E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Programming garage door with a keyless entry pad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2017 | 09:32 AM

2018 E300 4Matic
Programming garage door with a keyless entry pad?

I am wondering is it possible to program the car without buying a remote control for the garage, which currently using a keyless entry pad to open and close the door?

The keyless pad is from Chamberlain, and I reckon it is this model:
https://www.chamberlain.com/clicker-...ireless-keypad

All the videos I found online and user manual shows I need to program the garage with a remote, nowhere mentioned if a keyless entry pad would also work.

My understanding the keyless entry pad is also using radio to communicate with the garage door remotely. So theoretically, it works just like a remote control but with a PIN.

Thank you.
Old 12-01-2017 | 09:45 AM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
It looks like this is one that is not hard wired, so it must be producing the correct frequency when you enter the correct touchpad PIN. Therefore, it should work as long as you can take it into the car with you to send the right frequency to the garage door opener, which will be the same as if you held a remote in your hand.
Old 12-01-2017 | 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You will need to use a remote so the car's home link can set its frequency. A button on the door opener can be used to sync the rolling code. Try using your keyless entry pad as a remote. If that fails buy a remote priced from about $15 on Amazon.
Old 12-01-2017 | 10:48 AM

2018 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Long Islander
It looks like this is one that is not hard wired, so it must be producing the correct frequency when you enter the correct touchpad PIN. Therefore, it should work as long as you can take it into the car with you to send the right frequency to the garage door opener, which will be the same as if you held a remote in your hand.
Thanks.

I don't think it is hard wired. It is just installed on the frame of garage door and communicate with the garage door motor wirelessly.

But keep it in the car and enter a PIN every time open and close the garage door seems a hassle. If this is the case, I probably spend 30-40 dollars to get a remote instead.
Old 12-01-2017 | 10:52 AM

2018 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ua549
You will need to use a remote so the car's home link can set its frequency. A button on the door opener can be used to sync the rolling code. Try using your keyless entry pad as a remote. If that fails buy a remote priced from about $15 on Amazon.
So you are saying maybe I could take the keypad off from the wall and bring it inside the car, treat it like a remote control when program the car right? I guess they function the same way, just the keypad has a PIN but the remote control doesn't.

Sure, I will try that, otherwise will buy a universal remote either online or from local shop.

Thank you.

P.S. how's your car? I just got mine last week, everything perfect but it is a pity North America version doesn't have the remote parking feature for 2018 model.
Old 12-04-2017 | 11:11 AM

2018 E300 4Matic
Finally, found the remote and paired with the garage door following the rolling code procedure. It works perfect.
Old 12-06-2017 | 06:07 PM

2018 Audi S6
Was curious to hear if the keyless kepyad worked or not, but guess you didn't have to try. Yes, the keypad acts like a remote, but I was curious if it keeps transmitting when you hold the 'enter' button long enough, or it cuts off after a couple of seconds. Usually it takes about 4 or 5 for car systems to start blinking fast. Guess we'll have to wait for somebody else to try it. He he.
Old 12-08-2017 | 11:23 AM

2018 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by elp_jc
Was curious to hear if the keyless kepyad worked or not, but guess you didn't have to try. Yes, the keypad acts like a remote, but I was curious if it keeps transmitting when you hold the 'enter' button long enough, or it cuts off after a couple of seconds. Usually it takes about 4 or 5 for car systems to start blinking fast. Guess we'll have to wait for somebody else to try it. He he.
I will give it try in the weekend for the keyless entry pad.

When I paired with the remote, it only took 1-2 seconds to program it even with the rolling code, much faster than I expect.
Old 12-14-2017 | 12:35 PM

E220d
Is this feature unavailable for UK cars? Had a quick look - no buttons on my rearview mirror (2017 E220D estate), but then again I don't remember seeing or missing an optional extra at the time?
Old 12-14-2017 | 01:32 PM

2018 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by psychoeric
Is this feature unavailable for UK cars? Had a quick look - no buttons on my rearview mirror (2017 E220D estate), but then again I don't remember seeing or missing an optional extra at the time?
Not sure the spec difference.
This is the Canada and US version of W213 E class manual: https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content...s_manuals.html

If you go to Page 149, 150, you should see some instructions for programming garage remote to the car.