E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E400 Wagon Delivered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E400 Wagon
E400 Wagon Delivered

Finally after a bit of a wait I had a chance to pick up my new toy. This one replaced the well travelled R320 with just a touch over 316,000 km on it.

E400S4M - E400 4Matic Wagon in Iridium Silver Metallic
- MPP - Premium Package
- MXP - Exclusive Package
- MTP - Technology Package
- 489 - Air Body Control Suspension
- 872 - Heated Rear Seats
- 51U - Black Roof Liner
- RQR - 18inch AMG Wheels
-736 - Dark Ash Wood Trim
- 3M Wrap on the front

It's a great upgrade from the R320, but - the piano black centre console is annoying, I think it scratches as you are looking at it, and in my view it is the worse and cheapest part of this car. I am also not crazy about the run flat tires but I guess that is how the Merc rolls now saving weight and space. The lighting package that turns the inside of the car into a themed vodka bar look is not something I would get if it came as its own package. I will need to add and replace some thing on this vehicle.

1. do something about the centre console and perhaps replace it with the same open pore black ash trim if/when available
2. get cross bars to mount the Merc ski box on top
3. mud guards - I guess Merc in Canada does not sell these anymore?
4. rear bumper stainless steal protector - again no Merc option for this car?
5. possibly RENNtech ECU upgrade?
6. winter wheels and tires

The decals have already been removed from the car by the dealer so - a clean slate it is. Other suggestions?

For now the car is in permanent Sport+ and grunts away so I expect to have ZERO bonus Green Performance but that's what fun is all about.

The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (01-07-2018)
Old 12-28-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
none yet
wow nice
Old 12-28-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes E400 wagon (formerly 1995 Honda Accord EX sedan)
Your wagon is lovely. On the mud flaps: I ordered them from the dealer and had them installed before the car was (re)delivered to me in the US after European delivery. It is good to have them in Alaska, where there are so often stones on the road. Others will not be so likely to be hit by one thrown up by my car.

We did notice on our long drive through Canada, however, when we encountered wet, sticky snow (when temperatures hover around freezing), that the mud flaps tend to aggravate the accumulation of snow up in the wheel wells and around the tires, and one must clear out the snow promptly before it freezes, because if it builds up, it causes trouble in driving, particularly in making turns.

I was less successful in getting a block heater installed on the car before the trip: it is standard on the Canadian model, but not currently available for the US model. By ordering the requisite parts from a Canadian dealer, however, I will be able to have it installed by my US dealer. You might be able to do the same thing in reverse by ordering mud flaps from a US dealer. Check with your Canadian dealer first to be sure you do not need to do some other modification to install them on a Canadian wagon. In the case of the block heater, I had to get a few Canadian parts: not the heater itself (which is the same as on the previous wagon), but the requisite cable and the lower radiator hose, which has to have a different bend in it for the block heater.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
none yet
Nice looking car. I have had my wagon for two weeks and I agree with most of your impressions. Here is what I have done and plan to do to address the items on your list:

1. do something about the centre console and perhaps replace it with the same open pore black ash trim if/when available
--I would like to do this, also. I think I have seen one owner report doing this online.

--Fedex delivered the MB bars today and I had time to install these before dinner. Very sturdy and rigid. I had checked into alternatives like Thule, but they are more than double the cost, factoring in locks and keys. I will be mounting my extra long Thule ski box (for nordic skis), and then a couple of bike holders in the summer.

--I ordered a set of W213 sedan guards from China, and at the low ebay price, I will not hesitate to make modifications to get them to fit.

--Nothing I have seen yet. WeatherTech makes a rear cargo area protector mat with a flap that folds out. I may try installing an extra-thick clear film on the "threshold".

--I don't feel the need for this (yet).

--I already installed Blizzaks on the original AMG wheels. Fedex also delivered a set of new MB basic E400 wheels, and I will remount the all season fun flat tires on these. BTW, I actually prefer the look of the basic wheels to the AMG style.

You also mentioned the lack of a spare tire. I found a late model MB tire change kit (jack and tools) on ebay, plus a small 12V air compressor and tire plug kit, and stored these and a few other things in the space below the folding 3rd row seats. For trips out of town, I plan to carry an extra wheel and tire (from whichever summer or winter set I do not have on the car).
Old 12-29-2017, 12:21 AM

E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by Forty9
Your wagon is lovely. On the mud flaps: I ordered them from the dealer and had them installed before the car was (re)delivered to me in the US after European delivery. It is good to have them in Alaska, where there are so often stones on the road. Others will not be so likely to be hit by one thrown up by my car.

We did notice on our long drive through Canada, however, when we encountered wet, sticky snow (when temperatures hover around freezing), that the mud flaps tend to aggravate the accumulation of snow up in the wheel wells and around the tires, and one must clear out the snow promptly before it freezes, because if it builds up, it causes trouble in driving, particularly in making turns.

I was less successful in getting a block heater installed on the car before the trip: it is standard on the Canadian model, but not currently available for the US model. By ordering the requisite parts from a Canadian dealer, however, I will be able to have it installed by my US dealer. You might be able to do the same thing in reverse by ordering mud flaps from a US dealer. Check with your Canadian dealer first to be sure you do not need to do some other modification to install them on a Canadian wagon. In the case of the block heater, I had to get a few Canadian parts: not the heater itself (which is the same as on the previous wagon), but the requisite cable and the lower radiator hose, which has to have a different bend in it for the block heater.

I hope this helps.
That I could never understand why US cars don't come with block heaters or 4Matic as a standard option. In Canada they are standard and in fact the dealers advertise this as Canadian Advantage.

I live in Alberta so snow and grit is something we live with for good 5 to 6 months a year. We are fortunate to have a heated garage so the snow just makes a lot of mess - having said that it is a lot easier to kick it off the car before parking in the garage or it gets really messy. I did see mud flaps on eBay and since you can't buy them in Canada that will be the option I will take. The stones really give the sides and fenders a real bating so this will be a cheap solution to an expensive problems.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:48 AM

E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by Pcar98
Nice looking car. I have had my wagon for two weeks and I agree with most of your impressions. Here is what I have done and plan to do to address the items on your list:

--I would like to do this, also. I think I have seen one owner report doing this online.
* I am waiting for my dealer to come up with a list of the parts needed but so far no luck getting any stock.

--Fedex delivered the MB bars today and I had time to install these before dinner. Very sturdy and rigid. I had checked into alternatives like Thule, but they are more than double the cost, factoring in locks and keys. I will be mounting my extra long Thule ski box (for nordic skis), and then a couple of bike holders in the summer.
* I think the cross bars are $426 in Canada which seems reasonable enough and simple enough.

--I ordered a set of W213 sedan guards from China, and at the low eBay price, I will not hesitate to make modifications to get them to fit.
* I think I found the same thing, my dealer tells me that because of AMG package, they can't put mud guards on the car?

--Nothing I have seen yet. WeatherTech makes a rear cargo area protector mat with a flap that folds out. I may try installing an extra-thick clear film on the "threshold".
* I looked at that but, it seems that you always end up with a dirty part of the mat in the car, I guess 3M it is.

--I don't feel the need for this (yet).
* There is something about low gear Sport+ grunt that is so much fun, I think I'd like to convert more petrol into a proper engine noise!

--I already installed Blizzaks on the original AMG wheels. Fedex also delivered a set of new MB basic E400 wheels, and I will remount the all season fun flat tires on these. BTW, I actually prefer the look of the basic wheels to the AMG style.

You also mentioned the lack of a spare tire. I found a late model MB tire change kit (jack and tools) on ebay, plus a small 12V air compressor and tire plug kit, and stored these and a few other things in the space below the folding 3rd row seats. For trips out of town, I plan to carry an extra wheel and tire (from whichever summer or winter set I do not have on the car).
My old R Class had a compressor - that might be a good options. We often drive to Vancouver which on a 1200km trip has one dealership to deal with run flats and because most of the road is through the mountains there is limited to no cell coverage, and that is not very reassuring. You may be onto something.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
congrats.

We also picked up a 20180 Iridium Silver E400 Wagon, P2 (dual screens), with brown interior and night package. Our wheels are 18" with black painted with polished metal.

1 week later, she got OE tuning to get the hp and torque to around E43 AMG levels and keeping the soft ride. She drives like my old E55 when it was stock, except the sound of the exhaust does not compare to the Kompressor v8.

I added black painted fins for the bottom front bumper strips. If you notice they are dull black plastic. You can choose from chrome, carbon fiber or gloss black. Your car could use the chrome pieces.
They are only $40 buck on Ebay and they are simple to install: Just clean the surface of the ones on the bumper, remove the tape inside the new piece and place over the existing one.

The brown interior and dual screens are amazing, so its the NFC, super fast heating seats and arm rests.

The best part: Ours does not have the full air suspension... only the rear shocks are air suspension. Honestly.. the car is super soft and the 18" is just about perfect. I will look to upgrade to 19" wheels but not a priority right now.. I don't want to mess with the ride quality. So happy we did not get the old interior of the GL450/550.. could not justify the $80k.

We got ours from MB LN and would recommend Chris White/Internet Sales Manager. We got a great discount.. over the typical 7-8% other dealers offered.

-Joe

Last edited by TopGun32; 01-06-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: attachments
Old 01-06-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Don’t you void the warranty by performing after market tuning?
Old 01-06-2018, 07:16 PM

E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by TopGun32
congrats.

We also picked up a 20180 Iridium Silver E400 Wagon, P2 (dual screens), with brown interior and night package. Our wheels are 18" with black painted with polished metal.

1 week later, she got OE tuning to get the hp and torque to around E43 AMG levels and keeping the soft ride. She drives like my old E55 when it was stock, except the sound of the exhaust does not compare to the Kompressor v8.

I added black painted fins for the bottom front bumper strips. If you notice they are dull black plastic. You can choose from chrome, carbon fiber or gloss black. Your car could use the chrome pieces.
They are only $40 buck on Ebay and they are simple to install: Just clean the surface of the ones on the bumper, remove the tape inside the new piece and place over the existing one.

The brown interior and dual screens are amazing, so its the NFC, super fast heating seats and arm rests.

The best part: Ours does not have the full air suspension... only the rear shocks are air suspension. Honestly.. the car is super soft and the 18" is just about perfect. I will look to upgrade to 19" wheels but not a priority right now.. I don't want to mess with the ride quality. So happy we did not get the old interior of the GL450/550.. could not justify the $80k.

We got ours from MB LN and would recommend Chris White/Internet Sales Manager. We got a great discount.. over the typical 7-8% other dealers offered.

-Joe

I am not sure I can see the black fins so if you get around to it, perhaps a close up picture would do? Congrats on the new wagon - I have to say - I love mine as much as my old Alfa 159 Sportwagon, maybe even more if Alfa is not listening!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W205
Is yours a 17' model or 18' model? I just placed my order on 2018 E400 Wagon yesterday in Vancouver, however my sales told me the Air Body Control is not available as an option. And could you share a bit more on your air suspension? Thank you.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:37 AM

E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by 4dimension
Is yours a 17' model or 18' model? I just placed my order on 2018 E400 Wagon yesterday in Vancouver, however my sales told me the Air Body Control is not available as an option. And could you share a bit more on your air suspension? Thank you.

My E400 is the 2017 model. I have to say that, maintenance costs aside, the air suspension is great. For winter I can raise the car and get through a foot of snow without damaging the front lip, the same goes for parking and hitting the curb, although I prefer to back the car in. More fun comes from various drive modes. When you are in Eco the car is soft and smooth, however when you get to Sport or Sport+ the suspension lowers and stiffens quite significantly. Sport+ on Alberta pot holes is hard on the kidneys but on highways and off ramps and a piece of smooth tarmac it is a blast. Not sure with Merc is doing with the 2018 models, perhaps Air Suspension is now a part of some performance package and if so I would definitely get it.
The following users liked this post:
grossmsj (03-05-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by Szamot
My E400 is the 2017 model. I have to say that, maintenance costs aside, the air suspension is great. For winter I can raise the car and get through a foot of snow without damaging the front lip, the same goes for parking and hitting the curb, although I prefer to back the car in. More fun comes from various drive modes. When you are in Eco the car is soft and smooth, however when you get to Sport or Sport+ the suspension lowers and stiffens quite significantly. Sport+ on Alberta pot holes is hard on the kidneys but on highways and off ramps and a piece of smooth tarmac it is a blast. Not sure with Merc is doing with the 2018 models, perhaps Air Suspension is now a part of some performance package and if so I would definitely get it.
Thanks for the advise. Apparently, my sales made a mistake and it turns out that Air Body Control is available for extra $2000. However, for whatever reason, if you go to MB Canada, you won't find Air Body Control as an option during the config, which is a bit weird. Maybe they just hide the "unpopular" option? When I told my sales I wanted to add ABC to my order, he actually tried to talk me out of it and saying it doesn't do much. However, I have added it to my order anyway, and hopefully i wont regret it. Also i changed the aluminum trim into metal weave.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:26 PM

E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by 4dimension
Thanks for the advise. Apparently, my sales made a mistake and it turns out that Air Body Control is available for extra $2000. However, for whatever reason, if you go to MB Canada, you won't find Air Body Control as an option during the config, which is a bit weird. Maybe they just hide the "unpopular" option? When I told my sales I wanted to add ABC to my order, he actually tried to talk me out of it and saying it doesn't do much. However, I have added it to my order anyway, and hopefully i wont regret it. Also i changed the aluminum trim into metal weave.

I guarantee you that this will be the most fun you will have with a press of a single button.... Enjoy it, I would not have it any other way - just like the heated armrests!