take a 4Matic diesel wagon - it seems that the whole world figured out that diesels are efficient except US and by association Canada which has not say in what cars will be coming here. In fact the only reason we got the R320 is because a 4Matic diesel E Class was not available and still is not. In fact all we get is E400 or E63 now, in Germany I think there are 11 engine options on E class!

I think the 2018s are going to see the return of the E300 which is grossly underpowered for the E but fine on C wagons, and of course cheaper Artico trim instead of leather which is a shame because ARTICO on seats in cold climate cracks faster then an over baked cheesecake.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Is the 220d powerful enough

Am about to start the discussion on whether to change my 2015 c205 estate or keep it another year. My mercedes history is a 2007 220cdi s211 estate, 2015 glk 220d 4matic and the current 250d 4matic cclass estate.

other half hated the s211with a passion as the most uncomfortable car we had ever had the misfortune to own! It was an avantgarde with lowered suspension and for my other half thumped and banged its way along even our very good non potholed roads causing severe audio and physical discomfort...........none of our friends could understand thinking the car quite comfortable....that car is still going strong with friends though it now feels rather dated and the engine sounds a lot noisier in the cabin than our current c.

the glk also had the 220d and in both cars it felt powerful enough but we could only get the c with 4matic in 250d format at the time of ordering (the glk was considered an improvement by other half but mercedes still needed to do better in their opinion!). The c has been a total success at last with my partner (we have airmatic which helps) and the 250d is a delight so powerful when needed but happy to plod along at our restrictive speeds too (france).

france is also engaged in the petrol diesel debate and diesel is going up in price to make petrol a more attractive option (note going up not petrol coming down!). Here as in the uk air pollution (which we export very effectivly from paris to london courtesy of the jet stream) is the driver. But rightly so the government has not loss sight of the more dangerous pollution caused by co2. So as in most european countries the level of co2 a car produces is a big factor in the purchase price. We pay a bonus malus at the time of purchase direct to the government. It is reviewed yearly and rates have exploded this year. 2017 a co2 output of 132g/km is 113 euro malus payment. In 2018 it will be 353 euro. 140g/km is now 1050 euro 185g/km and over is 10, 500 euro just to register the car no discounts allowed! So the drive to electric and low co2 is really on. The desirable 6 cylinder engines of either fuel are now well off the table. hybrid is the only choice but thus far mercedes do not seem to have got it sorted and the high petrol consumption for my sort of driving puts me off albeit we have lots of electric charging points currently free dotted about our rural department. But it may expalin to our north american cousins why diesel and the 220d is so important to mercedes in mainland europe.

I am interested in the eclass as it seems to take all the improvements of the design of the c and adds to them to give a very comfortable car but I am most concerned about the loss of torque in the new 220d engine v the 250d(400 down from 500) I currently enjoy driving so much. Given I never specifically wanted a 250d in the old engine it seems a bit silly but now I am used to it will I miss it? Any thoughts anyone?
Old 12-30-2017, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 818 Likes on 649 Posts
Have you looked at the E 350 e hybrid? IIRC it puts out about 50g/km CO2.