E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Deactivating Keyless-Go

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
none yet
Deactivating Keyless-Go

Does anyone know if Keyless-Go can be deactivated for extended periods? The manual describes a short-term shut off, but Keyless-Go starts back up when any remote buttong is pushed.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
That's how it's deactivated and re-activated. I believe it's two presses of the lock button to deactivate it. Then to reactivate it, press the unlock button once. How else do you expect to activate it? For long term storage, just take the battery out.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
That only deactivates the key fob, not the system in the car.
One can always enter the car using the physical key in the slot on the bottom of the driver's door handle.

Last edited by ua549; 12-06-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Audi S6
I suspect OP is asking in order to preserve the battery (I'm sure this applies only with the alarm off). If that's the case, most modern cars are 'smart' enough to progressively deactivate all parasitic drains. After about 20 minutes, all interior and exterior lights are shut off in most cars. Then after a day or two, the perimeter key sensing. And after a week or two, all other passive functions, so if you approach the car after that, no welcoming lights would turn on, etc. You'd have to 'wake up' the car by either activating the door handle, or pressing a button on the remote. I honestly don't think removing or disconnecting the battery is necessary on any modern car... but, you need to charge it every once in a while, since by the time the systems shut down, it'd be discharged significantly already. I also recommend connecting a pigtail directly to the battery; otherwise, if you open a door to connect it to a 12V outlet, you already 'woke up' the car, and would go thru another drain period. Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:52 PM

none yet
Actually, I am asking for two reasons. First, I am old school and enjoy using the fob to "manually" lock and unlock the doors with button pushing.

Second, given some recent thefts that use repeater technology, I would rather not have the car and key fob always talking with each other, and susceptible to hacking.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
As mentioned before, pressing unlock reactivates keyless-go therefore get used to double pressing the lock button and sorting the keys in a faraday cage.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
But if he double clics lock every time, he does not need to put it in a faraday cage.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pcar98
Actually, I am asking for two reasons. First, I am old school and enjoy using the fob to "manually" lock and unlock the doors with button pushing.

Second, given some recent thefts that use repeater technology, I would rather not have the car and key fob always talking with each other, and susceptible to hacking.
Coming from a car that didn't have keyless go, I would think it's more enjoyable to just walk up to the car and have the doors open without reaching into your pocket to hit any buttons. Same with locking the car, very handy especially if you have items in your hands so you don't even have to reach into your pocket to find the keys. I'm not worried about the hacking part, that's why you have insurance. But if I were, I'd just put the keys in a faraday cage which could be any sized metal box.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
If you are worried about your car getting jacked just put your key in a tin box at night, problem solved. Keys are sooooooooooo 20th century.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E43
I thought the way car thieves grab your code is when you walk away from the car and manually lock the doors from a short distance. they intercept that transmission. If you don't push the lock/unlock button but rather push the physical button on the door handle, I thought the transmission range is limited to a couple of feet and as long as there isn't someone standing beside you, there is no way to "intercept" a signal.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Key fob signals can go several yards.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM

none yet
Originally Posted by BobRae99
I thought the way car thieves grab your code is when you walk away from the car and manually lock the doors from a short distance. they intercept that transmission. If you don't push the lock/unlock button but rather push the physical button on the door handle, I thought the transmission range is limited to a couple of feet and as long as there isn't someone standing beside you, there is no way to "intercept" a signal.
No, the "keyless" systems are always trying to talk to each other, in order to see if the fob is near the car. What the new hacking technology does is detect the signal the car sends out and boosts that so it reaches the fob (which might be in your house). When the fob responds, the hackers boost that signal, and the car thinks the key is nearby and allows the doors to unlock, and the ignition to start with the button.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Im still old school to an extent where I like to take the key out of my pocket and click the button on the key fob to lock and unlock my E. (i'm only 24 BTW).

BUT, I do enjoy being able to start the car with a push of a button.

When I lock my E, I always hit the lick button twice, then when I try to use the door handle to unlock the door (or kick my foot under the rear bumper for the trunk to open) I always wonder why it doesn't work. It took me about 6 months for someone to finally tell me about the double-click-of-the-lock feature (because Google wasn't helping me at the time).
Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by makris0000
Im still old school to an extent where I like to take the key out of my pocket and click the button on the key fob to lock and unlock my E. (i'm only 24 BTW).

BUT, I do enjoy being able to start the car with a push of a button.

When I lock my E, I always hit the lick button twice, then when I try to use the door handle to unlock the door (or kick my foot under the rear bumper for the trunk to open) I always wonder why it doesn't work. It took me about 6 months for someone to finally tell me about the double-click-of-the-lock feature (because Google wasn't helping me at the time).
It's so easy to lock it with the sensor, sometimes when I'm going behind the car, I just tap the one on the rear passenger doors. Way quicker than taking the fob out of your pocket to find the right button, all it takes is a brush of the hand before it picks it up and locks. Using the fob means taking the fob out of your pocket, hitting it twice, then putting it back into your pocket.

The deactivation sequence is in the manual. Very few people read it I guess.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
It's so easy to lock it with the sensor, sometimes when I'm going behind the car, I just tap the one on the rear passenger doors. Way quicker than taking the fob out of your pocket to find the right button, all it takes is a brush of the hand before it picks it up and locks. Using the fob means taking the fob out of your pocket, hitting it twice, then putting it back into your pocket.

The deactivation sequence is in the manual. Very few people read it I guess.
Ill use the pads on the door handles sometimes, but I hate keeping keys in my pocket because I have an irrational feat that I will somehow unlock the car with the fob being in my pocket and then someone will steal my car. That hasn't happened, but I have unlocked, opened the trunk, and hit the panic button from my pocket before with this car and previous cars.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When unlocking the car, if the door isn't opened within a few seconds the car will relock automatically.