E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Music media file organization requirements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C300W
rustybear3, I read elsewhere on this website that voice commands for music only work for iPhone when it is plugged into USB. I tried it with my iPhone 6S on my 2019 C300, and confirmed that voice commands for music worked with USB but not Bluetooth. (Who knows, I may have read it from you??)

Last edited by jkoplen; 01-10-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by jkoplen
rustybear3, I read elsewhere on this website that voice commands for music only work for iPhone when it is plugged into USB. I tried it with my iPhone 6S on my 2019 C300, and confirmed that voice commands for music worked with USB but not Bluetooth. (Who knows, I may have read it from you??)
Voice commands works for me whether iPhone is plugged in or not!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
E53 AMG
Need some guidance on what I am doing wrong or what the easy way is.
I am really struggling with the media interface on MB. I have a lot of different types of music - German, Arabic, Country, Rock, Pop, Electronica, Bollywood, Devotional etc.
Voice just does not work, ex "play Mein Herz Brennt" and car struggles, might open might contacts or look for navigation. To find a song is a nightmare. My songs are on a SD card. So I have go to search, then the keypad comes up, the go to the type option before I can search. The car does not have playlist option or tracks recently played, most played etc. Impossible to do anything while driving except when I use my phone coz then Google takes over thankfully. Coming from an Audi (2013), this is really really hard.
Appreciate any help.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:46 AM

E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by chasesunny
Need some guidance on what I am doing wrong or what the easy way is.
I am really struggling with the media interface on MB. I have a lot of different types of music - German, Arabic, Country, Rock, Pop, Electronica, Bollywood, Devotional etc.
Voice just does not work, ex "play Mein Herz Brennt" and car struggles, might open might contacts or look for navigation. To find a song is a nightmare. My songs are on a SD card. So I have go to search, then the keypad comes up, the go to the type option before I can search. The car does not have playlist option or tracks recently played, most played etc. Impossible to do anything while driving except when I use my phone coz then Google takes over thankfully. Coming from an Audi (2013), this is really really hard.
Appreciate any help.
I think you need to organise your music files on the SD card first and create some playlists if you want to see them in the menu. I have music in folders by artist/album title and when I search I can find folders and albums and individual songs.. my playlists are all M3u files (standard for playlists) and on search the Playlist option comes up and I can select which one I want with further options to Shuffle etc. You can also use the ‘Favourites’ menu if you want to auto shuffle etc.
it can be a little confusing at first, but I found it worked best with clear organisation on the card formatted as ExFAT.
The following users liked this post:
chasesunny (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by jkoplen
Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK

Voice commands works for me whether iPhone is plugged in or not!

My problem is that if I plug my iphone via USB wire, I automatically enter carplay mode. Is there a way of plugging in the iphone without this happening? Makes it annoying if I want to use COMMAND NAV.

Of course, Siri in Carplay works just fine in voice command mode.....It's the bluetooth non-carplay mode I'm having trouble with.

JDPEClassUK, maybe because it's the UK, but so far here in the USA (at least with my iphone 6) it recognizes no voice commands for music selection. I was told by my dealer, that because I was using bluetooth, that bluetooth itself will not recognize voice commands for music. Yet, I swear in my past Cadillac ATS, I was able to do so. A MB quirk?

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
did u try to re-pair phone? sometimes it works when experiencing probs
Yes I did; no help.

Last edited by rustybear3; 01-11-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 AM

E Class Estate S213
Rustybear3 - you may be right about it being a UK thing. I can connect my pipho e via USB and not start carplay. There is a setting in Comand on my model not to auto start CarPlay in connection.

Just confirmed Med voice commands work with both usb and Bluetooth here! MB tech 🙄🙄
Old 01-11-2019, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Rustybear3 - you may be right about it being a UK thing. I can connect my pipho e via USB and not start carplay. There is a setting in Comand on my model not to auto start CarPlay in connection.

Just confirmed Med voice commands work with both usb and Bluetooth here! MB tech ����
Ah....I'll check into my settings later this morning to disable auto car play. Will check to at least see if it works wired up.

Last edited by rustybear3; 01-11-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
I navigate often by clicking the home button. Then moving the comand wheel up highlight the android auto icon and I click to launch.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
E53 AMG

I think you need to organise your music files on the SD card first and create some playlists if you want to see them in the menu. I have music in folders by artist/album title and when I search I can find folders and albums and individual songs.. my playlists are all M3u files (standard for playlists) and on search the Playlist option comes up and I can select which one I want with further options to Shuffle etc. You can also use the ‘Favourites’ menu if you want to auto shuffle etc.
it can be a little confusing at first, but I found it worked best with clear organisation on the card formatted as ExFAT.
Thanks. I am going to try that on the weekend. Will also try just hooking up an old iPod in there to see if that acts as a better music player.
What I've done so far is moved a mix of songs on my Note 9 and Google does the rest. Much much easier.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just confirmed Med voice commands work with both usb and Bluetooth here! MB tech 🙄🙄
Well.I disabled the auto apple car play and still can't get the command function to work either wired or bluetooth...very discouraging!
Old 04-30-2021, 05:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
s class
Smile SOLVED USB Flac files

Ok, so I work in IT and tried something really stupid as technology is mostly stupid... I just changed the EXTENSION from .flac to .mp3
Unbelievably, the car (s class with standard Burmister) just recognised all the music files without any issues, so it clearly ignores the extensions.
This goes against all sensible conventions I know, but it works, all my old flac files now on USB and working no issues with titles or info.
Cheers JP
see commonsensethinking.co.uk for more solutions...
Old 04-30-2021, 10:47 AM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
I'm considering trading my W212 for a W213. For my model year W212 my only option for music was to make my own CD. All of my music files are in .mp4 which was the format for my Sony iPod years ago but the MB CD system would only recognize .mp3 so I had to rip all my files into .mp3 format as they were loaded onto the CD. Anyone know if the W213 will accept .mp4 on an SD card or thumb drive? My newer Audi accepts .mp4 on an SD card.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasE
I'm considering trading my W212 for a W213. For my model year W212 my only option for music was to make my own CD. All of my music files are in .mp4 which was the format for my Sony iPod years ago but the MB CD system would only recognize .mp3 so I had to rip all my files into .mp3 format as they were loaded onto the CD. Anyone know if the W213 will accept .mp4 on an SD card or thumb drive? My newer Audi accepts .mp4 on an SD card.
In my '18 E300 with the Burmester system I play both flac and mp3 music along with mp4 video without any issues. I've neither heard of mp4 music nor tried it. If it similar to a video sound track it should play OK. Take an SD with music to your dealer and try it.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by jph99
Ok, so I work in IT and tried something really stupid as technology is mostly stupid... I just changed the EXTENSION from .flac to .mp3
Unbelievably, the car (s class with standard Burmister) just recognised all the music files without any issues, so it clearly ignores the extensions.
This goes against all sensible conventions I know, but it works, all my old flac files now on USB and working no issues with titles or info.
Cheers JP
see commonsensethinking.co.uk for more solutions...
As a science experiment that is cool to find out but practically .flac is about 10 x the size of mp3 so I really fail to see the benefit of actually simply just remming the file extension. Also depending on how the files were renamed as in Mac or PC sometimes the software simply adds the 'second' extension to the file to make it look like it is changed but it looks like musicfile.mp3.flac where the flac will simply be graded out - very normal on Mac. Now I will go and try this myself.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IMO file size doesn't matter when it comes to music storage.
1 TB standard SD cards are available, but expensive.
512 GB microSD cards with an adapter are available from $20or so and up.
IIRC the MB entertainment system is limited to 55,000 files.
That's more than enough for me.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:31 PM

E400 Wagon
I suppose if you are not using your phone to play or steam your music then it makes sense. Still I doubt that most people will be able to tell a difference in a car between a decently ripped mp3 and a flac file but to each his own.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Szamot
I suppose if you are not using your phone to play or steam your music then it makes sense. Still I doubt that most people will be able to tell a difference in a car between a decently ripped mp3 and a flac file but to each his own.
No, but it does matter on my home system. I don't want to keep 2 sets of music so I only keep flac music files.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:50 PM

E400 Wagon
Same boat..... each car needs something different ...
Old 05-01-2021, 12:02 PM

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
W213 220d from 2016
I have a problem with the media/sd card function... it has been working flawlessly for awhile. I have been rotating all my music(about 600 files) but now it will not rotate all, it simply rotates between 2
albums(all albums have their own folder)

I could understand if it was only 1, as the option of rotating one album is possible, but its rotating between 2(out of atleast 20)

its like the rest of the music is just gone...
Old 05-01-2021, 12:42 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by JakeW213
I have a problem with the media/sd card function... it has been working flawlessly for awhile. I have been rotating all my music(about 600 files) but now it will not rotate all, it simply rotates between 2
albums(all albums have their own folder)

I could understand if it was only 1, as the option of rotating one album is possible, but its rotating between 2(out of atleast 20)

its like the rest of the music is just gone...
First thing I'd try would be a different SD card, and if that worked I'd either use that card or reformat the card giving me problems and recopy all of my music files to it.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SD cards can go bad unexpectedly because of read/write wear.