E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

What happened to alarm chirp sound when locking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon
What happened to alarm chirp sound when locking?

Why do more and more models simply use the horn when locking the car? Is the unit that produces the "chirp" sound SO expensive that they nixed it? Does anyone know which current models still feature the "chirp" sound upon locking? When test driving a 2017 E300 before making a decision, I noticed it used the horn as the lock confirmation. I thought maybe when MB first started using the horn instead of the chirp that there was a manufacturing bottleneck on the "chirp" unit but now I just think they're cutting costs.
This may seem like an unnecessary concern, but I feel like locking an E wagon shouldn't sound the same as a truck. Especially considering all BMW/Audi models (from A3 to A8 and 2 series to 7 series) have the same locking/unlocking tones that aren't the horn...
Old 10-27-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Are locking sounds common where you are? In the UK, I can't actually remember the last time I heard a car make a noise when it locks, was never a popular thing here anyway. The central locking on just about every car I've owned is plenty loud enough for me to know it's locked itself.

When I accidently set the horn to sound on locking shortly after getting this one (I managed to do it cleaning the awful black plastic console with COMAND still switched on!), and it went off when I parked the car in a public place, I suddenly felt very sekf conscious and (in best British fashion) apologetic towards those around me that I'd just mildly startled.

So perhaps the reason they use the horn is that not many markets want locking noise hence they build for the lowest common denominator but keep the function by using the horn which is fitted for all (most?) markets.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I have my locking sound disabled. I look at the side mirror. If it is folding or folded, the car is locked.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:06 PM

2018 E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
Are locking sounds common where you are? In the UK, I can't actually remember the last time I heard a car make a noise when it locks, was never a popular thing here anyway. The central locking on just about every car I've owned is plenty loud enough for me to know it's locked itself.

When I accidently set the horn to sound on locking shortly after getting this one (I managed to do it cleaning the awful black plastic console with COMAND still switched on!), and it went off when I parked the car in a public place, I suddenly felt very sekf conscious and (in best British fashion) apologetic towards those around me that I'd just mildly startled.

So perhaps the reason they use the horn is that not many markets want locking noise hence they build for the lowest common denominator but keep the function by using the horn which is fitted for all (most?) markets.
This is the very subtle sound I'm talking about that my 2008 E350 wagon had, which my 2016 wagon did not have, which I suspect the 2018 wagon will not have either when it's delivered in February.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
My salesman said that they removed the chirp because it was scaring people. I dont know about anyone else, but a honk scares me and makes me instinctively look for something wrong happening. I much prefer the chirp. Since I cant have it, I turned it off and now just look at the side mirrors as well.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:32 PM

2018 E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by joshg1001
My salesman said that they removed the chirp because it was scaring people. I dont know about anyone else, but a honk scares me and makes me instinctively look for something wrong happening. I much prefer the chirp. Since I cant have it, I turned it off and now just look at the side mirrors as well.
That's what I ended up doing on the '16 wagon, but I'd still prefer the chirp/flash of lights/mirrors folding to be sure the car is locked, especially since the mirrors barely folded on the W212.