E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Are Mercedes Still QUIET?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S Class
Are Mercedes Still QUIET?

Noting that cars are getting louder, due to a potential "hidden" inflation idea - and the requirements for lighter materials I was surprised at how quiet an A180 is. Befuddled in-fact.

I say this because I have owned 2 C Classes, 1 CLK and an E350, they were whisper quiet. I then test drove a newer 14 ( but not latest E350 and found it noisy ).

Leaving the brand after hideous franchise behavoir and no support from the manufacturer, I sadly assumed that despite them being really quiet I would stand far back and stick with BMW.

I also then did the below review on the latest E220 and was surprised that it was unusually loud ( tyres ) This massively contradicts Clarkson's review where he says its "remarkably quiet". Was he fibbing, for creative?

In the below car, I found it beautiful to drive, yet too noisy, so much so, that I decided despite its brilliance I would not buy one. Way too much tyre noise, and the seat was for people with tiny leg width.

Then... I was given an A180 this week. A much cheaper car. And its quieter!

For example 3db quieter than the latest G30 5 Series, easier to drive and an addictive and extremely high quality interior.

I then read What Car's review which states the Golf and the A3 are both quieter than the A Class, Again - more bollocks. Perhaps the Golf on 14inch wheels is quieter than the AMG line A Class but like for like I disagree wholly.

So I thought I would pose a discussion with the people who actually drive the cars, have a history with them.

What are your thoughts, are they still quiet, and if so - why do I note the A180 to appear to be more enjoyable than the 55k EClass I tested? Other than that, if you are interested here is a link to the film I made in a posh one.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
My '18 E300 with the acoustic comfort package is very, very quiet on the inside, much quieter than my BMW 535i. My only complaint is the feature "B63 Engine noise over speaker" that cannot be turned off. It is not on all E Class models. That said, I bought the acoustic comfort package for the infrared blocking glass. That glass also blocks more sound than standard auto glass.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
hold on, this B63 thingy.. it generates a fake engine sound in the cabin? Why the F would anyone want that...????
Old 12-13-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
hold on, this B63 thingy.. it generates a fake engine sound in the cabin? Why the F would anyone want that...????
I know, stupid idea came from Aston Martin or BMW can't remember about 15 years ago, now everyone is doing it, and it needs to fking stop. Toyota have it on the GT86. On the GT86/BRZ it's physically piped in (not through speakers) which is even more rediculous although easier fix.